What is ideal smart phone screen size?

Discussion in 'polls' started by aigle, Jun 22, 2013.

?

What is ideal smart phone display size?

1. 3.5 or less

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. 3.5 - 4

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. 4 - 4.5

13 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. 4.5 - 5

31 vote(s)
    44.9%
  5. 5 - 5.5

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. more than 5.5

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Well for me in Australia, the cheapest I can get a S3 for delivered is $490.

The clone was $150 including shipping and a flip case.

Edit: Also the clone gets a higher AnTuTu Benchmark score than the US version of the S3.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi! is this Haipai i9389?

How is the responsiveness? Any lag? Does it gets any hangs? How is the screen quality? How many days it took to reach to you?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  3. roger_m

Yes it is.

It's working flawlessly so far. The MTK6589 processor it uses is faster than the US version of the S3 - but slower than international version of the S3 and S4.

The fast processor, 1GB of RAM and Android 4.2 all make it run very smoothly. I've only had it for just over 24 hours so far, so have had not much time to test it yet.

Very good. I was concerned because the pixel density is lower than on my last 3 Android phones, but it is actually very good. I'm haven't used it outside yet - but it's safe to safe it will be hard to read in direct sunlight because it's not an AMOLED or ASC screen.

It took 18 days from the time of ordering to receive it. That was using Hong Kong Post for shipment - it is quicker (and slightly dearer) to use EMS or DHL.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Looks good. My only problem with this one will be being a copy cat. Also a bit concerned about screen resolution, wish they could had improved it a bit.

5. roger_m

There are many phones costing slightly more with a higher resolution. However the resolution on the Haipai is fine - the screen looks a lot better than I thought it would.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha personally if i get something chineses i would avoid the copycats but thats just me. :D

7. roger_m

I would prefer an original design, but it was cheaper to get a clone.

8. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I tried some but liked to prefer my Samsung Champ as it is cute and small, it can slide down on my fitting levi's jean pocket.

Big heavy phone is like carrying a 9mm pistol in a holster of your waist...and I don't like to carry gadget on my hands. More important to me is what it really does texts and call...and I still prefer to use my laptop for other things. ;)

9. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

While I appreciate the bigger screen sizes, they wouldn't fit the pockets of my jeans and I find them a bit too uncomfortable to carry around.

I also have a weird habit of spinning my phone in between my thumb and fingers at times (when waiting for something for e.g.) - obviously I can't do that with a bigger phone.

I don't know if I'll change my mind on this but I'm not going to discount it just yet.

10. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

For me 4.7"

11. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am getting tired of my 3.5" display budget level Samsung SmartPhone. As a phone it works fine, but with my limited web browsing, it is a "Pain". I currently have a T-Mobile No Contract Monthly Plan which I plan to stick with since I don't like Contracts.

I am looking at different options:

1. Buy the T-Mobile compatible LG Optimus L9 (4.5" Display) 4G SmartPhone (~$200).

2. Buy the Google Nexus 4 (4.7" Display) SmartPhone (~$300 to ~$350). It is not clear to me if this would fully support T-Mobile's 4G. No SD Card Slot which is a BIG Negative.

3. Buy the Samusung Galaxy Mega 6.3 (6.3" Display) SmartPhone (~$520). Not fully compatible with T-Mobile's Networks. May get 3G at best or maybe only 2G since it is an International SmartPhone.

4. Buy a Tablet (7" or 10") and tether to my existing SmartPhone.

Which of the above options would you select? What other options would you consider?

Thanks in Advance.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I would go either L9 or Nexus but prferably Nexus if you have the money, reason is LG support sucks and GUI sucks! (Not sure about the current L range but in the past they had a crappy GUI in their low/mid/high end phones and even though it was crappy it lagged like hell.)

I always thought browsing in my S2 was fine and perfect . . . until i tried the S3, i cant go back to anything smaller. I guess the 5.0" would be my ideal size as long as they keep the frame size similar to the S3. (Like the S4)
    Anything bigger than the S3 frame and its uncomfortable . . . in fact its already quite uncomfortable, i cant crouch, i cant drive comfortably, i cant tie my shoelaces, etc . . . its a PITA.

13. TheKid7

Thank you.

Now I am considering going for a higher cost SmartPhone:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 T-Mobile + 'Oversized' Battery + Custom ROM (probably CleanROM ACE)

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Not a bad idea, personally im not a Samsung fanboy but usually i do prefer their devices because it has a huge dev community/support. (Their flagship devices)

15. TheKid7

I am now thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy S2 TMobile (~$250).

I may wait for the new models to be released over the next couple of months. Maybe there will be some good deals on last year's models.

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The S2 is quite outdated already. :D

17. roger_m

I'm really happy with my Haipai phone. Really fast with no slow downs thanks to a quad core processor, 2GB of RAM, and Android 4.2. Reception is good, and screen quality is pretty good too - despite not having as many pixels per inch as my last two phones, it is nice and sharp and bright - I have it set on 25% brightness, and that is more than bright enough to be used indoors - but I have to bump it up a lot for it to readable in direct sunlight

Also, battery life is at 70% 24 hours after charging it.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

What was the price of it, the new Xiaomi Red Rice looks good for around $130-$200. Sadly it doesnt supports other GSM 3G bands.

19. roger_m

It was $140 including shipping.

I just had a look, and the Red Rice sells for $200.

20. TheKid7

Do the Chinese brands of SmartPhones have any models which are made to be 100% compatible with the USA cell phone service provider networks?

It looks like the Chinese brands of SmartPhones are mainly 'International' versions.

21. roger_m

You need to check the 3G frequencies the Chinese phone supports, and see if your carrier uses the same frequencies. If they both use the same frequencies then the phone will work in the US.

22. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Agreed. For me that's going to be not much more than a 4 inch screen.

Cheers, Nick

23. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´m not really into smartphones, but IMO the smaller the better, those big phones look so ridiculous. o_O

I think the iPhone looks pretty nice, I´m also interested in the new Samsung Galaxy S4 mini. :)

24. TheKid7

The Samsung Galaxy S4 mini has a 4.3 inch display.

I need to upgrade from my current 3.5 inch display. I am considering the 4.5 inch to 5.0 inch display size range.

25. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

At the moment I don´t really know which one to buy.

Just the other day I was looking at the new Blackberry Z10, and I found it to be too big, if I´m correct it´s 4,2 inch, so the Galaxy S4 mini is even bigger?

That´s weird. It looked so small in the Doutzen ad. o_O

http://www.samsunggalaxys4.nl/gratis-doutzen-flipcover-bij-de-samsung-galaxy-s4-mini/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.