What is really sensible in terms of PC security?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by q1aqza, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I was trying for irony there. Guess I failed.

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

OK, the original poster posed the question: What is really sensible in terms of PC security?

Along those lines I will answer:

HUMAN INPUT IS #1
    Do not open unknown emails/attachments, hell even 'known' ones could have been spoofed, lol.
    Do not auto click on anything/anywhere.
    Do not have ANYTHING [for me] set to auto download. [I have EVERYTHING set to manual download/update. Turned off Auto WU's; AV; set ActiveX to prompts; Set downloads to 'Always Ask', etc.]
    READ every prompt/alert that may come up and try to understand it before hitting YES/OK/Closing it.

Apps:

#1 without a doubt in my humble opinion: A DAMN GOOD FIREWALL [unless I missed that, I did not see anyone list it]

#2: A very good AV. One that is a very recognised at an overall detection. OK, I personally use KAV 4.5 PRO and it really does have a superb detection rate overall. Yes, I am using the advanced extended data bases, which is NOT for everyone. Other AV's provide very very good protection but some do not have good unpackers, trojan detection, etc. Repeat, my opinion, but whatever you use, is GOOD for YOU!

#3: Get a good HOSTS file. That alone will drop a lot of sites in Restricted Zones protecting you from ActiveX/Scripts, etc. for IE. I use Eric Howe's IESpyAds and merge couple others with it.

Someone asked for a "barebones" 3 apps to use. I just gave it. :)

Of course, Windows Updates is the norm for critical updates only.

Yes, if you look at my sig, you will see a lot of apps in there, and I do use a LOT of DiamondCS products which we all know are brilliant. :)

The Big 3 Extras: [Not in order of preference, but I would not do without].

Scripting Program: WormGuard
    Trojans/Checking each .exe before start up: TDS3
    Running Process Protection: ProcessGuard

General: SpywareGuard; SpywareBlaster; Spybot S&D; AdAware.

I only recently switched over to Firefox/Thunderbird for configurability and features, but I do not hesitate to use IE and Outlook Express at all, as long as you use commonsense and get settings correct. I used [and still do] those for years, with no problems. [Especially having OE to Read in Plain Text].

I must say that since delving deeper into security, plain old commonsense/logic still prevails. For me what apps I use is the best.

Cheers, TAS

3. Tassie_Devils

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

A couple of other programs that can go a long ways for prevention are Qwik-Fix (http://www.pivx.com) and Prevx (http://www.prevx.com) They do stay resident, but don't really slow down your computer.

So you asked the question of whether it's really necessary to run 10 programs all at once, and got responses detailing many different programs. I guess the answer is that it really all depends on what you need/want. What you might want to do is download some of the top scanning programs and run them to identify any problem areas, from there you can build a collection of software to prevent any future infection.

There are a lot of things you can do in terms of prevention that don't run resident and take don't take up any resources: Spywareblaster and IE Spy-Ads for spyware (Supertrick XG also looks like a good one, does the same thing as IE Spy-Ads and a little more), the services that Tassie Devils mentioned (this actually FREES UP resources), and one thing that I haven't seen mentioned is SafeXP.

Whether or not you NEED the extra stuff that runs resident, like a Trojan Scanner, really depends on you. There are plenty of pros and cons to weigh; how often you get infected, how much risk you are at getting infected, how willing you are to reformat should you get infected, whether you would rather give up resources or personal time, what you have to lose if you end up infected with a piece of malware designed to steal your personal info/passwords, etc.

I personally run between 6-8 resident security programs at all times, a few more on-demand periodically (scheduled automatically), and take as many preventative measures as I can. This loss of resources affords me the piece of mind of not having to worry about infection nearly as much, not having to spend time running scans and looking around for suspicious activity, and not having to reinstall until I'm ready to (at least not for malware) I've also found a good combination of software that really doesn't slow my system down at all, and leaves plenty of resources for the rest of the things I usually do. Just like any software (or food or clothing, for that matter) you want to look around, try things out, and eventually you'll find your own ideal combo.

It should be noted that I am also a *little* paranoid, I get a lot of spam (the source of my last infection that ended up deleting a LOT of stuff, including some important stuff), I occassionally use eMule, I know my email address is in the address book of a lot of people that are at a much higher risk of infection, etc. I also do fraud prevention for a living (for now), so I talk to a LOT of people that have their identity stolen, and I think about that every time I log into my online banking, buy things online, etc. I just have a lot of pop-ups telling me what's going on in my system, that may not be convienent for some, but I actually prefer it.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, doesn't do any of this stuff; doesn't keep anything on her computer that's overly important or irreplacable, doesn't do online banking or shopping, doesn't get much spam or important email, etc, so she only has a few resident programs and a few scheduled scans, and has never had an infection (beyond spyware, which is now a total non-issue on her system thanks to some preventative measures and Prevx)

So yeah, it's really all circumstantial. Hope this helps.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Yup, you missed it, number 2 on my list... :D

Good post Tassie :D

Cheers :D

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Unfair Blackspear, the fur must've been over his eyes (nice run Tas, yeah Black Viper's a good site, straightforward).

