What can you all tell me about certificate errors?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Stophel, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stophel

Stophel Registered Member

Though my trial version of NOD32 seems to be functioning well, I still get certificate errors on a couple of websites. One of which is my email. It happened all of a sudden, just a few days ago on both apparently unrelated websites at basically the same time (while I had a different antivirus program installed). It says something like the certificate is expired or not yet valid. According to Microsoft, this has nothing to do with my computer, but is a problem with the website itself. I don't get the certificate errors on another computer, however. Why would that be?

Actually, I just found another site that gives me errors. I have to sign in with my email address. That's the connection. I just got a lousy internet/email provider.... Though I don't know why things still work on another computer at work...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Is you see the "certificate is expired or not yet valid" that means just what i says. Every certificate have a start and end date and if the end date is in the past you will see this warning. I presume what we are talking about is a server certificate on the server you visit and not a client certificate installed on your computers? The reason why you see this warning on one computer and not the other could be because the date/time is wrong on one of the computers. That way the time/date on one of your computers might not be within the validity period of the certificate. Check if the date/time is correct on both computers.

I find it very hard to believe this could have anything to do with nod32.

3. Stophel

Thank you. No, I never thought NOD32 was causing the problem. I was just wondering if it was a problem with my computer or not.

4. GAN

GAN Registered Member

So did you check the time/date and did you manage to solve the problem?

5. Stophel

HAH! the date was wrong on MY computer! :oops: It thought it was the year 2000! This computer didn't even exist then (and neither did my email service!). A few days ago, I had attempted a system restore, and that must have screwed with my date.

Now, though, my NOD32 icon is red, telling me virus signature database is out of date (hey, it thinks it's 8 years old...), though I am updated. It does still say that I have 30 days left though (I just installed it today). I'll try again tomorrow to update to see if it goes green again.

Egad, something so simple had me worried. o_O

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please uninstall your current ESET NOD32 Antivirus and download and install the latest commercial version from here.

You can also try out the new v4 beta version (discussed here) which seems to be perfectly stable with no serious issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.