What Firewalls Have You Tried

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Vettetech, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meganeoman

Meganeoman Registered Member

I have testet many firewalls my favorite is Sunbelt Kerio the latest version 4.5.9.16 Light, fast and does the job very well.

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Just for kicks,

The top 5 at Matousec

ZoneAlarm (30.73%)

Comodo (15.38%)

Sunbelt (Kerio) (12.28%)

Outpost (9.83%)

Sygate (6.55%)

The top 5 software firewalls at DSLR:

Zone Alarm 184 (15.3%)
    Comodo 132 (10.9%)
    windows XP Firewall 117 (9.7%)
    Kerio 2.1.5 (unsupported) 66 (5.4%)
    Sygate (unsupported) 59 (4.9%)

Notice anything?

3. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Where did you get that info from. Last time I looked at Matousec which was just a min ago, Online Armor is # 1 followed by Outpost. Look yourself. ZA is not in the top 5.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

4. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Diver is not referring to Leaktest results, he is referring to the "what firewall do you currently use poll" at Matousec and dslr respectively.

This shows us that most people from matousec use a leak-proof firewall whereas those from another website use firewalls because of their ease of use and lightweight footprint.

Shows different attitudes. Very Interesting!

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Its top 5 by user poll, not by leak test performance. The stats are on the links page. After all this thread is about what you tried, not what works the best.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Well actually, 4 out of 5 are on both lists, and I think all of the most popular firewalls are comparatively easy to use, although both ZA and Comodo have very good leak test performance. Remember, this data is based on Comodo 2.x.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Yes, I do notice something. On both lists, the programs listed have free versions. You can build and sell and market the best program in your category, but unless you have a monopoly (like MS O.S.), free will always be in the picture. :D

8. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

→ none (1.34%) Surveyed on Matousec don't use a firewall :D :D :D

http://www.matousec.com/info/poll-archive.php?poll=1 (Link to poll)

Yeah free firewall software is best as you are not tied to using one software solution because you paid for it, in my case Outpost :(

9. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

ZA is a joke with its long boot up and shut down times. OA give me no problems. If Comodo wasnt such a pain I would use it.

10. Long View

Long View Registered Member

If the tray icons worked in OA I would try it as it is I have found the free version unusable.

11. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

That was fixed along time ago. Try version .50. I never had that problem and I am using version .31

12. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I am actually using Build .47 and it works great. I can sent it to you if you like. I never use the tray icon. i use the hotkeys but those are disabled in the free version.

13. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

90% +/- of people use windows
    10% +/- of people use Linux

85% +/- use IE
    15% +/- use firefox

Rough estimates.:D

I notice something there too!!

14. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Does the GUI go full screen in the full version? Bugged me having to scroll left and right in a little GUI.

15. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Actually, Linux desktop usage is less than 1%. Windows about 92% and Mac 7%. Firefox has over a 20% market share, but I cant remember the exact number.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What firewalls have I tried? Pretty much all of them in the past couple of years, and I don't like any of them. Hence the router.... :)

17. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

No thats still the same.

18. Long View

Thanks - OA have told me they are aware of the problem and it will be fixed soon. I don't really need a Firewall - just interested in playing - and as I use 7 Machines I have to think seriously before buying software - so it would only be the free version that I might use if light enough

19. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This shows too few actually. These polls run for ages and collect the data for ages, so they do not reflect the current state, just a retrospective.

20. Meganeoman

Meganeoman Registered Member

Why two icons in OA? I hate that!

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Like any here i've tried almost anything i could get my hands on. Not anymore, i'm comfortable with iptables and CFP.

22. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Geeezzzz. Before you bitch open up options and uncheck "firewall status". Get to know your apps before you complain.

23. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi Meganeoman,

There are one for main application and one optional for firewall activity (you can uncheck "show firewall activity in tray" from Options / firewall tab

Regards,

MaB

24. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Kerodo, I have a question for you. You said no firewall meet all your criteria, so you now use a router. But a router has no outbound control (except for specific IPs or ports, but that's not what I'm reffering to) or HIPS. Didn't you find any good inbound only firewall to use instead of your router ? :)

25. Long View

I can't speak for Kerodo but if you have a hardware firewall router what need would there be for any software inbound protection ? I have played with HIPs program and Firewalls on test machines but on my main machines I have found no need whatsoever for security programs beyond a hardware firewall, Firefox with a few well known add ons, a good mail provider, a freeze program like Returnil and encrypted account numbers, passwords credit card details etc all backed up with a number of images.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.