What Firewalls Have You Tried

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Vettetech, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok I am making this post so we can discus about which firewall you have tried and which one you currently use. ~removed un-necessary verbage....Bubba~ I have tried and used the following :

1. Comodo 2.4
    2. ZAAS
    3. Comodo 3.0
    4. Outpost
    5. Online Armor

My current is Online Armor and thats where I will stay. Most of us are in here are pretty knowledgeable about pc's. But most of this world is dumb. Honestly. There is a good philosophy in this world and it goes like this "Keep it simple and effective". People wont use something if its too much of a hassle. Comodo 3.0 is a good example of a hassle. Its all over here and in there own forums. Sure in time Comodo will be good but for know there are too many options and pop ups. Zone Alarm is very good and easy to use but uses too many resources. After installing Outpost my whole pc slowed down and all surfing slowed down. Dumped that right away. After the first 10 minutes of Online Armor I was pleased. Installs in minutes,easy set up, Doesnt ask you a million questions. Its " simple and effective". Please no arguing posts back. Just make your points valid.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

A warning. This is a thread on thin ice. If with everyone elses post you come back with Online Armor.......Thread closed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
  3. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Couldn't resist. I have tried Comodo Pro Firewall 2.4 and liked it, but not the logging. Tried PC Tools Firewall and liked it better than CPF, but wasn't sure it was as protective as CPF. Tried Ashampoo Free Firewall, and have to say that for a poorly rated leak test FW it was kind of nice. Online Armor Free was very nice and except for a bug here and there, it was protective and easy to use, but I think you need the Full Version to truly enjoy it. Finally there's Zone Alarm. I have used a few old versions which were ok, but I was always worried about using the newer ones. ZA Free 6.5 ran well for me, but I just had that fear of it upgrading and having instant problems. Now however, with Zone Alarm Anti-spyware on board and a good understanding of what the Triple Defense Firewall is all about, I feel protected enough with just ZAAS and Avast Home. I like how the User Interface is laid out, and the help file is second to none. I also like the way the Smart Adviser can help me with any of my Allow or Deny decisions, and how the logs created from the various protection it offers are easy to understand. I simply like everything about it except that darn hesitation at the Welcome Screen after reboot, but I don't reboot that often. However, I don't notice any browser slowdowns and despite the slightly high Memory Usage it sometimes has, my 512MB of RAM PC seems as fast as ever.

4. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I also liked ZAAS and got it free on patch Tuesday. But waiting 15 sec at my welcome screen then another 10 sec at my desktop was the reason I did not keep it. The traffic icon always flashing got to me also. No way to stop it. I agree that ZAAS is very easily laid out. No bugs so far with OA.

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Too many. Pretty much all of the firewalls that existed before a year ago, then I settled down and saw the light so to speak.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I too got ZAAS for free on Patch Tuesday, and almost agree that the extra seconds after reboot are a reason to uninstall it. However, for me personally, everything else that I like about it outweighs that. That said though, if I were to pay for a Firewall, I will admit it would be Online Armor.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Lets see...so far Ive tried: NIS, McAfee Firewall, Kaspersky Anti-Hacker, KIS, ESS, Comodo, Online Armor, LooknStop, Outpost, ZA, Sygate. Maybe I missed some.

And currently I use Comodo.

8. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok so we agree. Zone is great product but needs to be tweaked. They say the new versions are better but I tried it years ago and its still the same. I do think Comodo 3.0 will be on top someday. BTW I also tried Webroot Desktop Firewall. Got rid of that right away.

9. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

What version of Comodo ?

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I forgot I tried Webroot too, but I didn't think it was that bad. However, it just wasn't for me. Zone Alarm has definitely improved though. There isn't nearly as many problems posted in their forum and there are plenty of happy users.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Im using 3.0.13.268.

12. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I am using comodo v3. I have tried online armor, kaspersky, nis, za.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Quite a few:

1. Norton, 2002 - 2004
    2. Jetico free, Jetico 2
    3. Outpost, all versions from 2.1 – 2008, CE
    4. Kerio, versions 2 – 4
    5. Sygate, versions 5.5.?
    6. Comodo 2.4 – 3.0 (beta)
    7. Windows XP
    8. CHX-I Packet filter, version 2.0
    9. Tiny pfw, latest version before CA bought it
    10. ZA versions 2.0, 2.1, 4.5, 5.5
    11. Look ‘n Stop, 2.05

Settled on Jetico 2 and trying Outpost 2008, CE.

14. henryg

henryg Registered Member

I've tried many, however, I've always came back to Zone Alarm Pro. Not sure if anyone here remembers the good old "AtGuard"..... Well I switched to Zone Alarm Pro., after AtGuard was swallowed up by Norton.
    The Pro version can be tweaked to the max.... It also plays very nicely with ESET's NOD32. The last release of Zone Alarm is running very, very well.

BTW, I wouldn't use Zone Alarm's free version.... not enough protection. Nor, would I use their suite... did not like their choice of an A/V engine.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  15. kurchatovium

kurchatovium Registered Member

I have tried Trend Micro 2006, and KIS 6.0. It looks like I will go with KIS7.

16. OHM

OHM Guest

I have tried...
    LnS, Outpost, Kerio, COMODO, GhostWall.
    Now I use Vista Firewall.

17. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I've used most of the same products listed above (did anyone mention Micro Trend?).

I used all the Comodo variants (2.4 through V3 betas and V3 Final). Comodo 3 protection was excellent, but I could never cure compatability problems with some other memory-resident apps (BoClean and SuperAdBlocker). Even setting these apps as trusted never cured repeated rules-creation for these apps. I suppose this aggravation will be cured eventually, but I won't be there to witness the event.

The Webroot Firewall/HIPS wasn't too bad.

Installing Online Armor 2 Free was a revelation that a Firewall/HIPS combo could offer outstanding protection, compatability and ease-of-use.

I'm running Online Armor 2 Trial now with every intention of purchasing. In my opinion, there is no better Firewall/HIPS combo available today.

18. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Nice review..............

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

In Windoze: have tested, tried and such in home environment:
    Kerio 2.1.5, Kerio 4, Netveda, Jetico 1, Ashampoo, Sygate, ZA, Online Armor, Comodo, FortKnox, CHX, Filseclab, DSA (if you can call it that), maybe some more.

Using Sygate.

Mrk

20. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Comodo 2.4, Comodo 3.x, ZoneAlarm Pro/AS/Suite 5.x,6.x,7.x, Sygate 4.2,5.1, 5.5/Pro, 5.6, Tiny PF 6.x, Tiny PF 2005, Armor Firewall, OA Free, Outpost 1,2,3,4 Pro, Outpost 2008 Pro/Beta/Suite, Kerio 4.4, Jetico 1,2, Norton, PC Tools Firewall, McAfee, Black Ice, Norman Firewall, Safe´n´Sec 2.5, Ashampoo, GSS, AS3, CA, winroute 4.x, winroute 6.x, LnS.
    I know them all, except some few.

21. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

Comodo
    CHX v2 & 3
    DSA
    Filseclab
    GhostWall
    Jetico 1
    Kerio 2.1.5, 4.x
    NetVeda
    Norton
    PC Tools
    Sygate
    SoftPerfect
    Webroot
    Windows ICF
    Windows SP2
    ZA 2.x, 4.x.,5.x, 6.x

perhaps a few others I've forgotten

22. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Seriously why doesnt someone go to Matousec and copy so every firewall they leaktested you hav tried. :D :D :D Why would you list every firewall you have used? (Apart from giving the vendor free advertising)

23. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

:D :D :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

24. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Its a post. To see how people themselves rate firewalls. Has nothing to do with leak testing.

25. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

That's not what your thread title says. Even the first post has nothing to do with the title of the thread. It simply promoted OA against Comodo V3.
    I wonder what you intend to accomplish with this thread...o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.