What Compliments Norton?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Doco, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doco

Doco Registered Member

Hello all,

I am using Windows 7 x64 and currently have Norton Internet Security 2011 installed. I am happy with Norton so I am not looking to change this product but I am just wondering if there is anything else I can use which will compliment it.

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders!

I have NIS2011 on several machines and use MalwareBytes on most of them as a compliment either in on-demand or realtime mode, depending on the excess CPU capacity and RAM available on each. I've had either catch something the other didn't.

3. Doco

Doco Registered Member

I have the paid version of Malware Bytes somewhere so I could do that.

I was just looking at Hitman Pro, they have a bundle offer, if you buy PrevX SafeOnline, you get Hitman Pro free. Thats not bad.

4. shadek

shadek Registered Member

In case you'd go for the bundle offer, I'd wait for Prevx 4 to be released as it's currently not guaranteed that Prevx 3 users will get the full-fledged version of Prevx 4. More information will be released as soon as Prevx 4 is released in the official forum here at Wilders. :)

In history, according to PrevxHelp, users have been able to update for free so that'll most likely be the case with Prevx 4 as well.

5. Doco

Doco Registered Member

Any ideas what PrevX 4 will bring or when it will be released?

Norton has always blocked malicious websites and infected downloads before they get cause a problem. However, just suppose I download some 0day malware and execute it without checking it, will Norton be able to prevent this from taking over my system?

6. shadek

shadek Registered Member

The beta testing of Prevx will begin very soon. They (Prevx aka Webroot) are adjusting and adding new servers worldwide at the moment, that's what's holding it up. About features, here's a good thread about new features and what it'll bring:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=284091

Look at the Prevx moderator PrevxHelp's posts in this thread. They're good as they answer questions people have.

7. Doco

Doco Registered Member

OK Great.

How well do you think Norton will stand up to 0day malware?

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Thought it said Complaints :D :p

9. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Sandboxie (properly configured) should catch most anything that Norton misses.

10. Doco

Doco Registered Member

Last time I heard Sandboxie wasn't working with Win 7x64. Have they resolved that issue now?

11. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Yeah, tzuk has... :p The latest 3.55 betas offer almost the same protection like on x86.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10201

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Since you already have a license to mbam i would say add the realtime protection of that. don't forget to add the exclusions to norton to avoid any issues.

Hitman pro only costs to remove malware. plus assuming your a home user you can get a free 30day removal license.

so i dont see any point in you spending anymore money.

13. Doco

Doco Registered Member

So a Limited Account running Norton and MBAM would be pretty tight system? I guess additional on-demand scanning would be useless here. I believe I have a paid WinPatrol licence somewhere, is that worth using?

14. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I dare to say that unless you're testing malware, you're as safe as you could possibly be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.