@ Notok, good follow-up!

GF :D

7. Blackspear

Nah, reckon he was too busy nawing on someones bone at the time... :D

:D :D :D

8. Tassie_Devils

Oh you guys, give a little furry fiend a break. :rolleyes:

Thanks Blackspear and sorry, I did miss it, :oops: dang.

My only excuse, my eyes are watery, my nose is running, my head aches.... yep, you guessed it, got a good dose of a cold.
    :mad:

And a nice post by Notok ;)

Cheers, TAS

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, I’ll throw my opinion into the fray here.

Your very first layer of security is common sense and practicing safe hex, which you probably already have a fair amount of or you wouldn’t even be asking these questions, which, unfortunately, most people never ask.

The next layer of defense would be BOTH a hardware and software firewall; even the technician who came to my house to install our Broadband uses both. Again remembering that all this is my opinion, ANY brand of firewall you feel comfortable with should do you. If you feel comfortable with ZA and it works, no need to change unless you want to have some fun and discover new software (a very legitimate reason to change, by the way, but not necessary).

Anti-Virus, I am a minority voice here, feeling the NAV that you currently have is just fine, if you have a modern, powerful pc; I would not recommend NAV for an older system. NOD is excellent having used it myself for two years. Again, if what you have works and you feel comfortable with, why change unless to experiment (play).

Many folks are starting to discover the benefits of AdAware and Spybot; both are recommended for at least weekly scans. Since the free versions only come up when you need to scan your system, there will normally be no system drain of any kind; just bring them up, scan, take them back down.

Anti-Trojans: In my opinion the great-unsung hero of the security world, you simply don’t hear that much about them but seeing as Trojans can hurt you more than any virus or worm can (hurt you personally, not your pc), I feel much safer having one complement my AV. Brand, take your pick, I use BoClean because of its ease of use, a true set and forget program but use any that YOU want to, don’t let others dictate.

Backup software. Possibly the most important and also my personal favorite, and besides, you should have backup software anyway even if there were no baddies out there trying to get you. If, despite all your efforts, a cleverly designed new baddie, or through a temporary mental slip up, you still get infected by something simply “goback in time” by wiping out your current infected system and replacing it with a clean, uninfected copy of your system from a couple of days ago, or even a few minutes ago depending upon what product you use.

Good luck,
    Acadia

10. Tassie_Devils

Very good point. I think q1aqza should get a good overview from all the posts. :)

TAS

11. Blackspear

Forgot to add that one, I use Replicator by www.karenware.com for backing up across a network and to a 2nd removable hard drive...

12. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Tas, I believe that would be me. Only purchased a comp less than four months ago, and sustained a nasty virus the end of my first week. This may have been a blessing in disguise (accelerated the figure it out objective) as I've become a far more discriminating web user.

"Bare Bones Apps," - Check.

Not that these are installed (S & D only, HJT, CWS on system) but as you've stated Notok, a "good" idea.

"Scanning Software" - Check.

I'm in the process of this right now (been following the threads and weighing my options, lurking about) and feel I'm close to a decision that'll work for me, taking heed to Notok's advice and info I've read. Though I must say (aside from the fact there's really nothing on my system), with my lack of technical computer knowledge, setting everything up again would possibly become my next "blessing".

"Backup Software" - Pending...

Thank's All,
    GF

13. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Tassie_Devils, you missed it twice, look at first line in my post:

14. Tassie_Devils

Tassie hangs the little furry stuffed head in shame. :D

Sorry Stalker... I sort of went looking as in itemised listings quickly and never read properly, which I hate, as I like to read all posts and my only excuse is this damn cold.

Oh Well.... at least it was covered and I think q1aqza should now realised FW is preeeeety important... LOL...

TAS

15. Blackspear

Who shot you and stuffed your head? Where's the evidence, I want to see the photo... Must have been that little cat seen here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=41294&page=3&pp=25

Anyway, I wanted to be the first one to take a potshot at you... :D Them Tassie Devils growl alot and are pretty mean...

Gotta run, gotta run, I sense that cat has a scope pointed at me :doubt:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

16. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Yes I have, thanks everyone. I'm trailling a few things suggested on this thread.

