what is the best pc

Discussion in 'polls' started by Rita, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmm, very interesting. I am quite partial toward http://www.tastycomputers.com myself, however I am looking for a system for my wife and I find the comments about HP quite interesting. At Costco you can configure your own HP system AND you have SIX months to return it, no questions asked, for a full refund, not even a reshelving fee. I always thought HPs were, well, not that good when compared to Dells or IBMs ... but they sure are cute (I'm thinking for my wife here) :rolleyes:

Acadia

2. f123

f123 Guest

If you're going to play game, then definitely make sure that the PC has an AGP slot. Those cheap $500 Dells are junks...no AGP, tiny interior. That said, I would not custom build because you cannot outdo the big vendors in features and value for less than $500 (no monitor).

AMD Athlon XP (2500 to 2800) CPUs are preferred over Intels in the $500 price range. No real difference in performance but you will pay less $.

Stick with 80GB or smaller HD. You will probably never use up all the space. Plus larger HDs have more disc platters...more noise, heat and less reliability.

Avoid PCs with DVD ROM and CD burner. More heat load for the system. If you need to make DVD movies, then replace the CD burner with the DVD writer.

Start with 512MB of RAM. 1GB is a waste of $ unless you have a high end box.

I saw several E-machines at Costco that would meet all of the above requirements. They are good machines for the $. Plus Costco has a 6-month return policy. HPs would be my distant second choice...because you will get less for your $. The build quality is just the same as those E-machines. Stay away from Wal Mart specials...especially HPs. These units, in general, have a higher failure rate than non-Wal Mart HPs. Go to HP and search for the XT983...a very popular but troublesome Wal Mart offering.

Don't worry about Serial ATA. If you are going to connect external devices to the PC, then make sure the PC supports HI SPEED USB! Avoid the PC/monitor bundle. Most of those monitors are not very good.

F.

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Something with duel Athlon 64 processors, 4 gigs of RAM, a couple of 500-gig HDs, and Linux... :D

On second thought, though, it would be even better if it weren't plugged in. :p

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, ritaann

I agree with anybody who suggested building your own, as they are best.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. f123

f123 Guest

6. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hello ritaann
    You might look at these......have not tried one but have been thinking for some time now i would give them a try when i need a new puter.....worth a look http://www.pugetsystems.com/desktop.php :)

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

For the money this is not to bad a deal. I have a friend that has one and it works very well. look here

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

ANY Computer that doesn't 'Dump' on you is a good Computer.....I'm very easily pleased........ :D :D

Cochise, :cool:

9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

10. none

none Guest

11. Taz71498

Taz71498 Registered Member

Well I mostly agree with what f123 has said.

I had mine built but I knew what I wanted in it, mine did come with a printer that was free after a mail-in rebate. I took it and the sold it. Just a soso printer.

Depending on the games you play, you will want a fairly fast processor and a higher end video card and at least 512ram that you can upgrade to a gig.

12. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hey Taz
    i have shopped around for awhile now and the best deal i can come up with(limited money to spend) is at walmart.its a compaq presiro 40 harddrive --512 ram-- windows xp for $499.00 i'd say it would be a good one for me since i dont do anything but play games etc(do'nt know how to do anything much yet)but i do intend to learn and have learned something new on here about every day--so thankful for this forum.

good day to ya :)
    Rita

13. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Check this one out:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4074922

Have installed these in a couple of cases for people who can't afford much. Not fancy--but work great, and super-quiet.

Comes with Linspire Linux installed, but you can easily blow it up and install your favorite Windows flavor instead.

FWIW...

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hey JimIT
    thanks for your link--am going to check it out now

Rita

15. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Well I like Dells. I have a dell but I'm also in the process of building my other compture so I can say either a Dell or a costume home build is good. As for compaq, my brother and a friend has a compaq and they seems to be less reliable. Now don't let anyone else decide what's best for you. ;) Pick what you feel is the best for you. Everyone here will have a differnet opinion on which is the best computer. I would go to epinions.com and other places like cosumer reports and check out what others have said and see what others report about the computer you are looking at buying. After all it's your hard earn money you're spending on a new computer. :) Anything to remember is that most of the new computers come loaded with junk you might not even use. They bloat down the new computers now.

16. none

none Guest

17. Vaudeville

Vaudeville Registered Member

I would say custom is the best to go with. I got a really good custom system last year, which I'm still using now. I haven't had any problems with it, and it didn't come pre loaded with any garbage software that I didn't want. I've also used computers by Dell and Sony and found them to both be pretty reliable.

18. deandean

deandean Registered Member

:D Hi I bought an EMACHINES computer from walmart and have had it 7 months, and it works really good and I have NOT had an issue with it yet? The cost was less than $700.00, with monitor,,no printer tho? But for emailing and basic things even video editing, it is a solid machine. Yes it was programmed with the ads, but I simply took them off, less than a days work!
    It is P4, 2.6 gb,, 80gb h/d, and 512 ram,included. I have NOT seen the same machine again,but htere are newer ones and are just as good if not better,,oh it does have dvd rw and cd rw as well!
    Yes I added a video card, and optical mouse, but little more and am very pleased, enough to share this info and recommend emachines,, generally I see them far less expensive than other names,and they do work very well. Now Best Buy has good buys on emachines as well as other names for not too high price!
    Hope this input helps a little?

19. bigc73542

I agree that emachines are a lot better computer than they used to be.

20. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

In my opinion, computers priced below $1000 are just low-performance PCs. And dell did sell a PC at $999 and that PC was a celeron processor. Most computers are value for money. Cheaper coms offer lower performance, more expensive coms offer higher and better performance.

21. bigc73542

In some cases that is true but not always, there are some fairly high performance computers under $700.00 The mistake some people make is thinking that you have to buy a well known brand name comp to get a good one. That is very far from the facts, there are a lot of good ones out there, all you have to do is a little searching.

22. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:) Now this could be a very touchy subject. I usually ask first what the individual wants to do with the PC. I can build an office type for less than $500US, but the more powerful Gaming Machines, now they can cost you Big$$. IMHO the best PC is one that stays running when your working. ;)

23. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I vote for building your own as well... It's a good learning experience. I think I'm going to build a small form factor, shuttle type system next.

24. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

good morning Bigc
    i agree--what do you think about refurbished computers.i have found several places selling them?

thanks
    Rita

25. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have only bought 3 computers. My first was in 1994. It was built the hard drive died this year. R.I.P. CPU was a 486 Intel with prewindows 95. I think it was called windows 6. I have kept the hugh expandable tower I am thinking of taking it to a shop and asking them to build a new one in the case?? Maybe it can not be done? Just gut it and use the case and the floppy drive.

Also have a walmart emachine nothing special good value. I also like my 38 month old Compaq. The emachine and Compaq run 24/7. Well protected of course.

Getting off track here sorry. Best is different for everyone. Best choice...I would say is have it custom built it fits your needs exactly and I would get the Windows CD. No rescue disks or return to factory status. I could go on...time to stop.....Just my 2 cents worth. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.