What Good...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Rico, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

yep. :)

2. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Well of course you should get a stealth inbound result with a router ! A router won't block any of your outbounds though. :D

I was just showing what was asked/mentioned about being able to achieve stealth, with only a good bidirectional FW.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i think windows firewall alone will stealth as well...

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

lol, firewall threads do supply the most interesting threads.

Firewalls and HIPS are in bed together !! lol.

They both like to give lots of information via popups, and they both generally require a correct answer to the popup to continue doing thier job the correct way.

Many users, myself included, just don't want that kind of babysitting job anymore. Some users just think they need it or will be 'safer'. Some just like to used stolen software and want to make sure it does not 'phone home'. Some want to totally control everything. Some understand the network level stuff and employ a firewall because they can, or need to. Some use firewall/hips as a learning tool. Some people, scratch that, IMO MOST people don't know how to properly answer a firewall/hips prompt correctly.

I don't think anyone who actually knows how to configure a firewall denies it can be useful, the same as they cannot deny that not everyone needs it. Firewalls don't make or break security, just as HIPS don't either. They are just another tool to get a job done or to give that warm and fuzzy feeling from being more secure, or in control, or whatever the reason.

I would love to have a nice firewall that is totally portable, so that I can engage it when I want to, but unless I do it offers no footprint on the system whatsoever. But most are not quite like that.

They have thier purpose, but not everyone has the same purpose for them.

Besides, if you love firewalls and really think that everyone should use one because it does X for them, especially regarding security, you are looking at it wrong. If there is one thing to do or have, it would not be a firewall, or hips, or AV, it would be some form of training in how to use a computer and what it is made of. Without the training/learning to properly answer a question like a firewall will give, what good is the firewall for everyone then?

Bah, maybe the energy put into firewalls and other security related stuff should go towards creating pizza that tastes great but has no calories :D I'd buy some of that !!

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.