What is that I am hearing about IMON ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by tempnexus, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfe

Wolfe Registered Member

Many are merely guessing and commenting on their own guess. Fail to so logic in doing so :rolleyes: .

Take the common road: wait and see - comment after experiencing the facts. I for one am a happy user, and will refrain from comments about updates/uogrades (symantics really!) until I do know what the heck I'm talking about hint...

2. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

For want of a better word, perhaps additional extra's would have been better. ;)
    However, until we see what is on offer I may have used the correct word first time around. :)

3. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I'm not happy to read this as I just purchased Nod32 & finally got all the different programs setup. I have alot of experience with Suites and they always have a weak spot .I finally decided to do separate programs this year because of the amount of 'nasties' on the internet. I've not seen one suite able to protect as well as one would want.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Did I mention SPECULATION nothing but SPECULATION at this point in time, and just in case somebody thought I was not very clear:

[BOUNCE]It is ALL SPECULATION[/BOUNCE]

Blackspear.

5. apm

apm Registered Member

Since Nod32 added HTTP scan to Imon, I experience the "browser hang" problem as described above. Even though I disabled HTTP scan, the problem still exists. I've waited long time for Eset to improve, but I'm disappointed. The latest version (I'm using 2.51.20 trial) still causes this problem.

The problem is that, when I have Imon enabled(HTTP scan disabled), and open several browser windows(e.g. 3 established connections), after some time, the browser windows subsequently opened cannot connect to net(blank, but the win icon (IE6) indicates loading), followed by the already opened and downloading browser windows to lose connections.

To cope with it, I have to close all browsers, disconnect my connection (ADSL), re-login to my windows XP and reconnect to net. When I totally disable Imon, there is no such problem even when downloading more than 10 files simultaneously with IE, but I have no POP3 scan, which I think is a significant part of a virus scanner but not HTTP scan.

Other virus scanners (Antivir, Dr.web, Kaspersky, Norman, Symantec, Mcafee, F-Secure...) don't have this problem.

I think Eset could consider to put HTTP scan as a extra plugin which can be chosen to install or not during installation, and disassociate it from POP3 scan.

I'm a trial user with WinXP SP2.

6. Jaska

Jaska Registered Member

I have had these browser-hangs too, but this is the first time someone says it is IMON that is causing them. I have been wondering what is the reason. This need a little more examination. Otherwise I am happy with my NOD.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Have you tried repairing Winsock per Blackspear's guide at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509&page=4? It resolves almost all network problems connected to IMON.

8. apm

apm Registered Member

My Winsock has no problem.

Loss of connection only happens when I have Imon enabled, with or without HTTP scan. If without HTTP scan, the time taken to connection loss is longer, but it happens. I never touched Winsock or other TCP/IP registry before or after install/uninstall Nod32, I have no problem in my connection when Imon is disabled.

I've tried many AVs and firewalls, and I've tried many times with different settings in Nod32, only when Imon enabled the problem appeared, I believe it is Imon causing the the problem. When only few opened connections it is ok, no problem with connection. But when more opened connections, say downloding 5 files and open 5 IE at different websites simultaneously, connection loss happen.

At later installations of Nod32, I un-tick the enable HTTP option, and just use POP3 scan, still cannot get rid of it. Maybe it is due to the trial version I'm using.

Also, HTTP scan slows down download speed.

9. apm

apm Registered Member

There should not be any conflicts due to other software, I install on clean system, only Nod32 one AV and windows firewall, and I tried on more than one computer.

10. apm

apm Registered Member

Nod32 supposed to be clean and lean. Not like those e.g. PC-Cillin or Norton or Mcafee. I really like Nod32, it has good detection rate, brilliant handling of infected files, nice GUI, my system runs very smooth, even don't feel an AV exists. Other AVs I've tried caused noticeable effects on system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.