What do "YOU" do after fresh os install?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by RTistic, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boonie

boonie Registered Member

On a "fresh" install.

Download latest programs, drivers
    Unplug from internet
    Zero and format drives
    Install XP
    Activate XP
    Image w/IFD and store on external HD
    Transfer data from external HD to internal data drive
    Install drivers and SP3
    Install FD-ISR and create second profile and archives of both
    A few security tweaks
    Connect to internet
    MS update
    Install any MS software that needs patching (Office, IE7) and check for updates
    Install general software
    Install security software
    Update software if needed
    Any other configuring/tweaks
    Run CCleaner, defrag, defrag registry
    Enable DEP

Along the way I create FD-ISR archives in stages should anything foul happen as pandlouk mentioned in post #23. I keep the IFD image should anything go wrong with IFD (it happened once and reverting to the earliest IFD archive didn't help as the program itself became corrupt).

2. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Five years, I'm lucky to make it two weeks, couldn't live without an imaging program. I usually reformat every two years or so just because but is that any better than just restoring an image of a fresh install after a certain amount of time has passed since the image's creation? Thanks

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Restoring with an image is fine if you want to recreate exactly what you started with.

Back in my Win9x days when I used to change things a lot, part of the fun of reformating and starting over was that I could rebuild my system from scratch - I would always do things just a little bit differently than before - install this, not install that, put things on a different partition, etc.

--

4. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

If this will ever happen (I have serious doubts) I'll have to:

Install drivers.
    Install Kaspersky.
    Install the other 400 programs I use.:doubt:

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Well, lot's of imaging going on here. What if your mobo dies? Is your image good? Many moons ago I used ghost to make images. First system replacement and my xp image was a no go. What about the imaging mentioned here? Same thing?

As for me, I have invested much time into unattended installs. All my drivers are already installed, my account is made, my reg file tweaks are in place. Pretty much can get right to the desktop even with my background in place. I got tired of automated installations so I built my own little system that before first login, allows me to install in both unattended mode or attended mode, depending on if I have scripted the installs or not. This makes it easy to put on an application such as AV scripted, and then mabye I don't want to script RivaTuner or SpeeedFan or some other util like that.

Couple that with my bootable menu which lets me pick which computer I am installing to, each with thier own set of features, maybe different IP address for each, etc. Or I can boot into a floppy image to do maybe fdisk or similar. Or I even now have menu option to boot into BartPE image.

Really for me, I like to wipe a few times a year, or as needed. I have mulitple harddrives, and my data is rarely on the same drive/partition that the OS is on. Other than large installs like games or something, I don't sweat it. I grab a cup or two of coffee, and read something for about 30 minutes while I do a 'fresh' install and most of it is done for me.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.