what is "google analytics"

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Longboard, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I often see a flash in the Firefox 1.5 status bar when browsing that shows "..googleanalytics.com..." or somesuch.

Just wondering what that is?

I am not particularly keen on google tracking me or keeping a "helpful" record of my browsing if that is what is happening.

Can I opt out?

Is this a simple search tool?

or something a bit more sinister?

www.google.com/analytics/

Regards

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Attached Files:

3. tansu

tansu Registered Member

Google analytics are usefull for webmasters. Since I signed up my web site to google analytics I can track, which browser is commonly used so I may set my web design parameters according to it. Also I can see which operating system, from where they are connecting, from which web site they found us, and many other usefull information.
    While doing this I've never seen an IP number or anything about the identities of my users.

4. Longboard

Thankyou both.
    Can see the advantages for web masters ( if only all would write proper code then could really ditch IE for good)

Good to know personal info is not sent. Trusting Google is becoming a little harder as time goes by.

Thanks Ronjor, already have that extension and those options ticked and had forgotten about it!

Does it work?

Regards

5. tansu

tansu Registered Member

I also publish some of these analytics to my users. Since I care about where do they come from to my website, or will they return kind of parameters, I did not deeply investigate about the security of google analytics. I will go for it. And you can see the screenies I publish to my users, here:
    http://www.doctus.net/index.php?topic=667.0

6. Longboard

That could be an interesting fishing trip!

7. I downloaded google.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.