What do I need to do Netbanking?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by truthseeker, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Hi everyone,

I want to begin using MS Vista for all my Netbanking and sensitive web site access.

I have been using Linux for that, but I am too lazy to keep rebooting back and forth between Vista and Linux.

So in MS Vista, what do I need to install to make sure I can use my Bank Website safely and access my credit card account etc on Internet?

I need to install the following I think.

1. Anti-Virus
    2. Firewall
    3. Spybot search & Destroy

Is there anything else I need?

Thank you

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

None of the software you listed is necessary or required for online banking. Use a standard account (not an admin), enable the Vista firewall and/or purchase a broadband router, then consider a good HIPS and maybe a quality on-demand anti-malware scanner such as SAS or MBAM.

3. truthseeker

What is SAS or MBAM?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  4. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Being "to lazy to reboot" in regards to online banking, is for lack of a better word stupid.

But if you must use Vista don't use your pc for anything else, like searching for cracks etc. create a new user with limited auth. use a host file, a router, firewall, hips and AV.

Besides rebooting you could also look into the Wubbi installer from Ubuntu.

5. truthseeker

Does anyone know what the lighest free firewall for Vista is?

6. truthseeker

Define HIPS

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

~off topic dribble removed....Bubba~

Please link to any financial institution that requires you be behind a firewall and have an AV/AS installed before you access your account. You sure are quick to label someone a troll when you don't even understand the definition of the term. :doubt:

Wrong forum. Look here

Defined

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008
  8. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

While I personally would add the AV, Elitekiller's response was perfectly sensible.
    You may also want to consider Sandboxie and run your banking sessions sandboxed from a clean/fresh sandbox and delete the contents after your banking session.

9. truthseeker

So you disagree with Elitekiller regarding the AV issue?

And what is Sandboxie?

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The trash has been taken out and suggest the name calling cease. The subject for discussion is Netbanking.

11. truthseeker

Sorry Bubba. It won't happen again.

12. truthseeker

Which AV do you personally use?

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

SuperAntiSpyware & MalwareBytesAntiMalware.

The lightest 'free' firewall for Vista is the one built-in with it. Keep it always enabled.

For online banking all you need is a good av, a hardware firewall, superantispyware and common sense. Then you're ready to go ;)

14. truthseeker

But isn't it crucial to have a 2 way firewall? The Vista is only 1 way, and I have looked at the "Advanced" side to it which enabled you to activate the 2 way, but it's not something I am familar with.

I then tried Vista Firewall Control by Sphynx which activated the Vista firewall for 2 way protection, but the free version does not support System/Core application protection.

Any other ideas please?

And can you please define "good av"?

15. truthseeker

Is superantispyware good? Or is that a spyware in itself?

16. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I vacillate between having Windows Defender on and having it off on my Vista machine. It never finds anything. But then, SuperAntiSpyware, CounterSpy V2, SpyBot S&D and others have never found anything on my PC, either. Clean living, I guess. What I do run for security is listed here.

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

You really don't need anything at all. If your computer is clean, just head to the website, login and do your thing.

The one thing I would suggest is to go to your bank site directly, not follow any links in emails and such.

Mrk

18. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Simple facts, to use online banking you need a good AV, FW and couple of good antispyware software. I try not to over do it when it comes to PC Security and I mean you can just go on and on and on before your PC is bloated with all this stuff.

Also you'll find that alot of Banks offer their own highly encrypted online banking sites where you'll see a Padlock come up on your screen which basically means that your entering a encypted site.

If you use common sense and provide adequate security on your PC than you should be right. I've been doing onling banking here in Austrlia for over 5 yrs and best thing the banks ever bought out I reckon. Certainly beats lining up que's to pay the bills thats for sure.

Superantispyware is an excellent prog and I use it and reccomend it, there is both a free and paid version. I think the paid version has a slightly bit more stuff in it but the free one works just as good, also the paid one as far as I know offers realtime protection, dont think the free one does.

19. truthseeker

Thank you John. I just installed FREE Zone Alarm. It looks good and secure.

I am also using ccleaner.

My Windows Defender is disabled.

20. truthseeker

Yes good advice. Thanks.

21. truthseeker

I just downloaded Superantispyware, thanks.

Life is so much easier on Linux. I never have to worry about rootkits, spyware, virus, trojans, keyloggers etc. But getting Vista secure is good so I don't always have to reboot into Linux whenever I want to access my Bank etc.

22. truthseeker

After I installed SuperAntiSpyware, it found an item it removed.

Adware.Search-Exe
    C:\WINDOWS\CONFIGSETROOT\SE.EXE

It was located in C:/windows/ConfigSetRoot

I then noticed heaps of funny and weird things in ConfigSetRoot folder.

I then removed everything in there, about 70 files.

And Vista seems to be running as normal.

Does anyone know exactly what ConfigSetRoot is and how so many files got in there?

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

be careful with removing files manually.
    i will see what files i have in my C:\WINDOWS\CONFIGSETROOT folder when i get home.

since you use online banking i would reccomend a paid antivirus program.
    its nice to have an expert opintion it can save you.
    one that can clean an infected machine some cannot.
    if your low on ram buy some more its so cheap these days.
    using an alternate browser such as opera or firefox can help.
    at this time the only browser that you can be hit by drive by downloads is Internet explorer.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  24. truthseeker

I have checked my computer with the KasperSpy free online antivirus check and it came up clean.

I use Firefox with Refcontrol and NoScript addons.

I won't need to buy a AV program because I do not install anything new to get a virus. And if I ever did, I will run a KasperSky online scan.

Yeah, please let me know what your C:\WINDOWS\CONFIGSETROOT contains.

I found some really weird stuff in there, even a copy of winrar which I do not recall ever downloading, and even if I did download winrar, why was it saved in C:\WINDOWS\CONFIGSETROOT? Strange indeed.

But I deleted everything inside C:\WINDOWS\CONFIGSETROOT and rebooted twice now and everything works as normal.

25. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Another option is using something like defensewall or online armor which have banking modes which helps give you safe access to online banking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.