What else to use along with ESS for sure?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by rokko, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rokko

rokko Registered Member

Thanks.o_O

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Best is to use ESET Smart Security's firewall in Interactive mode so that you can monitor which programs want to *go out* , where exactly they want to connect to , ports , etc and you can have full control .

ESET Smart Security is all-in-one suit , more or less it includes everything - antivirus , antispyware , firewall and anti-spam protections.

In addition to ESET products , I also use Microsoft's Windows Defender . It works great with most AVs , including ESET NOD32 and ESET Smart Security . However , you don't necessary need to use anything else - just what you find needed. :thumb:

3. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

SUPERAntiSpyware(possibly the professional version, on real time), MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, BOClean.

4. rokko

rokko Registered Member

Thanks. I just installed SAS Pro 4.20.1046 :thumb:

5. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

use ThreatFire for more protection...

6. mr_yoda

mr_yoda Registered Member

Do none of these conflict with ESS or slow your system down? I thought you were only supposed to use 1 AV and anti-spyware product on real-time.

I do use MalwareBytes and Spybot S&D as on-demand scanners but nothing else on real-time protection.

7. emperordarius

Cupez80 is right, since ESS relies ONLY on singnatures and heuristics, you MUST use a behaviour blocker. Good ones are ThreatFire/CyberHawk(free, the last one is lighter on resources) or Mamutu($$)

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I must disagree (at least to some extent) . ESS includes 3 protections :
    - Antimalware (AV+AS)
    - Firewall
    - Anti-spam

All 3 combine powers , work together . Anti-spam can reduce not only ads but potentially dangerous emails that look like spam . Antimalware uses patters and different heuristic techniques (emulation , generic signatures , etc - more here , pages 1 to 5) . Firewall is great - in Interactive mode it allows users to create their own rules and have control over the situation about what is coming in and what goes out , where it goes or comes from , what ports shall be used , what program is going to perform the action , etc)

All 3 combined give very high protection rate

9. emperordarius

The MALWARE/SPYWARE detection relies only on those methods. I was not talking about other components. They're using signatures and heuristics only. That's an outdated approach nowadays IMO.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Relatively outdated techniques but all AV products (malware/spyware detection) use them to find threats . Other modules (behavious analysis , firewalls) also help protect the machine and detect new threats

11. emperordarius

I'm just saying that the approach Signature+Heuristic only is outdated. I don't say that the techniques themselves are outdated. It's easy to bypass signatures and heuristics. Just hex editing and packing. Even a script kiddie can do that. While hex editing and packing won't be able to bypass behaviour blocking/HIPS functions easily. A "modern" approach is Signature+Heuristic+Behaviour Blocking/HIPS or just Signature + Behaviour blokcin/HIPS is the Behaviour blokcin/HIPS module is very strong.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  12. Hibiscus

Hibiscus Registered Member

Thanks rokko for starting this thread. I have the following :-

AVGAS (paid for), Windows Defender (Free), Spyware Blaster (Free), Superantispyware (Free), Lavasoft Ad-Aware (Free), Spybot and CCleaner.

Is this overkill and would I be better off using MalwareBytes Anti-malware and/or Threatfire and getting rid of some of the others.

Thanks for reading this.

13. suziedog

suziedog Registered Member

I use Spybot & CC without any conflicts.

14. alphadog

alphadog Registered Member

What else to use with ESS?

Aspirin, or your prefered headache remedy. I'm partial to two fingers of whisky...

15. rokko

rokko Registered Member

Hi Hibiscus, I think so too, thread in need.

Is it expedient to add ThreatFire to ESS+SASPro?

16. rokko

rokko Registered Member

Hi alphadog, very nice comment:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

But which aspirin, paid or free ? :D :D :D

17. DanL

DanL Registered Member

I think rokko is wanting to hear from people who are actually using eset smart security,
    and what other programs are compatible with it.

I'm also curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.