What is "invalid parameter"?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by rie, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rie

rie Registered Member

I just scanned a newly-downloaded file and TDS said "invalid parameter" and had the correct path to the file. That's all it said. It was written in the Blue color that says what the scan is doing, the first thing written on the line.. It said:
    "[BLUE] Scanning file: [/BLUE] (C:\location& name of file)."
    "[BLUE] Invalid Parameter:[/BLUE] (C:\location & name of file)."

I don't know what it meant, it didn't sound like an Alarm and it didn't say it was an alarm, but I got nervous because TDS believed something was not right with...something...about the file. I deleted the file.

It's a coincidence because just the other day I posted how I never get an answer when scanning one file! Now I suddenly get my first answer ever! This is the first time ever that I've gotten any result AT ALL from TDS after scanning a file. Did I have a bad file after all?)

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Oops, at the moment I don't know what that "invalid parameter" message means.
    I hope the DCS guys will jump in !!!

Do you have a log file that is mentioning it?
    In your TDS-3 directory in \Logs\aug and then the date on which you did the scan.

Maybe in general it is better to submit a file to Gavin so he can look at it.

Sorry, as I said: at the moment I don't know what that message means (shame on me ! :oops: ).

3. rie

rie Registered Member

Yes I have the log file for today and it's there!

4. rie

rie Registered Member

What it actually said:
    "[Invalid Parameter] Parameter Not Recognized: (Location & Name of File)."

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

Never seen this before, what is the file you were scanning ?

And what folder is TDS installed to ? also, what Windows version. If its Windows 98 and you installed to the default location, I would recommend uninstalling and moving the TDS folder to C:\TDS3. Then reinstall over that folder :)

6. rie

rie Registered Member

Oh no!, you've never heard of it?!! I was hoping you WROTE it! The file was an avi. I have XP Home, TDS is (wrongly, I know) installed in Program Files.

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Does the change of folder help ? please try that and let me know
    Invalid parameter passed to TDS to scan a file doesnt make any sense - never heard of this happening in THIS way. If you right click a file it should just work..

8. rie rie

rie rie Guest

I'm "rie" !! I couldn't post here anymore after I took the keyfile out of the folder. In fact I couldn't reach the main forum page anymore. I went ahead..uninstalled, reinstalled in C:\, put the keyfile back in...still couldn't post or even reach the main forum page. I re-registered as "rie rie" - it wouldn't even let me register with a username under six letters!...and didn't mean to break any rules by doing this. I couldn't even get to the home forum page just to peruse the forums, never mind posting!
    I guess I will be "rie rie" if I have to but I don't like it!

Anyway, as I said, I put it in the regular C:\ drive. I had already deleted the avi file that gave the "invalid parameter," so I cannot scan that file again to see if this solved it.

Are you saying those words "invalid parameter," were not coded into the program, and it's impossible therefore to see those words on the TDS screen? That's freaking me out.

P.S. Now I'm even having difficulty maneuvering to the "preview post" screen using this new username. It keeps telling me to specify my user name, even though I'm logged in. Then it won't let me post it until I input the username AGAIN...I must be from an alien world or something...!!

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Why did you take the keyfile from TDS? Hope you stored it somewhere safe as a backup. And did you first uninstall the exec protection before uninstalling TDS?
    What you do with TDS should never by no means effect on your forum entrance.
    I have no idea what you are all doing or experiencing and for what reasons.
    The forum entrance has to do with your browser and accepting cvookies and not suppressing references, but that part you can ask help for in the general forum parts. I just want to say the forum has nothing to do with your keyfilein TDS and where TDS has been installed on your system or anything else.
    The keyfile does effect however the ability to update your TDS and using it after 30 days of trial time and having exec protection installed and using that.

10. rie

rie Registered Member

I took the browser/login problem up to the Test Forum, and was helped there, turns out I was confusing the private vs. public forums plus maybe a few other things.

I do have the keyfile backed up on a floppy but didn't want it to get deleted while I uninstalled from the Program Files location, so I just dragged it to the desktop. I put it right back in the newly-installed folder location. (Then got confused about the two forums - the timing is what made me think it was program-related. But no, my fault totally.)

Oh no, I don't know what the Exec Protection even is!...I just uninstalled and reinstalled where Gavin said to put it, and stuck the keyfile back into the folder. What did I do wrong now?! ...(should I start another thread about that, now? ...or just stay here?)

Also still curious about seeing those words that I shouldn't be seeing! Maybe the file I was scanning was VERY BAD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.