What Do You Think of Softpedia's New Web Design?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Sep 19, 2014.

1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Thanks SweX, I thinks that's probably it. I don't see anything there specifically asking for feedback on the new design so I doubt they really want to hear it.

I'll probably still use Softpedia because they do have a lot of stuff with screenshots and reviews, but they won't be my go-to site as they used to be.

2. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

GrafZeppelin - thought of posting the same topic yesterday - instead , was so "amazed" that I spent the time trying to navigate the new layout.

I use(d) Softpedia as a posting of new versions of software I am keeping an eye on. A plain listing like major Geeks was perfect for that.

Now it is large icons with few apps per page and those in two columns - haven't figured out the first column yet that jumps to July and February very quickly.

Like everything these days, just getting harder.

signed,
    the old man.
    (this is who we are)

3. guest

guest Guest

Yeah, I also sometimes notify them about new software versions. I also read news in there and if I found something worthy enough I'll link them here. Now I'm thinking to retire. I guess I'll just start to pin the homepages of the software I use in my bookmarks to check for new version updates and downloads from now on.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  4. niki

niki Registered Member

New outlay ... Yuck! :thumbd: One more reason to get my downloads from MajorGeeks.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The same here, I find the choice of downloads to be way to limited for my liking. Also, I have no time for the guy who runs it.

6. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

That really bites as far as Im concerned.
    Fortunately there are still alternatives...
    Freebyte (heavily self promoting, but very interesting collection), Shell extension city, Freewarefiles (avoid sponsored installer), Freewarehome, LastFreewareversion, Downloadcollection, Freewarebb, windows8downloadsfree, Linuxsoft, to name a few.
    (from the Freewarebytes 'freeware sites' section)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Most if not all sites under the International Data Group or IDG banner have gotten a facelift of late.

Many are not the same sites we were so used as go-to places for security and other information.

That's not to say they cannot be navigated but change is not always a good thing.

InfoWorld explains their new overhaul.

8. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I don't think of it at all..

9. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Brilliant

10. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

I read lately about malware that can infect your comp when downloading open source software (especially). I wonder how having js open helps with exploits like that? I cant find the article, but it had to do with signatures I think.

11. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

I does not matter if is Open Source or not. What you may heard is kind of true: some time ago, SourceForge has been accused of bundling 3rd party crap into legitimate Open Source programs like FileZilla etc...From my point of view there's partially true because is not SourceForge that bundle a setup with annoying promotional stuff but the developer of the X program itself in order to make money.

As for SofTpedia, the mess is intentional because users have to spend more time on a page trying to find something: have you ever heard of bounce rate, exit rate etc...? More time you stay on a page, better it is for SoftPedia and ad revenue.

@GrafZeppelin
    MajorGeeks has everything you need, don't worry. If not there's always SnapFiles, FileHorse, DownloadCrew...SnapFiles has been around since the beginning of the times and the Internet, they really know what are they doing. FileHorse is a nice alternative to FileHippo, since FileHippo now offers sponsored installers, FileHorse and DownloadCrew are good for latest 'general software updates'. Personally I like SnapFiles for various programs and CodecPack.co for audio video software - it has a plain, old school look and layout, the site is completely html based and easy to navigate.

12. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I dislike the new design as well,
    but, considering how things are evolving,
    (more and more mobile/touch screen/cloud)
    it is probably inevitable.

maybe we are getting old here at Wilders,
    or maybe the desktop machine and way of use
    will survive as a niche even with new generations,
    I don't know.

13. mhf

mhf Registered Member

There's a little tag or tab half-way down (or up) the right-hand page margin marked "Feedback" which opens a slider.

14. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Annoying as heck

15. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

They`ve just fixed what was`nt broke...........puke!

Regards Eck:)

16. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Keatah: I don't think of it at all..

drhu22: Brilliant

- laugh ! :argh: talk about :argh:

you guys crack me up.

f

17. allizomeniz

I see the Feedback tab now, a vertical tab hugging the side of the window on the right. It's transparent until you hover the mouse over it. Thanks mhf.

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah there it is...now I see it too. Cheers.

I guess they don't want to hear any negative feedback so they had to hide it a little hmmmm :rolleyes:

19. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

The new design sickens me :gack:, to me this is the death of Softpedia, I will not be using it anymore. I really do not have a clue what the owner was thinking, sites should always have a clean and simple design, some examples:

http://www.snapfiles.com/new/list-whatsnew.html
    http://software.informer.com/
    http://alternativeto.net/?platform=windows
    http://www.oldapps.com/

LOL, I've checked it out, all sites look like crap, it truly amazes me how many talentless idiots are allowed to design websites. :thumbd:

20. allizomeniz

LOL SweX, you're probably right.

21. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Is Softpedia the download site that does NOT stuff a load of sneaky bloatware & toolbars in the fine print, just a clean download?

22. allizomeniz

Most of the time they're clean, but sometimes all they have is an external download link that goes back to the author's site and occasionally these are online installers with junk.

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Correct, and Major Geeks too. They are both fine afaik. I haven't seen any unwanted presents from them. But I won't use Softpedia from now on, with a bit of luck they may change design again when the traffic from desktop users starts to drop :p

24. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Softpedia still hosts some less than desirable software bordering on rouge.
    I would still download from the developers website or File Hippo / Major Geeks.
    As for Softpedia's new Web design, IMO it's fugly.

25. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I'd agree with @ LoneWolf that SoftPedia serves a slightly slanted narrative to others. I wasn't aware that MajorGreeks was a source of information of any kind. Given the CCleaner debacle :isay:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.