What Do You Think Is The Best Download Manager

Discussion in 'polls' started by AnthonyG, Feb 15, 2005.

?

What Do You Think Is The Best Download Manager

1. GetRight

18 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Flashget

38 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Download Accellerator

10 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Internet Download Manager

51 vote(s)
    22.8%
  5. Teleport Pro

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  6. Net Transport

5 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Mass Downloader

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  8. Firefox/Mozilla Download Manager

44 vote(s)
    19.6%
  9. Other (id really apreciate you saying what that is)

70 vote(s)
    31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I hesitates installing it, coz one says that it installs toolbar that couldn't be removed even if FlashGet was uninstalled. He furthers added...that there's a reason behind why now it becomes free. :p :oops: :doubt:

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I use Free Download Manager.
    Its, nice though I face sometimes minor bugs but even then it,s good on dial up.

3. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its not a very common feature among d/l managers, but getright lets you segment files and download from multiple servers. it can sometimes help u finish files faster.

5. eurekamind

eurekamind Registered Member

Flashget is the download manager that I like and prefer. Previously it was known as Jetcar upto the version 0.75. I am using the version 1.71. Its resume feature is very powerful so I get the file always. It integrates very well with the Firefox through Flashgot extension and works well too. Other features which I like a lot are:

> you can split the file in many parts (it is called jet in flashget) and all the parts get downloaded simultaneously. you can stop and resume any part as well. you can increase and decrease parts during downlod too.

> batch download feature available.

>comes with Site Explorer- a great feature by this you can explore the site from which you are downloading.

> "Shutdown when done" and "Hang-up when done" are very useful feature and gives you much freedom.

> it gets the File date and time from the server (you have to check the option for it in the tools menu).

> you can set the speed limit by choosing the option between: Unlimited, Manual and Automatic. In manual mode you will get a slide bar at the bottom by which you can limit the speed as per your need. I prefer to set it on Unlimited mode.

> It supports many languages.

> It has a scheduler by which you can set the Start Time and Stop Time of downloding along with the Day too.

> upto 8 files simultaneous download (you can split all the 8 files in many parts too as stated above)

>It has a very good GUI and you can see your downloding in a graph too. Skins are also there to choose.

> User manual and FAQs are available in the Internet that you can access through the program itself.

> lots of other features are also there (I have mentioned some important and useful features only)

> new version comes on regular intervals.

In my opinion one must give it a try before finalizing anything particular.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I am now using Download Express by MetaProducts, and I think this is better than those download managers that relies on FlashGot for Firefox. FlashGot I think adds up more memory consumptions to Firefox, and now using Download Express let me use it without FlashGot, and I felt this is more faster than my previous downloader. It let me connects and download for those sites that my previous download manager couldn't download.

7. eurekamind

eurekamind Registered Member

see what Metaproducts says about it's FREE version:

It usually integrates with IE. For Firefox and Netscape I think it also requires a plug-in from Metaproducts. Isn't it?

Advanced Features which is available in its registered version is freely available with other download managers(i.e. FlashGet)

btw, Sweater...What do you use...FREE or licensed version?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

9. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Also use Free Download Express with FF plug-in.

10. Arizonan

Arizonan Registered Member

Download Accelerator has worked without fail for me:thumb:

11. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Flashget (Freeware) for me.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask about free versions of GetRight and FlashGet. Are they good? Do they advertise/ any nag screens etc?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Any free download manager which can integrate with Opera?

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

getright isnt free but more like nagware. u can use it forever; itll just have occasional nag screens and itll display a small splash screen everytime it starts.

15. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Leechget is the best free download manager .

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have tried Free download manager and star downloader. Leechget gave lot of memory read errors on my two systems. GakeGet proved slow and buggy, though looks beautiful.
    I tried FlashGet and liked it most though it seems a bit slow than FDM and LeechGet on dial up( but might be too early to say as i used it just few times).
    The biggest thing is that it is easily integrating with Opera that is my default browser, so I am very happy with it so far, however I wil still see how it works in future.

17. Dina

Dina Registered Member

I have Internet download manager. I like how it integrates to other applications connecting/downloading. It once even offered to take over limewire pro's downloads. Ive tried all of those in the list but this is what suits my needs.

Cheers

18. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

more infos: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows4.html

Gerard

19. Dina

Dina Registered Member

Wow. thats a lot. Well thats the only reason why I used IDM so I get to download a file right when I click it on my browser.

So should I disable it? Ive been using it for so long, almost a year now.

Thanks for the info.

Dina

20. shek

shek Registered Member

you could try operaget.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Just few days back I found out that I can integrate any download manager in Opera from opera tools. preferences, advanced, downloads, selecting file type and then edit.
    And finally also I found out that LeechGet was giving me errors due to GesWall as it can,t run in GesWall. I have written to GesWall support and they promised to add some download managers in next version or so. Untill that I will use Star Downloader free that i integrated manually in my Opera. It runs well in GesWall. With the new version of GesWall, I hope I can use LeechGet. It is so nice taht I wonder how it is free. I am still using it out of GesWall protection and it seems faster.

22. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I don't use a Download Manager now, especially with using ADSL - I don't see the need for one. When I was on dial-up I used GetRight.

23. Security Freak

Security Freak Registered Member

i switched form Free Download Manager to Down Them All FF extension,awesome piece of extension and very fast downloading speeds,the best and very clean integrated,the best.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/201/

24. ReubenNYC

ReubenNYC Registered Member

A REVIEW OF A FEW OF THE "TOP" DOWNLOAD MANAGERS:

I figure I would love to stumble across this info...hope it helps others.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Every sixth months or so I find myself reinstalling everything on my computer for one reason or another. Each time I do this I try to pick the best applications to install that will keep my computer running flawlessly while using as little RAM as possible (of course, always far from flawless). I make sure I always install

+Adaware SE Personal
    +CCleaner
    +Google Toolbar & Google Desktop (Desktop, though, has been unreliable crap lately--there's nothing more annoying them clicking on a file it has found to learn it no longer is in that place and Desktop is no help...so back to the tried and proven Win file search...
    +Firefox & way too many plugins/addons/whatever--it seems like I need them all, but I don't...
    +Internet Explorer because Firefox is to flightly--the same goes for IE
    +Download Them All
    +Flashget
    +Picasa - even though I don't use it as often as Windows Picture & Fax Viewer
    +an anti-virus program -- now it's Norton Anti-Virus 2005SE packed conveniently in Google's new Updater - this version doesn't get in the way like most other programs do -- Google Updater saves a lot of time on these complete reinstalls...
    +Windows Media Player -- which I've been trying to dump for a more streamlined program like Media Player Classic or VLC Media Player, but just haven't been able to make the leap - I've put so much time into finetuning WMP it's hard to just dump it...
    +Spybot Search & Destroy which -always- disappears after running a few times...and it's never really found any spyware for meo_O
    +TuneUp Utilities 200X - great all-in-one cleanup program

And Photoshop & Office 2003 (I installed the beta of 2007 and thought it was crap-I like to know where features are when using these programs-hopefully MS fixed a lot of what I thought were issues. Same goes for Vista--no thanks for now...

Lastly, a Download Manager - which always seems to be a different application each time.

This time around I was using FlashGet to download a trial of Photoshop (329MB). Not too difficult a task. FlashGet slowly (~40 KB/sec) downloaded the whole file then somehow lost the whole thing at 99%. At this point completely over downloading and my current dl manager I set out to find the "best" download manager for my type of computing. I do a lot of things at once--too many, probably--but that's not going to change. So I started downloading and running several dl managers all working on the same file, Photoshop. It was definitely an eye-opener to see which programs could hang and which would hang. All the programs are listed below, best performers for my particular test listed first:

+++ Paraben's Download Manager (120KB/s) - AMAZING SPEED, comparatively. Never heard of it before today, but it's my new dl mgr. It was one of the last programs to start downloading and it was the 1st to finish.
    ++ Orbit (90KB/s) - this one swiftly and quietly downloaded with no problems. I've never heard of this or Paraben's before today--makes me wonder if there are even faster programs out there? For now I'll stick with these first two and uninstall the rest.
    + Internet Download Manager (70KB/s) - another great program. If I had to complain, I'd say this one goes overkill with "status" windows and other status indicators--like three at once, I think...all differento_O

+/- Download Them All - couldn't handle the large file--I stopped it several times after restarting with a new download. DTA is really better at downloading a bunch of small files at once. Firefox wouldn't be complete w/o DTA.
    +/- FlashGet -lost all 329MB at 99% then stopped at 66% after dl'ing at 40KB/sec. It never finished. It did, however, pop up to download all the other dl mgr's I installed after it... I guess this one's okay it not pushed too hardo_O

- Free Download Manager - this one kept downloading the wrong file...instead of the exe file, it would download a tiny index file and say, "completed." After a few futile attempts to get it on track, I UNINSTALLED. These things need to be easy...
    -- Internet Download Accelerator - Crap--it kept beeping and opening window after window, giving me message after message about it needing to do this and that. Never even started the download--even after opening over 100 windows. --UNINSTALLED--

ReubenNYC@gmail.com

25. vhick

vhick Registered Member

i tried many download manager and i presently open to try new download manager. i settled down to free download manager. i try the newest version of flashget (v1.81) and i really slow. i can easily recognize the speed because im on dialup. when dialup connection is concern, i really look at the scheduler funtion and/or event funtion. i like free download manager because of this. i yo encountered index.php file. maybe because free download manager not support it. you can use the built-in download manager of browser. i know this is the weakness of free download manager but i hope this will be correct soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.