What is a good free security software suite?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by solphusion, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAW

SAW Registered Member

one way to check for true 64 bit software is to open windows task manager and check processes tab, most software that is not full 64 bit will show a *32 behind it MSE is one of the few that is true 64bit.

Attached Files:

2. solphusion

solphusion Registered Member

For the sake of comparison. I'm trusting those independ lab tests: (off course they did not limit their test results on free produtcs, but this is interesting as well).

Final words:
    All in all together it looks like if you want to pay, that in terms of protection ESET is the best choice, with 67 Pass, 3 Fail from February 1998 to today in the Virus Bulletin history and two times "Product of the Year" as measured by av-comparatives. And in the recent "Whole Product Dynamic - Real World Test" of av-comparatives from January-April 2011 ESET scored second and blocked: 99,3 %. Symantec Norton is another interesting choice: With 55 Pass, 7 Fail from January 1998 Symantec is on of the best in the Virus Bulletin history, one time product of the year as measured by av-comparatives and the best product in the recent "Whole Product Dynamic - Real World Test" of av-comparatives (blocked: 99,5 %). Symantec was one of the few products recommend by av-comparatives for virus removal (the other was Microsoft SE) and Symantec scored in the top in performance (not heavy on the system - together with Microsoft). All in all together Avira, Kaspersky, F-Secure, G-Data and Avast are very good products, too.

Virus Bulletin "RAP-quadrant" (top corner, results with more focus on proactive detection "right side")
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RAP-quadrant-Oct10-Apr11-large.jpg

- Lavasoft Total
    - Coranti
    - Kaspersky Pure
    - Trustport
    - Avira Free
    - G-Data
    - Avira Pro
    - F-Secure Internet Security
    - ESET
    - Symantec
    - Avast
    - Webroot

source:
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index

AV-comparatives "Malware Removal Test":
    http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/7421/avcomparativesmalwarere.png

- eScan
    - Symantec
    - Microsoft

source:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/removal-tests

AV-comparatives "Performance Test" (impact of AV on system performance) - winners (December 2010):

1. Sophos
    2. Avast
    3. Microsoft
    4. eScan
    5. Symantec
    6. F-Secure
    7. AVG
    8. Avira
    9. Trustport
    10. Panda
    11. ESET
    12. G-Data
    13. Kaspersky

source: http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/performance-tests
    PDF: ~ Removed Direct PDF Link as per AV-Comparatives Request - See above page for the actual PDF ~

AV-comparatives "Summary Reports"
    http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8109/avcomparativessummary.png

all tests perfect (advanced+)
    - AVIRA Premium Security Suite
    - F-Secure Internet Security

most tests advanced+
    - Symantec Norton Internet Security
    - G-Data Internet Security
    - ESET NOD32 Smart Security
    - avast! Internet Security
    - Kaspersky Internet Security

source:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/summary-reports
    PDF: ~ Removed Direct PDF Link as per AV-Comparatives Request - See above page for the actual PDF ~

The "Whole Product Dynamic Test", is the most critical test where most products fail. The last year winners are:
    http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4681/avcomparativesdynamic20.png

1. F-Secure Internet Security
    2. Symantec Norton Internet Security
    3. Avira Premium Security Suite
    4. Kaspersky Internet Security

source:
    PDF: ~ Removed Direct PDF Link as per AV-Comparatives Request - See Whole Product Dynamic Tests page for the actual PDF ~

New 2011 Whole Product Dynamic Test, "Real World Test" - Overall Results:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/526/avcomparativesdynamicma.png

