WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I DIE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PROROOTECT, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I use TrueCrypt also and thought about this along time ago, all that important info would be lost so I made sure my passwords would become available to my next of kin from my will which is locked in my solicitors safe.

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Ah, a question requiring deliberation. The responsible individual will not only have close to all their key information organized and well documented, they'll have also prepared, and have filed in legal accordance, the appropriate directives for a smooth, hassle free transition.

S

4. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

I only see two problems off hand.

1) If someone backs up a copy of the headers for a TrueCrypt volume, then those headers (And associated password) will always be able to unlock that volume. So for absolute security, you'd want to create a new volume that uses an entirely different Master Key.

2) The downside to having a password or phrase written down is that once its written down it is no longer protected by the Fifth Amendment (US). If you are arrested and the password only exists in your head, then you can't be forced to reveal it, however if it is written down they can try and find it using any legal method. An important fact now days in the current atmosphere.

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Good point. I'm really extreme about privacy, always looking for the opt-out box careful where my name gets registered that sort of thing. Its not the government you gotta worry as the ones collecting the information but all the market, phone and internet reporting that they have access to. What we buy and where we purchase it is like a life snap-shot to who we are, mobile phone records, what numbers we phone where did we phone from - as with the internet.

But there are steps we can take just as I did with my very private info. The password isn't written down but always a step in between to getting the password that only means something to my family.

6. PROROOTECT

7. axial

axial Registered Member

A variation on this theme: what happens to any websites you might have registered in your name. How is the access to / ownership of be transitioned, and to whom? What "proof" of legitimate transfer would each provider require?

8. KookyMan

I would say anything registered in your name can be transferred to a third party with a death certificate and some other written documentation.

For accounts signed up under less than factual details (IE I've got mail accounts under some of my nicknames), I'd say just let them die with me. Clear the information (ie purge the data) and wrap em up.

9. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

This topic brings up something else interesting.
    I know there are 'back doors' to get into XP.
    How do I lock those doors?
    All of my passwords pertain to my wife, so she'll easil be able to access m stuff. But the passwords are about things that she and I only know about.
    I'd like to keep this pc secure.
    Thanks.
    Hugger

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I hope i can find someone before that ticket is up who is extremely enthusiastic as i been all these years to carry on the torch of malware research and testings, but no matter, as long as there are computers, there will always be plenty of interest for the next generation to carry on with those duties even in our absence.

11. PROROOTECT

# Hugger : Seconfig XP

Thanks, PROROOTECT ( I repeat with pleasure )...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  12. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Easiest back door is:
    -Start with Safe Mode
    -Admin account has no password by default

There are other more complicated ways, which involve the use of boot cd's, but I haven't tried them.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't think you can. I was faced with a PC with Windows XP, that had been set up and the admin and all user accounts were password protected. All the people involved were no longer with the organization, so the PC was useless. I found a program from a legit site, that allowed me to boot the machine, and reset the admin password. From there the rest was easy.

I wouldn't tie up the machine that much, but just restrict access to it.

Pete

14. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Thanks everybody.
    However, your answers are not giving me a warm fuzz feeling.
    There has to be a reasonably simple way of doing it.
    If somebody steals my computer and knows what you just told me, then all the password protection in the world is just a waste of time and money.
    I'm going to keep looking.
    If I find anything I'll post it.
    Hugger

15. HURST

HURST Registered Member

One (or 2) word(s):
    TrueCript

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Even if anyone got lucky enough to commadeere any of my units, they better know what they're doing because i keep plenty of Xtreme malware samples on all of them, and some all it takes is a single click to hose the whole works :D

17. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Here's my solution: use a password to encrypted information composed of multiple elements of information that those close to you should know and those not close to you should not know. Then, write a description of the password (but not the password itself) in a plain text file. For example, the description of the password might be "My wife's maiden name, followed by my birthday in mmddyy format, followed by my favorite music group, followed by my nickname. All letters are lower case, and no spaces separate these elements." Test it with your loved ones to make sure they get the right password from the description.

18. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

When dead, there are no more posts asking for comments about other's posts

19. KookyMan

Sadly, I think thats a little too close Mr. Brian.

I could probably figure that out with some time and observation.

Your further ahead to talk to your "Confidant" and just tell her. Or make sure its something that you know only they would know, such as "the name of the bar we went to on our first vacataion." or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.