I like Outpost Pro and will probably ditch ZA . I have been trialling NOD32 but will start trialling KAV 4.5 Pro soon as i've read that it is very good at detecting Trojans and I would prefer to have (and ultimately pay for) a single product that is an antivirus which is also very good at Trojans. I am really impressed with NOD32 but I would also need to purchase a dedicated AT and I'd rather keep costs and number of programs down. Obviously my final decision will be once I've tried KAV. (My reason for KAV 4.5 rather than 5 is that I have a dual boot PC (WIN ME and XP Pro) and KAV 5 crashes WIN ME every time - even with a clean image of WIN ME without any other security software running !! - 4.5 installs and operates fine - strange one that)

Also, as per BlackSpear's suggestion I'm also using the JavaCool products (Spyware Guard and Blaster) plus Spybot with Tea Timer running and the free version of AdAware.

I am yet to try Firefox and Thunderbird but I can only try so many new things at once !!

BTW, I've never used Norton Ghost so much as I have in the past couple of weeks testing all this new software !! I think Ghost or similar program should be high up on the list of "security" programs as it is really your final get out of jail free if you get screwed!! I know it's not a security program in itself but know I would feel very insecure without it!!

17. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Blackspear, what do you recommend for a good powerful regcleaner?... I have tried "registry mechanic" but I know it misses alot... I have also tried "Reg Clean expert" but I feel it finds TOOO much! and it also warns quite well about not deleteing anything you don't know?.. well who knows the depths of the registry?.. not me! I need one I can trust. When I tried to do a registry backup and kept locking up my system... it didn't give me too much faith to even use that one at all?
    I respect your knowledge on the subject....

18. Blackspear

I use Registry Mechanic and Regseeker, they work well for me…

I’m no expert in this area, I just like the above 2 programs which I have found to be very good…

Hope this helps…

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Regseeker is great program.

20. windstrings

why both.. you feel one catches stuff the other doesn't?

I know reg mechanic has a great reputation for being "safe".....but I think a bit too safe?

21. Blackspear

Exactly, a bit like Spybot Search and Destroy, and AdAware :D

22. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

This is a fun and useful thread.
    Hard to believe my comp was cruising along with NAV/NIS only up until 6 months ago, then first browser hijack.... first contact with Wilders and a whole new world...no real problems I am aware of since. Thankyou all.

What about HIP tools? is that the same class as scrpit protection?

I am not familiar with all of the previously mentioned tools, I note Giant doesn't crack a mention yet? still too early?

www.desktoparmour.com is a fun looking tool

for HIP http://www.pivx.com/
    and http://www.prevx.com/
    Pivx still free till I think late Nov '04

IMVHO the software firewall is either Outpost or Look n Stop.

DiamondCS all great tools.

I have reason to think that http://stormbyte.com/ have arguably the best AV app, but also think one is not enough.

Hope I haven't embarrased myself. Thanks for having me
    :)

23. still_longhorn

still_longhorn Registered Member

Why no mention of how to handle a situation wherein you are faced with a window with no way out but to click "OK" and alt+F4 doesn't seem to work?

Ctrl+w works for me...

24. Blackspear

Proxomitron with Filters will stop it in the first place, I'm using Kye-U's found here:

http://www.kye-u.com/proxo/forums/i...topic=131&st=0#

Hope this helps...

25. windstrings

I just installed reg healer.... It found about 700 more items in "easy mode" and about 2800 more items in advanced mode than reg mechanic did!
    I ran, scanned and cleaned in easy mode with no ill effects... beware.. unless you tell it not to, it will remove any exclusions you have in your windows firewall.
    I have a friend that ran it in advanced mode... his system was realatively new so it only found about 1100 items!.. but he ran it and everything also seemed to work fine with the exception of some of his personal settings were removed and colors of fonts had changed and the like....
    It made me a bit nervous so I chickened out and just stuck with the "easy mode"... but I"m amazed it found 700 more items than reg mechanic did!!!
    Also keep in mind that there are parts of the registry that reg healer even "excludes" as to not mess with and it still found so much?....
    I"m excited about this program....

It also has the ability to see problems and rather than just delete them like most other reg cleaners would do,... it actually fixes most of the problems!
    Finds new pathways and reroutes things that have gotten moved, or that pointed to an old program that had be updated... it simply changed the path to the new updated program rather than remove it.

So Far between NOd32 and cleaning my registry... Oh and also running Tweak Xp Pro 4.01.. Now my system is just too stinkin fast!.. I don't know how to acto_O :eek:
    I guess I'll have to deal with it? :D ........ *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.