1. Symantec Norton Internet Security - Blocked: 99,5 %
    2. ESET Smart Security - Blocked: 99,3 %
    2. BitDefender Internet Security - Blocked: 99,3 %
    3. G-Data Internet Security - Blocked: 99,1 %
    4. Kasperky Internet Security - Blocked: 99,1 %
    5. F-Secure Internet Security - Blocked: 99,0 %
    6. Panda Internet Security - Blocked: 98,8 %
    7. avast! Internet Security - Blocked: 98,6 %
    8. Trendmicro Internet Security - Blocked: 97,8 %
    9. Avira Premium Security Suite - Blocked: 97,6 %
    10. webroot Internet Security - Blocked: 97,3 %

source:
    http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart2.php

av-comparatives history
    AV Product of the Year:
    - 2004: Kaspersky
    - 2005: Kaspersky
    - 2006: ESET NOD32
    - 2007: ESET NOD32
    - 2008: AVIRA
    - 2009: Symantec
    - 2010: F-Secure

source:

Virus Bulletin Test history:

- Avast - 41 Pass, 23 Fail from January 1998
    - Avira - 27 Pass, 5 Fail from February 2005
    - Comodo - 1 Pass, 2 Fail from October 2010
    - Coranti - 3 Pass, 2 Fail from June 2010
    - ESET - 67 Pass, 3 Fail from February 1998
    - F-Secure - 31 Pass, 12 Fail from January 1998
    - G-Data - 26 Pass, 11 Fail from November 2000
    - Kaspersky AV - 55 Pass, 19 Fail from January 1998
    - Kaspersky IS - 7 Pass, 1 Fail from December 2009
    - Microsoft SE - 3 Pass, 1 Fail from December 2009
    - Symantec - 55 Pass, 7 Fail from January 1998
    - Trustport - 14 Pass, 4 Fail from June 2006

source:
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index

For the near future I'm going to stick with Microsoft Security Essentials with Prevx. There are three reasons: Only Microsoft and Symantec scored best in the malware removal test - and Microsoft ranked 3. in the system performance test and it is free. Avast and Avira look interesting, too.

Thx for that info!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
  3. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

--I thought the OP was asking "free security software suite"...?

By "suite" it is a complete software application say, firewall,AV-antispyware/anti-malware,HIPS...right?

If so, then by the given suggestions/combinations it's a "free layered security combination" --like a suite but not "free security software suite". The only one I can think (as pointed out by jmonge / Noob / SweX)of in that context is CIS ver5.4 and Outpost Security Suite FREE v.7.1. Returnil Systems can be but no firewall. I heard of the Rising Internet Suite but after a while the free was only in "China"(that's good, we don't need that after all). "Suite" or "free layered security combination" has to have a firewall. There were no firewalls discussed except CIS and Windows Firewall Control(JimboW).

Topic pretty much concentrated on realtime AV and on-demand scanners.

--This was the only mentioned alternative to a suite combination.

Anyway since the OP was the one who suggested to consider his "given" combination..that is considered:)

So jumping on the trend (in reference to the OP's question and his "given" combination for consideration):

"good free security software suite"
    - CIS ver 5.4.189068.1354 or CIS ver 5.3.50343.1237
    - Outpost Security Suite FREE v.7.1
    - Sully's combination

"free layered security combination"
    - AvastFree/AviraPersonal + PrevxSOL facebook edition + MBAM free/Superantispyware Free + Online Armor free
    - AvastFree/AviraPersonal + CIS(without AV) + MBAM free/Superantispyware Free + GesWall/Bufferzone Pro
    - CIS(with AV) + PrevxSOL facebook edition + MBAM free/Superantispyware Free
    - AvastFree/AviraPersonal + Outpost Free Security Suite(without AV) + MBAM free/Superantispyware Free + GesWall/Bufferzone Pro

Returnil System Safe FREE + AvastFree + Windows firewall properly configured might suit you best. PC system state will be good as new everytime you restart.

Some forgot about Superantispyware Free which also have removal features.

