What Hips and hardening would you suggest for a brand new computer?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rilla927, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Greetings gang!

Its been a while! I'm purchasing a new computer and I want suggestions for a light efficient setup to cover all the bases with the best that I can purchase and lock-down this computer.

I've been out of the groove so to speak so I have no idea whats going on in the software world so I will need suggestions with a setup that would work with a good AV and firewall.

This is going to be a very fast laptop I custom order, so it will have lots of ram and plenty of CPU power.

Thanks!

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Osarmor by nvt

3. ichito

ichito Registered Member

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

We use what's already in there (Windows Defender and Windows Firewall) along with Malwarebytes on all our systems here and never had any problems with malware, or bogging systems down.

Just keep Windows and your security updated and avoid risky behavior like participating in illegal filesharing via torrents and P2P sites, and don't be "click-happy" on unsolicited downloads, attachments, popups and links - the same precautions necessary regardless your security setup.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

6. guest

guest Guest

7. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

This thread is basically the "what's your security setup" one :D

But, to add to the "discussion", anything that's not an AV and you're good, OP

8. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Comodo firewall at Cruelsister's settings. If that isn't to your taste, OSAmor or Exe Radar Pro.

9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Actually I think that it is the best solution.

10. ichito

ichito Registered Member

SpyShelter?...but is paid.

11. 93036

93036 Registered Member

Interested. Avast Free for Education is no longer available for the small school I support. Where can I find Cruelsister's settings?

12. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

On youtube... Cruelsister1, then look for Comodo firewall settings. Here's the link, if it's allowed to stay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vktNQCwB2UY

13. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Comodo firewall has issues on Windows 1809. I cannot recommend it. If the computer is running 1803 or earlier, then Comodo firewall is relevant (but still not the tightest security available).

14. lunarlander

lunarlander Registered Member

15. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I have applied many - not all - of the recommendations from this site. So far no serious issues. Just be careful with the Windows Defender Firewall settings.

EDIT

no response yet from the OP of this thread has me wondering, but none the less... Windows Hardening site is not a HIPS, although it is a nice way to bolster Window 10 using what's already available in the O/S. Personally, I'm intrigued by NoVirusThanks ERP, but no word yet on the apparent upcoming release of v4 keeps me hesitant to purchase it until I see the new version.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  16. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

ERP is a perpetual beta. Grab the latest free beta, if you want an anti-exe program. It is not HIPS, it is anti-exe, but that's good enough.

17. wat0114

Thanks @shmu26.

Still, it doesn't sit well with me when a product is in beta for so long, especially when the developer advertises "V4.0 will be available soon" on the web page.

18. guest

guest Guest

At least NVT betas are stable enough because simple and efficient, unlike some others continuously adding bloat features to satisfy their fans...

19. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Despite the dev's best intentions, hard work, and earnest announcements, it is par for the course for him to be a bit behind schedule when it comes to issuing stable builds.
    And as soon as he issues a stable build, he puts out a new beta with important improvements that security enthusiasts cannot say no to, and then we are back to perpetual beta. :)

If you don't like that kind of life, and I can't blame you, then better go with an app that does not issue a lot of updates and new builds. For instance, ReHIPS is very stable and conservative in that way. Same with AppGuard. Both are top-notch security apps.

20. wat0114

I've decided just to stick with Windows 10 Pro built-in SRP in a default-deny configuration. AppGuard is a product I would consider purchasing, although it is rather pricey.

21. Quassar

Quassar Registered Member

Hello Rilla927

Solid HIPS:
    Comodo: free
    SpyShelterFW: Paid HIPS with Firewall / SRP and anitkeylogger engine which you dont find in most other products on market.
    ReHIPS: Paid(Sandbox with hips feature)

Hardering tools:
    SysHardener. Hard Configurator, ConfigureDefender.

Other software which you might like becasue are usefull on myself way and can improve your security on biger level than before with casual AV or IS.
    Sandboxie: paid (Solid stand alone sandboxie best on market)
    VMware workstation - paid/free - full virtualization was always more strenght than sandbox system
    Exe Radar Pro or SOB : solid anti exe howeven sob is more manaul seting software but its also monitor dlls and other system services.
    Authy: free good for improve security login by add 2nd password during login to account on sites (genere random numbers which you have paste from apps which is based on your special hash which you obiant during acitvation 2fa system on site)
    KeePass (free): if you need secure place to storage some keys (2 chanel auto-type is a bit weak agains half keylogers but awesome gather with spyshelter keyencryption module)
    K9 Web Protection(free): good filers for dark/malware sites
    Execution Master: control initiate your starting process/apss

Browser plugins:
    Adguard(free/paid) or uBlock(free): both good adblockers
    uMatrix(free): blocking script but is more for advanced user and (can be annoying on 1st time or when you every day browse unknow/random site every day so that is cons)
    Cookie AutoDelte(free) - automatic delele cookies from closed sites or hold selected.

Other info:
    1)stay on User account not Admin
    2)Do backup Full system & your important data(on another external disk which is not pluged to pc every day)

Optimize system and some tweaks:
    http://www.blackviper.com/
    https://fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1809.frag
    http://hardenwindows10forsecurity.com/

Evade AppGuard as is only possible overpriced pigs which were buy by Japan uknow producnet who *** on casual home consumer and more intersted about buisness solution = Money Money and meaby but meaby we will secure you.(Giveaway with bind credit card.... still i laught to this day)
    For this money which cost Appguard you can get few more secure software which will more protect your system on copule layers.

You dont need even use half of them i just wanted inform you how much security staff you have to choice :)

22. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

No, seriously how do you really feel about AppGuard ?
    Just joking there don't take me seriously on that.
    True AppGuard has become expensive compared to other solutions, but in AppGuard's defense it's protection is excellent. Layered with select others one can lock down their system as tight as one can. Everyone has an opinion as well as a budget so whatever works for you, to each their own.

23. guest

guest Guest

You mad?
    Not every solutions is for everyone, and reading your comment, I can understand why they quit consumers market. :p

If you want a cheaper solution go for Voodooshield, with luck by giving good reviews and betatesting it, it's dev can grant you an awesome 100 years free license! !!!111!!

24. Quassar

Quassar Registered Member

Dude i no need free licnese i bought appguard with out discont and much other software from myself money
    i have 2 pc which cost totaly about 10$ with addons stuf aurond it.

I was suporter in Onine Armor / outpost pro firewall. Spyshelter have about 1/6 fix but i dont work for datpol but yea i like them but in some case even them dont care on critic coments when they deserve for it :p
    any many other apps got mine translation and not only..

This is diference beetwen us i no need punish peoples to be good in eye producent/company i recomend soft based on mine experience and other trusted mates/peopels aurond me to avoid toxic policy against casual user/consument.

I also was tester in Appguard long time ago and backed again, but when i saw that **** i get out of them faster than i come, its not any more same good stuf which was. And selling product to japans.. it's just <facepalm>

25. guest

guest Guest

AG was never focused on home users, the main product is AG Enterprise.
    and about Japanese, without them AG would never release Solo (v6) which can be purchased by home users, Japanese want to stay in the SMB market.
    Anyway AG like many decided to leave the home user market because the cost doesnt worth the benefits.

then home users have to decide to follow or not, their choice...

i posted a link above for a cheaper rebranded version available to home users.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.