What is Qmgr

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by notageek, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Every time I load msn, ZA says Qmgr wants to access the internet. Should I allow it?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

notageek - A really good rule-of-thumb when you're dealing with programs that want to call out and your firewall:

Deny it. If everything on your computer still works the way you want it to, then leave it denied.

If something quits/never starts working after you've denied it, try just allowing it when you need it to work ('Allow this time only' or, if you have to, give it Internet rights).

Do not, unless it's a last resort, give anything 'Server' rights unless it just flat won't work without that.

Then, start wondering why it needs server rights, and start looking around for a program that'll accomplish the same thing without having to have server rights.

HTH Pete

3. notageek

Thanks spy1. I never allow anything to act like a server on my computer. Not safe for me to do that.

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

It's the MSN Explorer or Messenger Queue Manager, and it's loaded by the "notorious" Loadqm.exe file.

Not a baddie in any real sense of the word, but unneccessary all the same.

You may be able to disable it from loading through Msconfig/Startup.

Description of the Loadqm.exe File (Q30941:cool:

5. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Go to www.blkviper.com as note that he recommends disabled for this. I set it accordingly and never noticed any effect. The rest of his recommendations are worth considering too.

Edited for tyop.

6. TonyKlein

I have it disabled as well. I also renamed the Loadqm.exe file.

Every time you upgrade MSN Messenger this needs to be attended to again, of course.

7. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

MSN Quisling, more like. Surprised you're using it, Tony.

8. TonyKlein

I don't use it very often, but I do have a couple of friends I chat with using Msmsgs every now and then.

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Searched and searched for MSM on here and couldn't find it. Where did it go? :D Pete

10. controler

controler Guest

I don't know if you noticed NO uninstall for Microsofts Instant Messenger but here is the file
    I just created a BAT file and added this to it to send to friends.

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

[glow=red,2,300]controler[/glow]

11. controler

controler Guest

I forgot to ad, the reason I un installed it is because it kept trying to load even after disabling it in outlook express and IE.
    Would always load the first time I started Outlook Express but not again during that same Windows session. I still didn't like it.

[glow=red,2,300]controler[/glow]

12. TonyKlein

There's an excellent reg tweak to dissociate MSN Messenger from OE:

Copy the Bold to Notepad. Name it Mess.reg
    Click twice to enter into the registry.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express]
    "Hide Messenger"=dword:00000002

That will effectively put an end to its behavior, without the need to uninstall it.

13. Time Out

Time Out Guest

14. TonyKlein

Hi TimeOut,

That's indeed what I meant when I said you'd be "able to disable it from loading through Msconfig/Startup".

Actually, I even went a step further, and deleted it from my HKLM Run key.

15. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

I've been curious about this for a long time. Thank you all very much for clarifying what Loadqm and Quality Manager really are! These are now disabled on my system. I really hate it when big companies try to do things with my stuff without even considering that they need my permission first. Idiots! Thanks again. I give this Topic two thumbs up! :) ;)

16. Prince_Serendip

Interesting little note here. Is there any relationship between the Quality Manager and the SQL Server? More info can be submitted if necessary.

17. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I use IEClean in which you have the option to not let MSN Messenger load at startup.

Quote from the Helpfile of IEClean:
    [hr]
    Microsoft is now including their own incompatible version of AOL Instant Messenger called "MSN Messenger" with Internet Explorer and it is designed to start every time you run Windows whether you want it to or not. MSN Messenger is a resource hog and can bring many systems to their knees as it drains resources. While you are online, MSN Messenger is in contact with MSN and presents a potential for system attacks.

Selecting this option causes MSN Messenger to fail to load at startup and prevents its icon from appearing on the traybar. It does NOT interfere with use of MSN Messenger if you want to run it from Internet Explorer and frees a considerable amount of resources by not allowing it to run unless you ask it to.

IEClean is Copyright 1996-2001 by Privacy Software Corporation
    [hr]
    www.nsclean.com

18. notageek

thank you all for answering my post. I'm really glad this board is here.

19. Prince_Serendip

;) Hi FanJ! I'll take your response to my question above "as a great big YES!" (to quote Bill Murray)

So, it would seem that I saw a big jump in probes to Port 1433 because I removed Loadqm from my start up list and completely blocked Quality Manager in my ZoneAlarm Programs list. You know, on the VisualZone attack list these probes look exactly like those of the SQL Server Worm. Makes me wonder. Hmmm.

20. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Prince,

I'm not so sure whether there is a relationship....
    But I admit that I have very little knowledge about SQL Server. Maybe someone else with more knowledge about that, could jump in.....

21. TonyKlein

Neither am I, really.

And, with all due respect, let's call it by its proper name: the MS Queue Manager (see the MS article I posted).

Cheers,

22. Prince_Serendip

I believe the link that Tony was talking about is:

http://www.aumha.org/elist.htm

The only thing I found on there corresponding to the SQL Server was the patch for the SQL Server Worm. I'll try Quality Manager next.

23. Prince_Serendip

I posted a query about any relationship existing between Qmgr and SQL Server at the Aumha.org Forum. I'll report on any reply I get there. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.