What is a good replacement for ZoneAlarm Pro?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mmiranda, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

What is a good replacement for ZoneAlarm Pro?

I basically just use the Program Control and Privacy Tabs. I don't use the (1) Antispyware, (2) Antivirus monitoring, (3) E-mail Protection, (4) Identity protection.

Despite the "spying" blamed on ZoneAlarm products, they still get good reviews and ZoneAlarm is still one of the best firewalls (based on reputation).

2. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Sygate 5.5 Pro plus Process Guard 3.41 may give nearly the same results, maybe more accurate then za pro.

3. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Comodo Personal Firewall. High quality, current and free without all of the extraneous crap that you don't want. This now is what ZA once aspired to be, IMHO. :thumb:

4. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I second that. I use Comodo on my system and it works great. Don't let the fact that it is free fool you. It is better than most paid firewalls. The next version of Comodio will also have full HIPS (Version 3).

If you feel the need to pay for a firewall, I hear good things about Outpost.

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

From most of the reviews that I have come across, Kaspersky, Outpost, and PrivateFirewall have come out well with most firewall testing. Comodo has also improved their product with the recent version releases. I currently use Zone Alarm on an old Windows98 machine and will not switch because of any potential problems with uninstalling the program since it is probably embedded deep into the system for over 6 years.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Comodo Personal Firewall!

I really like this firewall... :D
    Finally I found something that fits what I think that a firewall should be, and it's free... :thumb:

7. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. I was actually considering Comodo Personal Firewall and Agnitum Outpost Pro Firewall. And most of you actually do recommend Comodo.

Comodo Personal Firewall v2
    PROS: free, good leaktest results, good termination defense, PC Mag Online Editor's Choice, no extraneous crap (as what QBgreen said) that hogs resources, a lot of people seem to like/recommend it
    CONS: none really

Agnitum Outpost Pro Firewall v4
    PROS: good leaktest results, good termination defense, a lot of people seem to like/recommend it, old versions won the Silver Firewall Award on Firewall Leak Tester for 2 consecutive years (i.e., v2.5, v3.5)
    CONS: $39.95, resource hogger (supposedly, to reduce resource usage is to turn off some plug-ins - but that's the reason I want to change ZA Pro, because of the unused plug-ins), stability problems (compared to v3.5)

Although, I share the same concerns as ccsito. I have never uninstalled ZA Pro from my system since it's been working well, and now I'll have to take into consideration the possible consequences of uninstallation issues considering it has been embedded deep into the system for a while.

I have ZA Pro on my system for about a year already with NO conflicts/BSOD/resource problems. ZA Pro/SS has been an Editor's Choice and has won multiple awards and is hailed by many as 'best-of-breed firewall'. I was just annoyed by the multiple features that I don't use and the supposed "spying".

I'll keep Comodo as an alternative once my license expires or if I run into problems with ZA Pro.

8. vince35

vince35 Registered Member

I think you'll take the right decision.

I used to run Outpost Pro 2.7 so far, but now, I want to have an up-to-date firewall

I 'm testing Comodo and I'm really impressed :eek:

It is a very serious challenger for paid product like Outpost Pro, and it's free :-*

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Since ZA stopped supporting Windows98, I can't run the new "bigger" version anyway. I keep getting the prompt to update the version (I guess their software doesn't realize what version of Windows you have until you try to run the newer version). As for the spying issue, I guess since I have used the program since 2000, it isn't a major concern to my system at this point. I already keep getting tons of spam mail daily so they can spy on that if they want to. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.