--So it's for her to use and you to repair huh..(lab tests will probably mean nothing to her she'll do what you say..)..so one of the very good advices that I learned here was keep it simple/light (layer "light" if you will "layer") so "she" can understand it more each day. And after weeks/months she can be on her own. Don't flatter her with your brain but let her brain work as well "one day at a time". She will appreciate it more. She'll love you more :) Some good read here especially the tips/approach for the elderly below:

Would this be a good setup for a novice PC user?

Security Setup for girlfriend

setup for neighbour

Protection for elderly person

Good luck :)

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  4. BenMar522

BenMar522 Registered Member

This is a no brainer...

I use this combination on 2 of my pc's:

Avast 6 (Free)
    Prevx Safe Online Facebook (Free)
    Outpost Firewall (Free)

This is a very light and effective setup.

Best of all...it's free!:thumb:

Regards

BenMar

5. zip

zip Registered Member

MSE | MailWasher | OpenDNS | Opera | SpywareBlaster | WinPatrol | ZoneAlarm |

6. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

MSE, Prevx SOL/Facebook, Sandboxie Free, Returnil Free, Windows Backup and Restore.
    And learn how to make your version of Windows more secure.
    Hugger

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

There's another one called Forticlient Standard. It's not as good as Comodo or Outpost though.

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

From a security or performance point of view there is really no advantage of full x64 versus combined x64/x32 (e.g. like Avast). Why ask for a suite, a best of breed approach nine out ten times outperformes a suite. Incompatibilities are rare these days, so I am not sticking to a suite.

Use either Microsoft only (best chance of highest compatibility) being : Windows 64 Firewall - 2way with MSE and IE9 (has excellent smartscreen filter)

Or use Avast with fileshield and sandbox only and PrevX Safe online freebie for Facebook, use Windows FW for inbound. Use Chrome as your main browser (with Mcfee Site Advisor) I can asure you, that is a lean and mean setup.

Add Clearcloud of Sunbelt as your DNS service. Use Hitman Pro and MBAM for on demand anxiety scans (you won't find a thing, but you will feel better) as a second safety net for both tips. I asume you will be so sensible enough to use UAC.

Regards Kees

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  9. solphusion

solphusion Registered Member

THX! Very good answer (I liked the other answers, too). Sorry that I forgot to mention that a software firewall could be included in the "free layered security combination" - like Online Armor, ZoneAlarm or the firewall part of Comodo.

But answers like this make me stick with the Windows firewall without HIPS. The thing is that the main reason I used a software firewall was to stop the software from phoning home. And some years ago there was no Windows firewall and then it was not very good. But that seem to have changed:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1798688#post1798688

Seems like the system-rollback is not any longer part of the free version of Returnil System Safe 2011. Here is a amateur test of the paid Pro version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_m_alceAkU&hd=1).

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  10. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

ClearCloud DNS is able to block unwanted software from phoning home. :)

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Not if they are IPs.

12. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

True. ;)

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Aside that i love Pop Ups.
    The thing is that they are getting over enthusiastic with the whitelist.
    Just install it and see it by yourself.
    I feel they are whitelisting every single publisher from the internet.

The last time i checked, which was 4 months ago. They had 11k entries in their whitelist. I scrolled down like 1000, and i can guarantee you that i didn't know 99% of it.
    I don't mean that i should know all the whitelist companies but come on, most of those applications are random apps that user request to be whitelisted and that is TOTAL BS.

As long as i can get rid of that whitelist i'm fine :D :argh:

/rant off

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I used CIS version 3.5...something, before I switched back to ESET :D
    That would probably apply to many of us, I mean Who have installed 11K programs unless you're like 500 years old :)
    I'm sure the majority is OK software but far from ALL as you say.
    I actually requested one to be added before I switched back to ESS ;)

15. blasev

blasev Registered Member

16. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

'Avira Personal' scores higher than 'Avira Pro' (not Premium). 'Pro' is their business version afaik.
    Still a strange score though...

17. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Thx for straight things up, that's strange indeed....

