What do you guys use to remove/block ads in IE?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

TPLs are probably the best free option. If you are a Kaspersky Internet Security user, enabling the AntiBanner module will block adds in ALL applications. It has blacklisting and whitelisting capability as well.

2. guest

guest Guest

The antibanner from KIS used to be a sad joke. That said, last time I checked Kaspersky's products was several years ago.

3. xxJackxx

It works quite well, and in the situation where it blocks something it shouldn't, add it to the whitelist.

IE7 Pro was actually my favorite adblocker, but unfortunately it has been completely abandoned. :(

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic comment removed.

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I use IE9 and at the moment no ads.
    To do this I use OP FW Pro 7.5.3's web control features that work for any browser I want to use. They are:
    1. Site black list malware etc
    2. Advertisement blocking sites
    3. Blocking by keywords
    As well in IE9 undertracking protection I use Easy Privacy and Privacy Choice.

They seem inactive in IE9 but that may be due to the OP's 3 features.:doubt:

6. xxJackxx

I keep forgetting about Outpost. I have a lifetime license for the Security Suite. Too bad the overall quality of it is not very good, unless that has changed in recent builds. I may have to give it a spin again and see how it is coming along.

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Unless already noted, I use and recommend TPL's under IE9 along with MVPS Hosts

8. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Ad Muncher for the last six and a half years.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm using Fanboy's lists only and when I browse there the only ad I see is an Auslogics one to the right hand side, that can't be blocked because it is a first party ad, it originates from the site. You cannot block it no matter what lists you add.

It may not be perfect, but I've found sticking to Fanboy's lists the best approach, first party ads are not that common and in most cases non-intrusive.

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

So do I, but I still get a fair few ads come through. What IE 9 needs is some form of easily employed content blocker similar to Maxthon 3 or Opera. Unless it has one & I just don't know about it.

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Is it just me, or does anyone else using Fanboy's TPLs still get to see ads at Softpedia's website? I checked the list, and it does have a rule to block the ads, but for some reason, IE9 is allowing them. Odd. I wonder if it's a bug in the TPL functionality?

12. Daveski17

It's probably not just you. I found that there were quite a few sites that I could still see ads.

13. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Maybe you have something in the browser that´s incompatible, i had that exact problem 1 year ago. The ads from softpedia weren't blocked because i had a toolbar related to orbit downloader installed, elapsed spotted the problem. As soon as i removed the toolbar, the ads from softpedia were gone.
    Check here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=301103

14. elapsed

The way IE's content blocker works is fine, it just needs the ability to block first party content.

Looked around a bit, not seeing anything unfortunately. There is a bug in IE9's TPL functionality though, I reported it last year and they fixed it in IE10 so if that's what's causing the issue for you I wouldn't know. It's a rare bug where subdomain block rules can conflict with page allow rules (of the same website).

15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

OK. So, I did run IE9 without addons, and Softpedia's ad was blocked. But, another website I regularly visit still displays ads. I checked to see if there's a rule in Fanboy's TPL to block it, and there's one. There's also no allowing rule for that specific domain, which makes me believe that what's happening is what elapsed mentioned.

I hope they provide a fix for IE9, though.

16. Daveski17

I'll take your word for it. Meanwhile, I have Firefox & ABP. ;)

17. elapsed

I doubt it. Are you sure it wasn't first party content?

ABP is far superior in terms of functionality, but unfortunately will never match the speed of TPLs, not that its overly noticeable.

18. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Re: What do you guys use to remove/block ads i.n IE?

Yeah, I use the FW only not the suite. The problem with suites is users have to put nearly all their security tools on the backs of 1 vendor.

Even with OP FW Pro it has suite like stuff in it HIPS, web control, ad blocking ip blocking. What it doesn't have is the AV.

19. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

I use Admuncher it removes adds from everything on my PC regardless of browser or even non-browser things that use http to fetch adds.

20. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Both of Fanboy's TPL lists for IE9 along with Ad Muncher (also use MS "Do Not Track" TPL)...

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Is this your opinion? How did you come by it?

22. elapsed

You can compare the use of Firefox without ABP against the use of Firefox with ABP and a few lists, on my system the load speed of a page was on average the same, where in fact it should be faster (like IE) due to loading less content.

TPLs have the benefit of being integrated with the system, so it's obviously going to be faster. But like I said earlier, most people using ABP wont care because they want to block ads, not speed up web page loads.

23. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

How's about a link, mate ;)

24. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Since I also referenced Ad Muncher....

-http://www.admuncher.com/-

25. guest

guest Guest

I like one of their slogans: "Don't let your ad blocker decide which browser you're allowed to use".

But I'm afraid of performance issues. Detailed information from benchmarks measuring the different performance impacts on system resources of Ad Muncher would be welcomed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.