What changed my email port settings?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Howard Kaikow, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Earlier this year, some update, I know not which, to Kaspersky AV 7.0.1.325 caused a problem opening the Thunderbird mail program.

Since then, I'd say that about 99% of the time I have to pause KAV to allow Thunderbird to open.
    Tho annoying, this did not become a problem until 11 May 2009, at which time I stopped using dial-up and started using a cable modem to connect to the internet.

Needless to say, I was very uncomfortable pausing KAV as I was now continuously connected to the internet.

However, a few days ago, I found that the port numbers in at least Outlook Express and Outlook 2003 had been changed back to the default 25. I forget whether Thinderbird was affected.

This happened only on my Win 2000 system which is hardwired to the router.
    Vista system, wireless connection to router, was not affected.

I am in the process of doing a full KAV scan of the Windows 2000 system.
    No issues were reported on the OS drive.
    And I do not see any issues with the Run and RunOnce keys in the registry.

I know now that I needed to disconnect the cable modem briefly while KAV is paused.

What are the possibilities?

1. A virus that snuck in while KAV was paused, did its damage, then destryoyed all evidence of itself?
    2. An abberation caused by IE 6 or Windows, or the mail programs themselves, changing the port number?
    3. Is this the type of problem that should have been caught by the router's firewall? I guess that I need to ask D-Link if I have the right settings for the router and firewall.
    My incoming and outgoing mail servers are at different ISPs.

Any ideas?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

Howard Kaikow, if your switch from Dial-up to Broadband required the use of a setup CD for that modem and/or service, perhaps the OE, Outlook and Thunderbird port settings were reset to defaults during such installation. It happened to me, a few years back, when I went to Broadband.

A good indication of an email client's setting overwrite will be the Throbber suddenly changing to your cable provider's image after installation.

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The move from dial-up to btoadband was on 11 May, but the problem did not occur until 22-23 May.

However, there used to be a Comcast DEsktop Doctor icon, and it seems to be gone now.

Also, the Comcast Toolbar and Comcast High-Speed Internet Wizard are listed in Add/REmove programs.

I should likely get rid of all the Comcast stuff.
    I'll give Comcast a call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.