What is the best Antivirus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bazz, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi tsilo

For me - NOD support is fine. I'll let others take up your specific concerns.

I'm happy with NOD :)

2. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

1. Great hueristics ----- It's not GREAT and have many false positives
    2. decent detection--- Average detection
    3. 9-12mb of HD space needed---It means nothing
    4. low ram and cpu usage----With SpiderMail disabled...
    5. 15kb MAX signature downloads----because contains 2-6 signatures
    6. Minutly updating (few times an hour)---- But with few number signatures
    7. 9mb package download---It also means nothing..
    8. plenty of settings (*lol* lodore) --- setting is good for advanced users
    9. fantastic support --- in my recent post you see how is their support
    10. cool icon (*lol* lodore) --- coool? are you joking? I don't find Dr.Web-s spider cool.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i used to hate the nod32 gui because it looked like it was from windows 95 lol but now i love it even thou i dont use it i have tested it alot.
    so i could get use to the dr web interface.
    i havent tried any av's for a while i might see if i still hate the interface or not by trying it on my old pc again:D
    lodore

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lodore what do you think of the above post, *laughs it off*

6368 entries were added to Dr.Web virus database in January, 2007

2-6 updates and 20-30 a day just dont add up to the FACTS.

and dr.web will probably detect more 'threats' than NOD32 if you add the complete malware package, including adware/spyware/rootkits/script viruses etc etc, so for a user wanting a package to 'protect them' which is why you buy an antivirus, dr.web all the way here.

we must not forget, an antivirus serves to protect and shouldnt be just virus-based, even though dr.webs virus detection is still good, it adds alot more in the other departments when compared to others.

5. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

6368 entries were added to Dr.Web virus database in January, 2007

You know how many entries were added to Avira virus database in january 2007? You think 6368 per month is big number?

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

once again you are making yourself look stupid,

the amount is not vital,

you once said "avira added the TOTAL amount of dr.web in just 2 days or so, so avira can find all what dr.web can in just 2 days of updates"

its utter rubbish, so why dont you understand this?

all that tells me is AVIRA has massive updates for dialup users, and if it has hourly updates, the user will be forever downloading from avira.
    it also tells me that avira is adding alot of threats that are not real-world threats and just adding for detection and not being realistic.
    some programs can contain viruses that cannot be executed and some programs can have malware that just isnt a real threat, once again avira is showing its lack of knowing which to add and it looks more and more like a marketing scheme to me, even the avira website posts av-comparatives all over the place.

are you some-what worried by the progress of dr.web, is it somehow bothering you? how is your relationship with your father? *lol*

dr.web is great as it stands now and there are things still to come, a couple from the beta out now, its going places and apart from you, more and more are noticing the little doctor a bit more now, so its all good.
    dr.web doesnt have the marketing schemes of some products, they dont go down that route, drweb dont offer big corporate prices etc, just friendly staff trying to help its users, i like the company and the product, whether you dont, i feel i state valid facts about it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Well as long as Avira is adding the real world threats, and it seems they are, I don't care what else they add. I don't want any potentially bad stuff on my computer.

8. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Well... You know Dr.Web isnt't good AV such Nod32, Antivir, kaspersky or Norton. Don't talk about Dr.Web is really good! Probably you think users with small experience will hear you, but... all we know what is Dr.Web...

9. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Yes, I cannot disagree, they certainly have some very vocal supporters here at Wilders. :D :ninja:

I think all AV's that do well in Av-comparatives promote this on their own sites, I know nod32 does and I've seen kaspersky mention it before too, it's to be expected.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

users with small experience?

so people who use dr.web have no or little experience, i aint the one making such statements as "Avira add all dr.webs database in just 2 days of updates"

you silly fool!

all your posts are just full of BS and lies, maybe your life isnt as good as mine, all anger and lies leads a path to an unhappy one :D

------------------
    sure its good for avira, its not me doing the bashing here :)

i think what avira offer as a free solution is great, just has the AOL and avg are.

it gives users a choice for great security if they dont want to pay, and long may it continue, but to put in comments about dr.web when hes talking utter rubbish is just wrong. :D

11. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

IMO KAV will have better detection than Avira when they new heuristics appear, not mentioning the PDM that in my own tests detect 100% of all trojans, downloaders and other malware. :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  12. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

CSJ - Why do you insist on centering your jaw for any fool flailing about? It makes no sense. Stupidity breeds stupidity. tsilo is just some poor ~snip~ who never got the attention he thought he deserved, so he acts out here, saying comments that are undeniably ignorant, so he can get that attention. And you're giving it to him. There is no need to sing the praises of Dr Web, or of NOD32, Avira, or Kaspersky. We all know them. Those who are banking on the future find the doc to be an attractive option. The rest speak for themselves.

