what do you use to encrypt your files,outside containers

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mantra, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

i use locknote to encrypt text to exe file
    If anyone knows about an application that would encrypt large text only, i mean "scramble" it, so it would be txt in the beginning and txt when it is encrypted. Preferably with 256AES, that would be great.

p.s. i could find some apps that do that, but none can encrypt more than 500kb of *.txt file :(

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

PGP/GPG in ASCII armor mode does that. I can encrypt any file and have it show up as scrambled text.

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Winrar here.

4. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I use GnuPG

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I can't remember if I put in my suggestions in this thread or not. I'm feeling too lazy to read the whole thread again.

Axcrypt for single-file encryption and TrueCrypt for volume/partition/system encryption.

6. 58115

58115 Registered Member

For encryption on my machine I use EFS. For local backup I have a NTFS formatted USB stick which keeps the files EFS encrypted. For backup in the cloud I use ZIP files with AES 256 encryption. I zip them with Microsofts DotNetZip Library which I access through a PowerShell script I made (for "batch" operation).

7. 58115

58115 Registered Member

Drawback of GnuPG is that it doesn't retain the file dates/times.

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Not a major drawback though. if I need to maintain the file date/time, I zip it first then run gpg on the resulting file.

Normally files I want to protect are kept in a container or encrypted partition. The only reason I would encrypt a single file would be to send it to someone.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

For “batch” script ZIP operations, note that WinZip provides a free Command Line Support Add-On that is quite powerful. The product has a built-in “job” capability, too.

11. 58115

58115 Registered Member

I know, but I like the DotNetZip Library better because it doesn't have to be installed. It's just a 400 KB .dll you place somewhere. Also it's free and real quality software (by Microsofts .NET team). For non-batch jobs I use the built in compressed folder feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.