What free AV do you recommend to your non tech savy friends/family?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CrusherW9, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anon

anon Registered Member

Off topic:
    During the Avira setup, you refused to install the crapware =
    "I have unchecked these installation options initially"
    Correct?

Why your request bypassed and the 3 files (apnic.dll / apnstub.exe / apntoolbarinstaller.exe) are now in your pc?
    Think about it........

Try to delete the above mentioned files. In next update they will come back.......

2. ght1

ght1 Guest

Don't be so harsh! :D

I thought about it and I will never ever install Avira and all the toolbar, askbar, registry booster crap again. :) Oh I forgot the nagging pop up. :D

3. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Comodo Internet Security Premium 6 Default Settings

Avast 8 Free with PUP Enabled

4. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Exactly my thinking.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You can schedule scans with MSE. MSE may not be the best detection, but it is without a doubt the most trouble free, install and forget type AV. Most of the others have an issue here or there on various machines that make them less than perfect for a not tech savvy user....

If you want a bit better detection, then my next vote would be for Avast.. Panda is alright too.

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Avast, and for very casual PC users, MSE.

7. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Yup as much as I can't stand it's UI and the flashy weird looking "city connecting to cloud." Avast is free, has been doing well for a long time and has pretty good shields. My parents and my sister they are all running Avast with everything on automatic and silent mode.

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Avast of Bitdefender free.

9. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Avast Avast and maybe Avast!

Bu sometimes I tend to recommend Avast! or Avast!

10. waters

waters Registered Member

Bitdefender free,best detection and zero set up

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Not a lot of Free AVs can show off with new effective technologies like the new Evo-gen, Dyna etc...that Avast added in V8 :thumb:

12. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Another vote for avast. Not a big fan of the new interface but I am more concerned with detection than looks. I am just glad that avast is a private company not beholden to shareholders or you would probably see a very crippled free version.

13. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Avast free or Bitdefender free. Avast is my first choice because it has the remote connection feature. Makes tech support a little easier.

14. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Avast, with PUP detection on, heuristics set to high in all resident shields, and sandbox turned off (for convenience reasons).

15. iTrendsNET

iTrendsNET Registered Member

For family or friends with no proven history of risky surfing and related severe infections I would install MSE and Kingsoft. If I know of or sense a risk I would install Comodo with proactive security settings. For those who proved to be continuous problems it was usually Comodo and Kingsoft.

16. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Outch! Without AutoSandbox ? Most of the AutoSandboxed stuffs are malwares (at least 60% I'd say).

17. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

I don't care any fancy terms any AV company used in their product description, I only care the independent test results form AV-Comparatives, especially detection rate and real world protection test. Avast scored poorly and consistently so it's a loser in my dictionary.

Sorry to break your fantasy over avast.

18. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Most folks i help (some clients and family) don't know how to answer the prompts, and will get annoyed. I've seen many times the sandbox reacting to legit files... so i prefer to disable it, but use the PUP detection and set heuristics to high.

19. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Avast in combo with OP Suite free. I now have the AV and a FW.

20. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I can't get myself to like the new interface of Avast or "feature creep", but if you're willing to at least bother to pay attention to its warnings and let it do its job, Avast is so very simple and effective.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No need to be sorry since I know what I am talking about.
    While on the other hand you don't, because then you should know that......

1. NO testing org including AV-C have tested Avast V8 with the new techs Evo-Gen, Dyna etc etc...

2. It's a TEST and as much as I trust AV-C I always put my personal knowledge about the software before any test results in the world.

3. Salt, go buy some salt you'll need it when looking at the test results, just a tip ;)

BTW you see my Sig? I use ESET. ESET have never scored 100% like Bitdefender, but I will not change to BD only because they got better results on one or several tests.
    ESET have never let me down, I know how it works, and I trust ESET to 100%. I bet there are many many Avast users that can say the same about Avast!

22. oliverjia

Your 1st point is valid. I did not pay attention to the version number Avast sent to AV-Comparatives for test. Anyway, until I see some hard evidence avast has improved I'll not touch it.
    As for your 2nd and 3rd point, I don't agree with. I am a science major and I only believe cold hard evidence, rather than one's own feeling or experience. ESET had its golden times but I moved on from it a while ago due to its descending performance in tests.

23. waters

waters Registered Member

Its funny how some people trust fancy names and marketing gimmicks instead of balanced evidence.

24. oliverjia

very good point.

25. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.