what if they would have added HIPS to new version?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by sach1000rt, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sach1000rt

sach1000rt Registered Member

everyone know nod for its zero day protection. but what if they would have added HIPS to new version in place of firewall? I know, to stay in the hunt they have to make a security suite(as every av companies doing).But if they had included HIPS, Then i can say it would have been the top notch(but still it may be).
    anyone having opinion about this?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

There is no comparision between HIPS and firewalls . HIPS cannot guard a machine from intruders whereas firewalls do it . They are different things - Eset can't make a suit with with AV , anti-spam and with HIPS (without firewall)

3. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

again, it need time and here people can't wait, they need solution asap :D

4. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Without pointing out some people's slight misunderstanding of HIPS, or their amazing insider knowledge of what ESET can or cannot do, I'd say that it's a tool which isn't quite ready for the mass populace just yet, due to the technical knowledge required to operate of effectively.

ESET is above all a company out to make profits, and they need to sell products that people want to buy. I guess a suite with antivirus, antispam and firewall just sounds appealing to the general public, whereas a HIPS program would first be met by blank stares and questions of "what is it?" followed by irritation when people find out they don't know how to use it.

5. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

What exactly is the misunderstanding? Come on, help us all learn.

I notice most antivirus and antispyware already have a basic RD, and some have very very limited AD.

6. RoseDreamJ

RoseDreamJ Registered Member

a few comments based on some of the above...

- I too used to scoff at the idea of integrated suites...not the idea really...more the results. No one seemed to be able to turn out a product that excelled on several fronts. Eset is one of the few companies I trust to have the capability of doing just that. This early beta appears to support my feelings in terms of it's goals...i.e. not crippling their flagship product (or the new ones) in favor of 'ease of use' (btw, Solcroft, I am not implying that your mention of 'ease of use' was meant this way).

- Speaking of 'ease of use', NOD32 is finally getting recognition for what it does well--performance, efficiency, and protection. My hope is that people will begin to realize that the best software requires a bit of investment in terms of learning. No matter how good the product, it cannot think for you. I won't even get started on some of the products that run every "just-in-case" function with apparent disregard for overall stability, all in the name of 'ease of use'.

- I am guessing that the IDS features will be expanded in time and that NOD32 will retain its place at the top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.