What do you experts think of this freeware?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

2. Mister_Al

Mister_Al Registered Member

I'm no expert, but I've used it a few times and for me it did an adequate job of transfering Windows to a new hard drive and making it bootable.

Alan

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Interesting ,making disks bootable and option to boot to different disks,as far as i get it,it can also boot to an external USB drive,sounds ridiculious but perhaps its possible,will give it a whirl.

edit ; just read in Q/A on their forum that booting from an ext. disk is not possible,Microsoft don't allow that.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you can boot from an external drive if you image an internal drive and restore the image to a external drive. i have done this.
    microsoft wont allow installing windows directly to a external drive thou.
    lodore

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Unless I'm missing it, looks like the restore process doesn't support the creation of a bootable CD/DVD. IMO, they are wrong about the need for a floppy drive in this day and age. Floppies were never very reliable and still aren't...

6. Erronius

Erronius Registered Member

I tried this one and it worked as advertised. The problem was that I got error messages when trying to access a number of system features on the copied drive (System Restore and others).

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Was it an internal or an external USB/FireWire/CSCI drive you talking about ?

Lodore, its kind of faking Windows the method you described but if it works its a welcome possibility to my arsenal. MS is scared to death of software piracy so i understand that.

thanks.

8. Erronius

Erronius Registered Member

It was a laptop removable modular hdd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.