What firewall does the feds use?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by php111, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

kdcdq,

I will agree with post #22 and just expand it a bit.

IMO this whole thread is a joke. Just a bunch of guesswork which, I have to admit, was initiated by me. But I was thinking "OK, there is a very small chance that someone knows the answer to the OP's question. And even if there is someone who knows it, he surely won't tell us for obvious paranoid reasons. So let us start a little guessing here so the thread doesn't remain empty, just for a bit of fun".

Then you come in, I don't know who you are and whether what you claim is true or not, and post something like you did. Anyone could've come in here and said that, we are all here anonymous to each other.

You see, here we have 3 options:

- post your guesswork
    - post the exact info
    - do not post at all

I am sorry, but your post looks to me like a simple bragging without any substantial proof.

2. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Seer,

I completely understand your points of view under the "three options" in your last post. It's true; you don't know me from Adam, and whether what I say/post here is, indeed, fact or fiction.

BUT, I do want to clarify one fact: I am NOT, in any way, shape, or form, "bragging without any substantial proof" about my security consulting for the government. I have endured many weeks and weekends away from my home and family in some God-awful places (like after Hurricane Katrina as an example).

So, given the "3 options" in you last post, I will choose #3: "do not post at all".......

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Fair enough, kdcdq. My point was just that we all must post here according to general forum customs. We do not know each other and as far as I'm concerned you could be a Grand Master of Shadow Ninjas - or whatever you wish to be. So to claim something like that you need to provide some proof.

In the end, I do not say that I don't believe you. It is just that you haven't told us anything that we all didn't already know - as was jokingly indicated in post #11.

But we have ventured far OT here (if there is a topic at all) so I will just say

Cheers and no hard feelings,

4. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

The same here, Seer. I, too, have no hard feelings.

The best to you and yours....

5. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

Hello,
    I'm pretty sure the feds, more specifically, the Pentagon, uses Sygate Personal Firewall. Why? because they just got hacked pretty recently.

6. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I can answer you question, but not for free. In exchange I need to know what s/w and h/w use CIA and Mossad :)

7. evilscribble

evilscribble Registered Member

They use Windows XP Home Edition and D-Link DI-524 routers with comodo free firewall.

I'm guessing they keep their data on offline servers and use endpoint security just in case a hacker breaches comodo.

8. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Aha, OK. Now my turn. Feds use Vista and nothing else. While hackers are looking for a way to break Comodo they are completely safe :)

9. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Makes sense *puppy*

10. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Sure. They compete who makes 10 Comodo exploits faster, and this takes all their time :)

11. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

One thing I can't understand, why is such a secret about what they are using for their computer security, if every security given enough time can be penetrated?
    Even if there is a possibility of an prototype security system, everything has vulnerabilities, everything can be hacked.
    Are they afraid that their system would be hacked, if they tell to public what security system they use against hackers?
    To me, it's useless, since hackers can find out these, sooner or later, and these hackers can tell that to other hackers if they wish too, and soon you have everyone knowing it, so what's the point?

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Would you rather a hacker knew what security apps you use so he has to do a lot less work trying to get in or would you rather they had to work their butts off trying to find out what you use. So why tell them when it is a lot easier to just keep it secret. I know I am not going to loose any sleep not knowing what the Government uses for security.

13. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I know what they use, It's Norton Internet Sercurity 2005 because they don't have the budget for the newer edition :D

seriously, the feds are not going to broadcast such information:rolleyes:

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think it's safe to say they use whatever they want to use, which probably includes a wide variety of solutions, and they aren't going to discuss it with anyone.... ;)

15. david banner

david banner Registered Member

So why a post then?+1

16. david banner

david banner Registered Member

just bragging without substantial proof

17. country2

country2 Registered Member

I have inside ino and they have just recently started implementing zone alarm pro since it was free the other day and the savings will be given to the supervisors at the end of the year calibration.

18. ragnarok2012

ragnarok2012 Registered Member

Keep in mind that the "FEDS" are not a heterogeneous group, but in fact many groups often in competition or contentious with each other. NASA openly admits that it has 3000 windows based workstations. Other agencies don't even admit that they exist.

If I was a betting man, I would say that they use both custom made super "un- impenetrable" firewalls all they way to some knuckleheads who go naked.

The book the "Cuckoo nest" revealed the stupidity of many Feds and their lack of computer security even after being told about it. It is a dated work now but I think that many of it's warnings go unheeded--even to this day. That is why they are often hacked.

'One hand does not know what the other is doing' seems to be a good motto for the feds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.