What is really sensible in terms of PC security?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by q1aqza, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarke

Clarke Guest

Hmm , looking thru the thread, I'm amazed everyone is using so few security programs for protection.

Just a hardware firewall, Personal firewall, anti-trojan (plus backups), anti-virus (plus backups), antispy/adware(plus backups), registry/file monitor, webproxy, tripwire ,a secure browser&email client etc

Just asking for trouble if you ask me.

2. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Well I don't use all of that.. but most.... anyone who has never ran this stuff and IS on the internet is only naive "I can be bold enough to say that" because "everyone" that finally runs it, are shocked at the constant barrage of attempts for stuff to enter their computer and the constant filth of pests and trogans that DO get on thier system and slowly chock the life out of thier stuff. There is a reason the people feel they need to format on a frequent basis!... those are the ones that don't run this!

Along with the need to use this in todays internet world.. the computers have gotten fast enough and ram big enough that you don't even notice it whether its on or off?.... But for those same reasons.... is why trogans and pest and even viruss can run rampant without being noticed many times... because the computers are fast enough and enough excess internet bandwidth is available to handle all the invisible crap!

I feel for those who have slow systems and try to play on the internet now a days!... they can't run the protection they need, yet they can't handle the bog all the trogans give either?...
    The bottom line..... its just like sex in todays world.... if your gonna play unprotected.... you probrably have stuff and don't know it!

I challenge you to install even the trial version "for fun" and see what you have!

It seems like the more I learn.. the more software I run to protect myself... but I too do not want to comprimise performance.... I don't have too!... and anything out there that chokes my computer is no better than the trogans I attempt to remove! s So I don't run it.... I've tried a few and trashed them... but I like the mix I have now. NOd32, pestpatrol 4.0, spybot, tweak xp pro 4.0, reghealer "excellent", and regmechanic... "although not sure I need that one now" but its very safe and easy to use for the novice user.

3. still_longhorn

still_longhorn Registered Member

IMO what is sensible is being able to use your PC without being bogged down by too many security processes on one hand, or being bogged by too many "unknown" processes running in the background, on the other hand. Sqeaky clean leads to paranoia while recklessness is just as undesirable.

I use the net to have fun and being paranoid is not fun at all. Oh, I can handle the occassional infection I pick up from time to time. For serious work, I use a PC that rarely gets connected to the net, if ever! This machine right here will see it's HDD reformatted again and again and again in spite of some spartan defenses I've installed. Its not that fast as it is an old 1.7GHz Pentium 4 but it can surf faster than some more powerful systems bogged down by paranoia. (I've had to reformat my HDD only once in two years.)

BTW, I am into computer security and consider spyware as a threat and a reality. AIDS is a threat but it doesn't stop me from sex. And condoms remove most of the pleasure. (Sorry mod, but I couldn't think of another analogy....)

4. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

ok.... If I had a slower system.. I would have to choose between pleasure and safety.......
    Again similiar to a relationship... pay the price and you can have both... if you want your pleasure without paying, you a take the risk.

I already feel like the whole world is on my hardrive.... I have almost instant access when I click on things?

To each his own..... but its ok to run what you want if your system can handle it.......
    no problem pulling a boat if your engine can take it.... you don't even notice!
    I like the fun a boat gives me... and I like the fun a fast computer gives me..... I can hardly tolerate working on a slow computer now.

So I'm spoiled... I agree.... :doubt:

5. still_longhorn

still_longhorn Registered Member

In my place of work, we have a T1 connection and I bet that even my 1.7GHz P4, if connected there, could outperform most of the P4 HT machines in this forum connected to ADSL. We have reached a plateau where additional power has become limited by our inet connections. The point is, the PC's we use at work are bogged down by protocol other than just spyware that robs one of the pleasure of surfing all in the name of security. A good number of our newer PC's are P4's 3.66 HT's which IMO are not necessary for business but are more suited for gaming activities.

Oh well, I come from a generation that saw the old XT's at infancy where one had enough time for a cup of coffee at boot up! We had less cares then and we programmed our own utilities using pure assembly language. I guess you're right.... if you've got the power, use it! It does make things easier but not necessarily more pleasurable....

6. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: :eek: :p This subject appears to come up quiet often, and not only here at Wilders but on other BB's as well. Right off the bat I want to state this reply is just my opinion, and please take it as that, nothing more nor nothing less.

(1) Common sense. If you don't know the source beware!

(2) Set your security level to where you are comfortable, then leave it alone.

(3) Use whatever programs you think will provide you protection, then keep them up to date. They should cover all the different type of infection possibilities. Good free ones could do quiet well, depending on ones usage.

(4) Have a plan for security in regards to your machine and keep to it.

(5) Have a good restore plan just in case.

(6) Check your system on a regular bases for all possible infections.

(7) Practice save computing and check if your machine starts to preform different than it has done in the past. If this applies, do so A.S.A.P., do not wait.

(:cool: Remember there is no such thing as a 100% safe system or guarantee of one.

There you have it folks, what I think is sensible in terms of computer security.

Thanks
    wildman
    :D :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.