What does everyone do for internet security?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by nerdstein, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerdstein

nerdstein Registered Member

Here is my set up:

Network:

DD-WRT firmware: WPA2 with a convoluted passcode; mac filter (permit only)list, iptables script to block all unused ports, and a network hosts list via DNSmasq to 'block' (i.e, reroute to local host) a bunch of tlds and ad servers.

I also use opendns primarily for its filter list. This saves me a bunch of time (and memory) of making impossibly long, resource draining black lists.

Windows Machines:

Services - All services that are unused, worthless, or potentially dangerous are either removed or disabled. I usually remove most of the software, services, etc via RT Se7en Lite or xplite before hand).

Firewall - I use the built in windows firewall with my own policy (not recommend for the average user). It is surprisingly powerful when you investigate the advanced settings. A powershell script is used to import ip cidr's en masse. All outgoing traffic that isn't necessary, is blocked. For example; there is no reason for VLC player to connect to a server when it is not being used for internet use; moreover, there is no reason to constantly update software (that is not being used on the web) if it is running perfectly fine.

Browser - Opera (12.15) with no extensions. Due to the ease of customization all javascript, cookies, and flash is disabled except for the sites that I frequent that require them. I use a custom css and urlfilter to surf the web cleanly and efficiently.

Firefox is used only for netflix; since netflix/silverlight is hostile to opera, even when the useragent is changed.

Software - Most of the software on my machine is sandboxed via thinapp. I use the sysinternals tools tcpview, autoruns, and process explorer for monitoring. cclean and defraggler are used for cleaning and defragging. Testing software is done in a VM. I am not a fan of installing things on my main OS and try to avoid it. For example; cclean and defraggler were just extracted from the installer, and run as stand alone apps (no messy folders/uninstallers/files/etc).

Security Software - NONE. All Microsoft security suites are completely removed or disabled from my machines. I use zero antivirus protection. I went through painstaking effort to secure my network and machines - installing a bunch of anti-virus/malware 'protection' would be counter-productive. Besides, I am not a fan of letting software run in the background, 'phoning home' and wasting resources.

It would be very difficult for a piece of malware to reach my main system, but certainly not impossible. If my system would be compromised, I would likely notice it because I monitor everything.

Proxies - NONE. I use no proxies or anonymous software like TOR.

Btw: a lot of my network settings (DNSmaq, port blocking) was set up specifically to protect the mobile devices on my network.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.