What happens when subscription expires?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Howard Kaikow, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

With NAV, when a subscription expires, although one cannot get any more virus definition updates, one can still get program updates,at least while that version of NAV is still supported.

What is the subscription policy of other AV products?

I've gotten the impression that McAfee cuts you off at the knees, i.e., once the subscription expires you cannot continue to get program updates for that version of the software.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

With most AV's when the subscription is up the updates all stop.;)

3. Howard Kaikow

But "most" is not "all".

Which do not stop?

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Sorry I can't tell you. when the subscription expires I renew so I can still get the new defs.and stay protected

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No, there are 2 types of subscriptions. One that disables entire AV when license expires and the second one that just stops AV from ubdating but keeps the scan engine active (though with old signatures).
    Can't say for sure which applies to which product.

6. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hello,

Isn't there a third type, too:

One which automatically renews your subscription (via credit card) unless you specifically tell them not to (I'm thinking of NAV for individual subscribers)?

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah, that one is new in NAV2006. Dirty way to keep customers locked to NAV imo.

8. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Agreed.

I had a challenging time trying to deactivate the "convenient" renewal feature. :D

9. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

At least its safer than letting customers run an AV without an updated definition database.

10. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Agreed.

Wow, I'm in an agreeable mood for a Monday. :D

11. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

I was a nine year user of NAV, subscription was $3 per annum for years.

Now, if you shop, you can often find a fresh, new box of Norton for Far Less than their Subscription Price. :)

NSW 2003 would always give you another year's subscription if you reloaded your OS, (suffered a Sony VAIO with three Formats in one year).

Then got a new Dell D800 and it gave me another year, but after WinXP's SP2, I bought NSW 2005 and ran one year.

January, removed the NAV from NSW and now am much happier with AntiVir.

Have had to block Norton's "LiveUpdate" with ZoneAlarm, it keeps trying to load the latest Definitions to a Long Expired
    Non-Existant NAV, and since it can't, it just keeps trying and trying.

I could also remove "LiveUpdate" but plan to let it run every few months in the event that Norton has updates for the other Norton Programs and Utilities that I still enjoy using (like 'Speed Disk')

WinFax Pro is the best, not to mention the older versions of Partition Magic and CleanSweep and I could never survive without GoBack. :)

12. Howard Kaikow

Ayup, i've never renewed a subscription. It has always been less expensive to purchase another NAV at retail AFTER rebates.

THis thread was intended to find out what happens with program updates when a subscription expires. NAV allows program updates.

What other AV programs allow program updates AFTER a subscription expires?

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I also agree. ;)

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I do not agree. No AV software should be on auto pilot. At least once a week or so take a look and make sure things are updating properly. Now a days most AV companies do everything but ring your door bell to remind you it's time to renew. :D

16. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

And do you expect the elderly folks to know how to get a new AV or renew? A lot of them just like to leave and forget about this kind of things once they have the software installed.

17. Howard Kaikow

THeir claim makes no sense.
    Without signatures, there cannot be reliable detection of malware, just lots of false positives, and many missed malwares.

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Nevertheless, I saw ViGUARD in member's signatures at Wilders.

19. Howard Kaikow

The term "signatures" refers to virus definition signatures when discussing AV software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.