What internet payment methods do you use, and why?

Discussion in 'polls' started by MikeNash, May 19, 2006.

?

What type of payment system do you use for internet purchases

1. I use my credit card, my security (or bank) protects me

57 vote(s)
    62.6%
  2. Paypal, because I don't want to use my card on the net

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Bank transfer/bank cheque or internet banking

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Other (discuss)

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I use a Visa card which I only use on the 'net. I have other cards for offline transactions. I also have confidence in my own security and common sense, so I don't feel worried about doing online transactions.

Long before the internet was commonplace, I was victim of a fraud involving my credit card, the details of which were obtained somehow from a shop transaction which has never been identified. The perpetrator of the fraud was arrested and taken to court for a number of similar frauds. So card/payment fraud is nothing new, but simply a lot more possible now we have the internet.

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    Can someone help me out with this one?

I don't trust Paypal never have never will. It seems like a third party system that gathers personal information with weak security. I always keep hearing about things going wrong. Yet so many seem to trust it what am I missing? :doubt:

I just want to understand. You will be waisting your time attempting to change my mind. :p

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I do not feel comfortable with using my creditcard online, and I also do not trust Paypal after reading a lot of bad stories about it. I have only used my creditcard once to buy a book at Amazon.com. But IMO the whole creditcard system is stupid anyway (online and offline).

I think the future is a new service introduced by a couple of Dutch banks, it´s called iDeal and basically it will redirect you to your online bank when purchasing stuff with "Two-Factor Authentication" protection I feel a lot more secure with such a system. :)

http://www.ideal-betalen.nl/

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Different Credit Card companies have various awards programs. All kinds of award programs. Find one that suits you and use that card...

Oh, by the way don't forget to pay the balance off in full at the end of each month if at all possible...:thumb:

Consult your financial advisor for details :D

Also don't forget there are specific laws protecting the consumer with credit cards... Paypal....I don't know....:doubt: :doubt:

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Maybe, more safer is just use the International/Local Bank Draft Check and sent it thru mail...:D ;) or maybe using money transfer like Western Union Money Transfer... as long as you trust the website and you know that they really exist and do honest business I think it's safe. :cool: :D

Are the CallingID anti-phishing effective for this? o_O Just askin...:rolleyes:

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Snail mail, there are so many ifs. I live in the US I just spent one and a half months waiting for a mailing label so I can return a speaker system that was repaired badly. Now the Mailing label got lost three times and was supposed to take 8 to 10 days, it is only coming from 900 miles away. It would have got here by plane.

7. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

I voted "Other" because I use Visa/Debit Card which I beleive has a slight difference. :)

Why? Because it is all ISP will except.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  8. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, manOFpeace

The difference is I am afraid rather more then slight, there is no protection of your Debit purchase, i.e. your money.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

9. Carver

Carver Registered Member

There is on mine, it's printed in the info paket they send once a year, the reason for me to get a credit card is to build a credit history. I only use the credit card for big purchases and the internet.

10. HJam72

HJam72 Registered Member

I run a DSL live CD, go straight to the site I'm going to buy from, use my credit card to make the purchase, and shut the PC down.

11. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Today I got word that my credit card information was compromised by hacking the financial database of one of the resellers I make payments to.
    No financial harm was done in my case. The credit card company called me, checked my balance and latest transactions and closed the account.
    I will receive a new credit card with different number.

So, that makes me interested in a virtual credit card, like sukarof explains.

12. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

None?

Credit card when I really have to, ie paying for online study material that is required for classes, but otherwise I'm really too paranoid/unknowledgable/fraud phearing to send credit card information via Internet.

13. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Of course your bank has to offer such solution. If your bank is interrested in protecting their customers they ought to offer it imo. I am no big fan of banks otherwise but for once my bank made a wise decision to offer it without any additional cost. Here in sweden people has been reluctant to use their VISAs on the net, so they (the Bank) more or less had to do something to better security and raise peoples trust in them :) Not all the banks here offer it yet btw (dont know if they will do it in the future )

14. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Credit Card
    I know a lot of people that are anxious about using plastic online, but they'll pull out their credit card for a $4 Latte at Starbucks without blinking.
    Think about it for a moment....
    When they swipe your card at Sears (or wherever), where do you think that information goes? Over the phone line and through numerous computers.
    (Yes, of course, any online purchases should be done prudently, with common sense using reasonable caution.)

15. progress

progress Guest

Bank transfer/bank cheque or internet banking - I don't like credit cards :thumbd:

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

PayPal - VISA debet card (account) for net payment only. No cash there, I transfer there money a few secs before payment (SMS verified). KeePass 2 to login.

17. c2d

c2d Registered Member

I use my credit card, but just to buy or renew my software licences.
    No problems so far.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  18. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Unfortunately to my knowledge my bank and credit card don't offer the option to have a one time card number assigned to my regular card for online purchases. So I usually just go to the closest bank and buy a Visa gift card for the amount of the purchase I intend to make on the internet. I can then charge the item just as I would with my regular credit card and only the amount on the card is available for the company I am purchasing from to debit. It is basically a one time use credit card that I can shred and toss afterward.

Now I have used my own credit card occasionally when I needed something shipped fast, trusted the company I was buying from, and didn't have time to go to the bank, but I avoid doing so if at all possible.

19. sded

sded Registered Member

I use my credit card, but prefer PayPal if available. I actually had an Amex card compromised recently, and Amex caught it almost instantly, helped dispute the charges that happened earlier, gave me a new card, transferred legitimate regular charges to the new account. I charged a shipment via Federal Express to my credit card, since they don't take PayPal. Instead of charging for the package, someone at their end charged for a bunch of stuff in the UK before the card could be cancelled. No comment from them, of course, although I notified them of the problem. FedEx actually mailed a reduced bill, since I was never charged, but I haven't paid it yet. :thumbd:

20. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i use pay pal for 5 years never have a single problem, but some times i have to use my master card cause some sites don't accept pay pal

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.