'What give Why is this so ....

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rifalconmcri, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rifalconmcri

rifalconmcri Registered Member

Damn 6 DAYS and I still can't figure this out ...
    60 dollars and the box say I can image my hard drive... the instructions say I can image/back up my hard drive ... BUT NO WHERE CAN I FIND THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOWo_O??:?:IT WONT RUN FROM THE OS AND BOOTING FORM THE CD IS NO HELP EITHER ...
    CAN ANYBODY HELP .
    One thing I know for sure is that if the program is loaded on the computer ... the wizard will not image my hard drive to disks or another hard drive ... the directions keep say this can be done but I cannot find any info on HOW ... lots of qobbly stuff aboout how it supposed to work ... but there seems to be no logic to having to set all these perameters on my hard drive first ... and I want it on a re-movable disk or dvd's
    I DO NOT WANT TO BACK UP FILES ... PICTURE, OR MOVIES ... I WANT BACK UP IMAGE OF EVERTHING THE BOX SAYS IT WILL BACK UP ... like norton ghost used to do.
    It took over 5 hours just to get log'd (it keeps refusing my address and password) and tells me to reregister___in here and to find how to post without finding a button that said post a reply ... I don't want to reply I want some help ... now I know I'm never going to find this again ... so can't someone offer some help how to image ...
    rifalconmcri [at] cox.net
    dave
    forgive my frustration but thousands of sentences on what and why this works ... I want to how ...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  2. rifalconmcri

I wanted to send my post ... I'm not replying to anything.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Your post is here as a new thread just like it should be.

Have you read the manual for True Image? Here is a link to the manuals in .pdf format in English.
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/docs/

Strangely, some people find True Image easy to use and others find it confusing. A friend who uses Ghost all the time said he couldn't figure True Image out. It seems like you two need to talk. :)

If the manual doen't give you the jargon and and understanding, ask a few specific quenstions. There are lots of people here waiting to help.

4. rifalconmcri

so I'm still in the dark as to how one does this ...
    If I try and boot from the CD ... it tells me (acronis) "is loading please wait" ... and hour and 45 minutes later it's still loading ... so how is it supposed to work while it's loading o_O?

I spent 6 hours in the PDF file ... lots of what's, where's and why? but I CAN NOT FIND A HOW TO ...

Why must I re-configure my hard drive to make an image o_O THIS PART OF THE PROGRAM MAKSE NO SENSE TO ME. I've established a "secure zone on my removable hard drive ... and then try to back up (create and entire image) into the secure zone ... and I'm told I have to create a secure zone ... DOES THAT ME I NEED A SECOND SECURE ZONE IN THE ONE I'VE ALREADY CREATED ... Well, in a work ... nothing get copied, backed up or imaged ... I'm at a total loss on what I need to do and how.o_Oo_O

OK ...
    Can you please tell me where in the pdf manual are instruction for imaging the hard drive ... o_O? I can't find it ... and I even printed out the chapter will all the nice to know info on imaging ... but where's the HOW TO (do it ) (get an image of the HD out to the secure zone.

help!

5. rifalconmcri

I'm trying to image the hard drive ... in reading over, and over, and over ... am I supposed to assume that imaging the hard drive is the same as a full back up ... this info is not clear and back-up of files CANNOT BE AN IMAGE OF A HARD DRIVE ... So is seems these terms are interchangable ... WHY?

6. rifalconmcri

the wizard says create a backup location --ok
    create a file name for that location --ok
    (I'm now in the second hard drive 30 Gb the c: drive I"m trying to image is 70 gb my OS, programs and files takes up 20 gb of that space, I set the perameter 25 gb ... it says file created ...)
    I go to edit backup location ... and my back-up file/ in that location is invisable ... or does not exist ... where in my second hard drive ... that's now blank is the file I created to save my back up ...o_O

7. rifalconmcri

I AM NOT AMUSED ... WHERE ARE THESE SMILEY FACES COMINJG FROM ... IT'S DAMN INSULTING ...

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

If you put three ? in a row, that automatically gets changed into o_O. It's just the way it works. If you don't want smiley faces, just end a question with a single ? instead of using many.

9. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Hi rifalconmcri you sound like you are getting very frustrated, I am sorry to hear it.
    Lets me start by saying first, that I never use the secure zone ( although some people on this forum do) The secure zone, I think was for imaging on the same drive although it certainly can be used on an external. I usually start by giving all my drives a distinct name which will save any confusion when restoring.
    I usually make an new folder in my external drive and call it TI_Feb 24 or the like.
    On my very first image I insert my Rescue CD/DVD in the Drive to assure it boots, then start the "full Mode" and hope I can see my external drive. I select "backup and restore" in the next window I select "Backup" then "next" then "Mycomputer" , "disks and Partitions", Then I select the small window beside "disk 1" this does all the partitions and MBR. I have heard people have had to do a repair Vista with TI 11 if they did not select the whole disk to back-up I am sure Acronis are working on a fix for this.
    Then "next" ( leaving all boxes unticked), I never do incrementals etc. so I close the pop-up window. Then I click on "Computer" to see all the drives, hopefully yours will be seen. Then I select my external drive and point TI at the folder I made at the start (TI_feb24) and add a name ( I date again) to that to get the grey to dissapear and you can click next and then proceed.
    Some external drives are very slow using the "rescue disk" which has Linux drivers. If yours is too slow you can make a Vistape disk which will include the rescue disks.
    Once I have done the above I usuall do most of my back-ups in windows.
    Remember everybody has a different way of backing up and this is just the way that my "strange" brain works.
    Hope It works for you and at least gets you started.
    If you can't see your drive with the rescue CD try backing up in Windows so you at least have an image to fall back on.
    Make sure you have the latest build of TI and read the sticky "read before you post" at the start of this forum, there is some help there.

Good luck to you.
    keep us updated, there is a lot of very helpful people here.

10. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Hello rifalconmcri,

I also recognize the frustration you are having and feel badly about that. As dbknox mentioned there are many folks here that will try to help if they can.

Can you provide some additional information about your system such as:
    1. Your operating system? WinXP, Vista etc.
    2. What version of TrueImage Home have you installed?
    3. What can you tell us about your PC? Brand & Model#.
    4. C: drive size and used space.
    5. E: drive size and used space. (I believe E:\ is intended for your backups). Is it FAT32 or NTFS?

Suggestions:
    1. Start simple, do not create a secure zone until you thoroughly understand what it is and whether or not you want it. You can always create this later.
    2. If you have a secure zone delete it.
    3. Register your purchase at the Acronis web site and make certain that you have the latest build for your version.
    4. Open the E:\ drive and create a folder perhaps named TrueImage. Re-name drive E:\ to something like Backups or whatever you like.
    5. Start TrueImage and go to Backup and Restore (if v.11). Follow the wizard instructions. Scroll to the folder TrueImage on the E: drive for the destination.

Concerns:
    It appears that your CD may not be booting properly. Create a new Rescue Media CD from within TrueImage and try booting from that.

11. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Very nice and concise Bruce well worded. Hopefully rifalconmcri will take heart and feel a little better knowing there is help and keep trying.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rifalconmcri,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please clarify what Acronis True Image version you are currenly using? What is it's build number? This information can be found in Help -> About dialog. Please check that the build you are using is the latest one. If it is not please feel free to use following scenario to download it:

- Go to your Home Page at Acronis web site and register there.
    - Log into your account typing your e-mail and password in the fields in the right part of the screen.
    - Go to "Product Registration" section.
    - Type the serial number for Acronis product and click Register.
    - After product registration please go to Product Updates section and click the name of the product you registered before.
    - Click "Get update" link and save it on your hard disk drive.

After the latest build is installed please recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media to try to boot under it.

Could you also clarify if you have successfully created Acronis Secure Zone if you want to store backups in it? Detailed instruction how to create Acronis Secure Zone can be found in the Chapter 9.1 of the User's Guide (if you use one for Acronis True Image 10.0 Home) or in the Chapter 10.1 (if you run Acronis True Image 11 Home and use its User's Guide).

Thank you.
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.