what is bite7e.tmp?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by siberianwolf, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siberianwolf

siberianwolf Registered Member

hi,
    for the last few days, there's this file named "bite7e.tmp" in temp older directory. --> "C:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\Temp\BITE7E.tmp"
    its size is about a hundred MB, more or less. i used a junk cleaner sw, but after every restart, this file gets created again & again.
    googled it but found nothing but a thread about combofix in which this file name was just mentioned only one time, and it was just mentioned in the combofix's result log.
    anyone got any idea what this is?
    p.s.: there were some sites claiming it was a legitimate win os file, but a few of those sites were marked suspicious by google's search results. and the rest didn't provide any useful info on it.
    thanks.

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Can you upload the .tmp to Virus Total?

Edit:
    Oopsies, sorry, I thought I read a 100 kb so it can't be uploaded.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Any info if you right click the file and select properties?

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

5. siberianwolf

siberianwolf Registered Member

thank you all, guys. surprisingly, the problem disappeared. that tmp file is gone for good from the temp files folder. when it was there it wasn't possible to mess w/ it, cuz windows kept saying it was in use by another app, etc, thus you can't do anything w/ it.
    i assume it's got something to do w/ shadow defender sw. cuz this problem started to occur after i installed it to give it a try, but then when i exited the protected mode, system reboot kept failing. my pc was stuck @ startup screen where you see the windows logo. after several failed attempts of hard resets, i uninstalled sd thru safe mode.
    when it struck me that the problem started after i installed sd, i decided to reinstall sd and then successfuly uninstalled it w/in normal mode.
    and the problem was gone.
    i'm not saying i'm 100% sure that sd was the cause of the problem. just assuming it might've something to do w/ it, since the problem appeared after the installation of sd, and disappeared after its uninstallation. and because i could hardly find any info on this tmp file, i got suspicious of it being a malware, so i wanted to ask your advice. but help's no longer needed.
    thank you all anyway.
    cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.