Only help those that truly want it....let people that don't swing, miss, and fall on their faces.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  13. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Antivir, Dr Web and others mentioned are all damn good anti-virus programs, and whatever we choose to use will be the best for ourselves.

14. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I have used DrWeb as my main av for years without getting infected and I am a VERY risky surfer. So, here was the most important test for me. According to independent av-tests, there are many av:s which scored better in detection rates but for me the old good doctor has the best combination of total protection against all kind of nasties, usability, lightness, cure capability, lack of failures, price, short update delays which means the time to add signatures after the vendor has got the infected sample. There is just all that I want. :cool:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Nod32

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I full agree on having to like the gui to use a program. I too love the aVira gui. I did not like KAV gui as it is very unintuitive to me ...same with NOD32. I was always getting lost in both of those and had a terrible time finding what I was looking for. But avira is a breath of fresh air and not bogged down with unnecessary complexity either.

17. suedehead

suedehead Registered Member

for personal or home use, nod32 does a great job, plus the fact that it's free is a bonus. but for corporate use, our company's been using BITDEFENDER enterprise packs, and it works great http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-51-en--BitDefender-Professional-Plus-Client.html

updates are customized however way we like it. it doesnt eat up too much of the PC's resources, and it has yet to endanger our network by missing a virus or two. basically's its the easy-to-forget kind of application - which i think is a good criteria for a good antivirus.

18. the insider

the insider Registered Member

For me Avast! Home and AOL antivirusshield are the best because they are free and have a fair score. For sure NOD32 is the overall best but.... they can't deliver the goods (updates) anymore! You have to wait and wait until their server is free. People say that this is only for those who use the trial version but I don't buy that ... This entreprise is lacking behind in the exploitation of their succes product NOD32. Kaspersky .... well their customer service simply doens't exist ! Good product but bad company

19. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Silly fool - man who think Dr.Wb is #1

20. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Funny feeling this thread will get 'moderated' real soon :isay:

21. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    AntiVir free and Avast Home...:D ;) :thumb:

Both are free and does their jobs well like paid programs. I visits lots of nasty sites without being infected using these two antivirus. Sometimes it catches those many things and could not infiltrate my pc. :D

For paid one I think, NOD32 it is very light on my system and very trusty. :thumb:

22. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Hi Bazz

Antivir is good, if you want a change my recommendation would be to trial several and then stick with the one you like the best.

A down-side of threads like this is that you get the fans of a particular product forcing their oppinions which are usually biased, (I'm also probably guilty of this in the past), the only way you will really find your 'best' is by trialling the ones you think you may like and choosing your favourite.

In reality there are pros and cons of all antiviruses out there, so I would not listen too much to anyone who tells you a particular AV is 'the best'.

Regards,
    Londonbeat

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i can be gulty of that as well:D
    but thats why on post 11 i noted some good and bad points about 4 av's
    and try to reccomend around 4 to try.
    lodore

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

So you honestly think it great that aVira detects the entire Systinternals zip folder as a virus? I think that is stupid. I also think it stupid for avira to detect (and bother me about it) stuff like keyfinders and various programs that are NOT in anyway malware. aVira even says that the user.js file from one of my Fx profiles is a virus and there is more dumb stuff like that.

I really like aVira but a lot of FP's put me off with any AV that does that. It is a hassle to have to exclude all this stuff that shouldn't be detected in the first place. Viruses and trojans should be detected and not anything else. If I wanted spyware detected, I would get a dedicated antispyware detector. That is not the job of my AV. Its job is to detect viruses, worms and many trojans. If I was real worried about trojans, I'd get BoClean as I don't expect my AV to do as thorough a job as a dedicated anti-trojan application would.

25. lacunas

lacunas Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.