What DNS service are you using?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Frankfree, May 12, 2019.

1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

@yegor , I for one very much like the dark interface. Too much white burn the retinas!

2. monkeylove

monkeylove Registered Member

3. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Sadly. Neither Adguard or ControlD appear there

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

2 PCs and 2 phones (2 users) get about 250k queries per months thanks to Cache Boost (5 min per query), yes it is not ideal for security, but it is just like DNS Cache in Windows, which uses 5 mins as well.
    Yes, but dark mode is not just GUI, it is like emo, it is for a specified group of people, it might look cool, but it not good for eyes, neither for a day. You could make a light mode in 5 mins, it does not even require any work.
    I block all TLDs except like 5, then I use an allowlist. If I wanted a simple DNS, I would just use Quad9.
    Thanks for the info, I was under impression, that it is automatic.
    Random fresh samples from phishtank, hybrid-analysis and app.any.run. I know that DNS can take a few hours till it gets updated (cleanbrowisng takes 2 hours), so I take that into the account.
    Considering that NextDNS's development is stalled, I do not doubt that. I am not someone, who cherishes favorites, if there is something better, I switch in an instant. Adguard is moving in a bad direction, so I keep a close eye on ControlID.

5. n8chavez

It is very easy to import/export rules with ControlD. If anyone wants a file of the 1500ish TLDs I block to import, just PM me.

6. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

Back to Adguard public DNS for now, Quad9 failing to resolve some mainstream sites lately.

7. yegor

yegor Registered Member

"not good for eyes" - first time I hear about this about dark mode :) We may add a light mode, but not a huge priority as you're the 2nd person to ask for it in the last 1+ year.

Blocking TLDs - I provided a solution that accomplishes exactly this. What's the issue?

Re: malware/phishing - did you find any failures? We subscribe to several paid feeds on top of the freely available ones. I realize 1hr rebuild time may be too long, and we're looking to get this down to a couple of minutes in the near future.

8. yegor

yegor Registered Member

9. n8chavez

10. A_mouse

A_mouse Registered Member

11. XIII

XIII Registered Member

The team behind NextDNS has launched a simpler, free, DNS service for Europeans:

https://dns0.eu

12. monkeylove

monkeylove Registered Member

I had that before but it took some time to give results, and its top answer was the same as the site I gave earlier, where you can also select by region, country, etc.

13. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/03/report-recent-10x-increase-in-cyberattacks-on-ukraine/
    "Quad9 insulates its users from a range of cyberattacks by blocking DNS requests for known-bad domain names, i.e., those confirmed to be hosting malicious software, phishing websites, stalkerware and other threats. And normally, the ratio of DNS queries coming from Ukraine that are allowed versus blocked by Quad9 is fairly constant.

But Todd says that on March 9, Quad9’s systems blocked 10 times the normal number of DNS requests coming from Ukraine, and to a lesser extent Poland."

14. yegor

yegor Registered Member

You can do this with the Some Control plan now as well.

15. X9X

X9X Registered Member

For now i´m using Quad9, no more whitelisting, because something doesn´t work for my family members :)

NextDNS was fine, but didn´t feel like renewing due to lack of support from developers. Control D is also okay, but sometimes my streaming services take long time to load and sometimes i was routed to Canada for some strange reason instead of Sweden which is closer, so did not renew.

Quad 9 and NextDNS have servers in my country and they are of course faster that those that do not.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Back to Quad9 here. It has not been without issues but I always end up coming back to it. When it works correctly it is faster than anyone else, at least from here. And other services have had at least as many issues.

17. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Next DNS - HaGeZi - Multi LIGHT

I finished just now my tests:

1.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.