18. doctorlink

doctorlink Registered Member

AV & Firewall: Norton 360
    Backup: MediaFire

Simple but the best I suppose:D

19. ekerazha

ekerazha Registered Member

Super HIPS + Mega Firewall + Hyper Antivirus + Ultra Anti-Malware + Giant Sandbox Pro + Extra Anti-Spyware Premium

:D Ahaha... I'm joking... well...

Comodo Internet Security + nothing else + nothing else + nothing else

I used Avira AntiVir Personal before (+ Comodo Firewall), however I'm trying the Comodo suite now... some false positives from the Comodo antivirus... however it looks good, nice integration, no more doubled alerts when the Comodo cloud and Avira detect the same thing. Maybe Avira is still better for pure signatures-based detection, however I think that the difference is small and doesn't really justify the need for 2 separated products. No more 2 products running instead of 1, more efficiency. It's unbelievable how many people turn their Core i7 into a Pentium III installing tons of useless anti-everything.

20. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

You have common sense?

If you only use the MSE or Panda Cloud (If you want a BB to monitor behavior or HIPS, optional). Hitman Pro is great demand!

Use Microsoft SyncToy to backup + system image.

You do not need anything else!

21. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

-- You gave hints to be considered that is why most of the replies concentrated with regards to what you wanted to be considered. The 'subject' mentioned/chosen contradicted to the hints to be considered. Like some friends here, I did not read your topic for about 3 days because I thought it was only "free suite". For firewalls a lot of members are very very good you can ask around for a 3rd party app to add punch at the same time be sane while using it. For OA there is stapp, jmonge, sWex..etc / Privatefirewall there is bellgamin / Outpost there is Manny Carvalho Escalader/ Comodo there is guest to name a few(there are more actually).

-- Ask Coldmoon about Returnil System Safe and how it works. Some of his posts there are really worth reading and I actually have adopted some. Whatever trouble you have it will return back to it's pristine condition. The free of course has the limitation of only 1 location for saving your files etc. But for that I have a 40gb partition(partition the drive to have one for Returnil).

Use the built-in System Restore for rollback apps (if you don't wanna buy, if you want there is RollbackRX) and check out the free imaging apps around(Keriver, DiscWizard, ATI-WD, Paragon apps, EASEUS apps, Macrium..etc).

Consider LUA/SRP /LUA with a default deny policy settings, and sandbox apps like Sandboxie/BufferZonePro/GesWall. Sully has a good settings for them you can ask him.

For the OP yes (re: Originally Posted by solphusion
    ...I use my brain, I never had a virus.) But it's his girlfriend common sense that's in question. Well the OP wil be the one who will repair it though...bring it on!:)

--This is good tried this same combi with the exception of SyncToy(used Bart Backup and Acronis True Image - Western Digital edition).

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  22. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Panda Cloud FREE includes a behavioral blocker, btw. :)

23. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Sorry I am late to this thread.

Your focus seems 2 fold:

1) free
    2) ASW and AV

Your set up (unless it changed) seems to be missing a 2 way FW.

What you could do is install the Outpost Security Suite (Free)
    and keep MSE. What should do is NOT install it's own AV having detected the presence of MSE

Here is the user forum link to learn about it:

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/foru...neral-Discussions-Support-and-Troubleshooting

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Windows 7 includes a good two-way firewall. The OP doesn't seem to like HIPS (nor does his girlfriend understand it), which Outpost includes.

25. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes good point.

I forgot the girl friend. :eek:

Anyway if it's is an understanding matter for her it will be way worse with W7 2 way FW as it requires in depth rules know how to set up IMHO.

Take a look at the learning thread on that one and you can see for yourself.

Her first need is to stop getting these trojans etc. They come from bad sites in 99% of the cases.

So a solid AV with real time filtering is NB.

Also a product with web control would be good.

if it were me any it isn't I'd load up her HOST file with the main bad sites and use FF with script control.

The OP imposes specs that won't solve all the issues reported.

See ya...:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.