What does NTREGOPT Do?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have ERUNT, and a part of that, I think, is NTREGOPT. It says that it optimizes the registry. I have used it, but have no idea what it is really doing or whether it is useful.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I can't get very technical about it but, conceptually, it "defragments" or removes wasted space from the registry, so you'll notice a reduction in registry size after using it, assuming you have wasted space in there.

What that translates into in the way of performance gains or stability or any other benefit, I know very little.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. I am always somewhat reluctant to do anything with the registry. I wonder if the program is risky to use, especially for someone not very knowledgeable, like me?

Thanks again.
    Jerry

4. crofttk

Well, it's good to be cautious like that. I think there's risk in just about anything you do with the registry and even experts (I'm not one), from what I've read, should consider backing it up before they do anything.

I think what needs to be considered is, for the risk involved, do you gain a benefit that makes it worth taking the risk ?

Personally, I'm not convinced registry compaction is worth that much and so I tend not to do it. I'm running Windows XP and I seem to remember this program as being kind of Windows 98/NT centered -- maybe any benefit is less noticeable in Windows XP.

Other folks may speak up and I won't debate it if they think it's worth it, I just know it didn't seem to do much for me.

On the other hand, I will readily use it's sibling application, ERUNT, if I'm about to try something risky and don't want to fool with refreshing an FD-ISR snapshot or any other more involved disaster protection measures. A quick registry backup has its limitations too but it'll do in a "pinch" and on a short time horizon.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi crofttk,

I appreciate the comments. That is about the way I think, although I have very little expertise in the matter.
    I know folks who have used computers for years, and have not had any problems with them. None has used such programs.

I wonder if many do not just like to fool with this stuff, and try different things. But when it gets down to it, the system does not really run any better or last any longer. I admit it is catching.:D

Jerry

6. crofttk

:p Hehe, I'll admit guilt on that charge. I LOVE to fool with stuff like that.:D I just never seemed to get much out of that particular activity and moved on to fool with other stuff -- backed up 6 ways to Sunday.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.