What Firewall do you use?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Comp01, Sep 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jer03

jer03 Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5.

2. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Change of heart and mind. Sygate PRO is my final answer. ;)

3. thinghy

thinghy Registered Member

Outpost Pro v2
    after using ZA Free, Norton2002, Kaspersky AH and Sygate PF.

chose outpost over sygate coz off their plugins, cool stuff ;)

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Lynksys NAT router, Sygate Pro5 on this PC, Oupost 2 on PC2 & Kerio on my laptop.
    WallWatcher logging everything through the router and Port Explorer monitoring each PC.

5. cl0ck

cl0ck Registered Member

i use sygate personal firewall
    tried to use zonealarm before, but it always locked up my internet connection

6. JayK

JayK Poster

For all the sygate users out there, is the loopback problem solved yet? Or you guys still don't use Proxomitron or something similar?

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

H JayK, The problem is still there, when you open another instance of you browser after Prox has been allowed Sygate does not ask again. Though in practice it does not cause me a problem as I can see any new browser connections using Port Explorer.

8. JayK

JayK Poster

Well, I don't know, I don't really like the idea of staring at my network connections every couple of seconds.

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

You are correct there JayK :( I stopped using proxo for a while because of the problem but refuse to pay for the latest update to Spyblocker which was siad to be free when I originally purchased it. I use NetCaptor now which does use the IE engine but adds tabbing so I only have one browser instance open as a rule.
    B9 stops any outward connection from emails etc. so I do not feel particularly vulnerable.

10. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

zapro and za free here. i especially like the enhanced privacy features of zone alarm pro...

11. Access Denied

All firewalls I have tried Sygate, Zone Alarm, Kerio 2 and 4, Outpost....let yahoo messenger's yserver module (file transfers) hold a port wide open. The only way to close it, is to end the process or close out Y! Messenger.

12. BillC

BillC Registered Member

Hey Eliot,

I'm a big fan of ZoneAlarm Pro. I understand ZAP will allow you to write expert rules letting your messenger service to get in and out, but nothing else on that port. The free version does not have that option.

BillC

13. JayK

JayK Poster

Probably because you are acting as a server.

14. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

:cool: ZAPro - a winner!! I am using it, not difficult to set up and it does the job extremely well. The following rating is taken from TECHTV Screensavers newsletter:

Testing criteria

Ease of use
    How easy is the firewall to understand? Do the warnings make sense? How easy is it to configure the firewall to block and allow connections?

Reliability/usability
    How accurate is the firewall? Does it respond to false positives? Does the firewall automatically block potential evildoers?

Advanced features
    Does it have advanced features such as auto lockdown? Does it protect known sensitive information?

Software firewall competitors

I'll go over my results on the show, or you can click each link to read my full review. But here's a little something for those of you who just want the basics.

Norton Personal Firewall 2003
    I'm a big fan of Norton products. I use Norton AntiVirus and Norton Ghost, but I have to say, this time I was really let down. Norton Personal Firewall 2003 has a long way to go. Hopefully the upcoming Norton Personal Firewall 2004 will address my concerns.

BlackICE PC Protection 3.5
    Download and try BlackICE PC Protection. It should be really solid by the next release, but the current version has plenty to like, including easy installation and great blocking.

ZoneAlarm Pro 4.0
    This is one of the frontrunners in our software firewall roundup. I recommend giving the free trial version a try. It's appropriate for beginner and advanced users. You'll love the easy setup, installation, and automatic real-time blocking of potential threats.

McAfee Personal Firewall Plus 5.0
    If you've used McAfee in the past, but don't anymore, install and try the free trial version. It's a great firewall from start to finish. You'll love its ease of use and its "Trace this event" tool.

The winners

The ZoneAlarm and McAfee firewalls both wowed me. Both have a free trial version, so you can test them before you buy them. Download and install one, uninstall, download and install the other, and decide which you like best. I'm happy to say I don't think you can go wrong with either.

15. Caspar107

Caspar107 Registered Member

I'm using Norton Personal Firewall 2003 Pro

16. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

OutPost Pro V2 :D I have tried Sygate and ZA.

17. Access Denied

You have to act as a server to send files via yahoo IM.

18. JayK

JayK Poster

Then what are you complaining about ?

19. jargonize

jargonize Registered Member

i use out post free, it blocks everything, all ports, don't know what loopback is. i get a log a mile long each night of app trying to connect. ;)

20. JayK

JayK Poster

It's just jargon we use to show we know stuff :)

That's bad. Either they are legimate it which case they lose their functionality by being blocked, or they are evil, in which case removing them ASAP is wise.

21. Access Denied

Complaining that when the service is no longer needed(IE, the file is done xferring) it continues to hold the port wide open. It should close it if there is no request for it to be open. ;)

22. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

Zone Alarm

23. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    The World-Famous Agnitum Outpost Firewall

24. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Sygate, of course (yeaaaa Detox!) :D

25. JayK

JayK Poster

Sygate, ever time someone mentions this, I'm going to ask the same question................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.