what is Returnil?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by jmonge, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i tried it long time ago but i dint have the chance to get to know it that well.
    can some one explain me what benefits do i get out of this software?does it replace any antivirus software or antispyware?is it secure againts malware attacks in general?thanks in advance for replying.:thumb:

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Imagine like this. You install returnil. Reboot.Then you do whatever you want.Delete system files, install malware and whatever else you want. When you're done, you reboot. After the reboot, everything you done has disappeared. The computer returns back to the state it was when you firstly installed returnil. Imagine the advantages and disadvantages of that, considering that to pass from a "safe" mode to a "normal" mode you need a reboot.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I can only give general information as I don't know full technical details. That being said, it basically turns your system into a virtual environment, meaning that whatever happens to your system with it enabled, good or bad, is reversed upon reboot. Since it does that, MOST malware are rendered useless. Be aware there are SOME examples of malware that have been able to bypass it, and keyloggers/trojans can still send information back to their server since they are able to still read your information.

Since it's a virtual environment, it also has the benefit of keeping your PC clean of the normal buildup of junk files and keeps you from having to defrag the drive.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

so it sounds like sandboxie:thumb:

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

sounds good:thumb:

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what about getting returnil and online armor firewall,is this secure for malware,trojans and keyloggers?thanks in advance.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yep, it's a "whole system" SandboxIE :) But, there is some difference, I BELIEVE SandboxIE is the only one of those two that can block access to specified areas of the system, prevent one program from accessing internet/data through another program, among a couple of other features. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

OA by all accounts here is a dang good firewall, though keylogging protection may only be in the paid version (again, not 100% sure). I should think OA and Returnil would make a nice simple solution.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks dw426.now what about returnil+online armor+keyscrambler.is this good combo?

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If KeyScrambler doesn't cause you any issues, it seems to work ok per quite a few opinions. I used it for a bit, but when I went to uninstall it 1. It was hell on earth trying to get rid of, 2. My keyboard quit working and I had to reinstall the normal keyboard driver to get going again. I'm staying away from it for that reason, but that doesn't mean it's a bad program for others.

11. Creer

Creer Registered Member

The same function as Returnil has ShadowDefender, so you have alternative.

Yes, keylogger protection (kernel, other) is in paid version of Online Armor, here you are Comparison: http://tallemu.com/comparisons.html

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks creer and dw426 for replying.

13. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

I have had Returnil on my machine for quite a while, don't use it a great deal unless visiting strange places ;) but what I find it ideal for is
    a) when my son is using the computer I enable it so that if during his period of browsing the web he should pick up a drive by or click on something he shouldn't that starts giving annoying pop ups or whatever all I need to do is reboot and its gone. A clean machine. :D
    b) If I want to try out a software download that doesn't require a reboot I can play with it for a few hours, decide if I want it or not, if I don't a simple reboot and its all gone, no uninstalling, cleaning up the registry etc. :thumb:
    As I said, I don't use it a lot but its free and ideal for what I want it for.
    And yes it does run alongside OA without any problems.

Ian

14. emperordarius

You can also try Clean Slate, it's like Returnil, but you don't need any reboot to pass from a protected to normal mode

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

really,do you have the link?and is it as strong as returnil?thanks all:thumb:

16. Long View

Long View Registered Member

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thank you very much:thumb: i will check it out

18. emperordarius

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is it as strong as returnil?did you test it?thanks for the info:thumb:

21. emperordarius

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

23. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Using Returnil Premium - I don't remember now if only the version Beta 2.1 :( - you can also enable the " anti-execute protection " and the " file protection " features to emprouve his defence power. :)

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks, i just got a 1 year free licence for the beta 2.1 premium.i will try it.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.