What does "snapshot" do to disk where snapshot backups are stored?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bg56, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bg56

bg56 Registered Member

Apologies if this is covered in the guide or in the forum... read for a couple of hours last night and just couldn't come to a conclusion. Have just installed B&R 10 Pro it's prompting me for a snapshot location. It looks like B&R10 does something to "prep" the snapshot target location. Since I'm using a second hard drive that I use to store data, I want to understand exactly what B&R will do in this prep and how destructive it is. I'm assuming it is somehow making the snapshot space I indicate as usuable only to B&R - any input on what B&R does to the snapshot destination storage is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

There are two ways of doing it.

You can either save the snapshot (paragon image file ) to a drive , just like saving any file - it has no effect on the drive itself.

Or, you can create a special backup capsule - which creates a special separate partition to store images on . That is only accessible by Paragon.

Hope it helps.

3. bg56

bg56 Registered Member

Thanks - I'm assuming the "snapshot" reminder I keep seeing pop up is to create a capsule which means the drive will be repartitioned. I also assume it's "non destructive" in that any information already on the drive being partitioned is not affected - correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.