What is Macrovision Europe???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Sometimes when I check my Comodo Firewall's HIPS I see this file in there. What is this programo_O I'm not even in Europe.

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Cheater, from a google search from what I see its a company that sells license agreements or provides copy write protect such as DVD.Why it shows on your machine is beyond me.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

It is a licensing mechanism. Adobe (for example) installs a service (FLEXnet) which must be started to validate the software license each time you run the licensed app. I have seen some games using the similar licensing system. You can read more here what Macrovision does. If you disable/block this, an application will fail to read the license and thus fail to start.
    I guess your HIPS registered a driver loading when you run an app or a game which uses Macromedia licensing. Don't worry, it is not phoning home (Europe, wherever...), it is perfectly legal and unfortunately the neccesary evil.

Cheers,

4. cheater87

Does Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 use ito_O That is the last game I played.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

That game is over 10 years old. Unless they did a 'reissue' in the last couple of years and embedded Macrovision in it, I don't think so.

It would be hard to guess now what installed it. Adobe uninstalled Macrovision FLEXnet completely in my case, but some other app/game may have left it installed on your rig...

6. cheater87

I have Command and Conquer The First Decade which was released a few years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.