What executable in ESS should I use

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by whftherb, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whftherb

whftherb Registered Member

I use a download manager for all my downloading needs. Up until the other day, I carelessly assumed ESS (v4.0.474) would automatically scan these incoming files. I got zapped by a baddie and spent some time untangling that. Wasn't too bad actually.

Now, in my download manager, there's a setting that invokes your AV prog to automatically run a scan of any newly downloaded file upon completion. It's blank now and it wants a "filename.exe" to work on the file. Great! But...

In ESS, which one of its many .exe(s) should I invoke to get ESS to scan the incoming file? Yes, in ESS, I do note there is the Real-Time File System Prot module, and a checkbox is checked for scans on "File Creation". Unfortunately ESS missed this worm (Netsky - smss32) and frankly I don't know how many others it may have missed or will be missed in the future.

I'm figuring pro-active is better than re-active. Which .exe in the ESS suite should be used to scan on demand, so to speak?

Thanks, all. Really enjoy this forum and using this fine product.

H

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

ESS will automatically scan those incoming files.
    There is no need to manually add Eset to ur download manager.

u can send that sample to Eset for further analysis.

3. whftherb

whftherb Registered Member

OK, I guess I won't obsess over it, then. This is the first baddie I've had for a VERY long time, a tribute to how good ESET is. I've completely cleaned it off now, so I can't submit it. I did use Full Scan once I started seeing the trouble. I don't exclude anything in the scanner options - scan both drives, memory, the whole bit. But, for some reason unknown, ESET clearly missed it, never stopping it, never warning, never offering to submit the infected file(s) to ESET. I'm not even sure what download had this nasty in it. It might not have been a download, who knows.

I used MBAM and a half dozen or so siimple registry edits coupled with file removal, and guided by folks on another forum. I wasn't aware this forum was active. Could have helped submit the baddie. Next time...

Thanks for the reply.

H

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

If you wish to specify the path to the executable file for scanning from a command line, you can use "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ecls.exe" (or wherever you installed ESET Smart Security, in case you used a custom directory during installation),

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.