what can happen without a firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mantra, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Some ISPs even host malware :rolleyes:
    These are proactive measures, no matter if the machines are fully patched. If a new vulnerability emerges, you will be proactively protected by your ISP without having to wait for a patch.

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

i guess have a good ISP,after switching to my current provider,Spam stopped immediately,in howfar they intercept other malware i don't know but yesterday i tryed to send a proggie[.exe] to a friend with e-mail and it was killed by ISP on the spot. :doubt:

3. lucas1985

Your ISP mail server rejects executable attachments. That's good too.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but is sygate still alive?

5. lucas1985

No, it's abandonware, like Kerio 2.1.5.

6. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Looks pretty much alive on my system :). Of course, lucas1985 is right, it is no longer mantained, but I don't care about that.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

do u use an old version ?
    where can i find it?

8. Nebulus

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

what's up about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow

from comodo

11. Nebulus

I'm not aware of any dangerous bugs in Sygate... As for security, it seems to be quite secure (with the rules I use).

12. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes i know but did u read it

14. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Yes. It's a great program, free, uses only 1-2MB of memory and doesn't have any impact on system performance, works without problems, 0 alerts until something happens and then the answer is clear.
    But it doesn't replace a firewall.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

don't you fear about leak test?

16. Nebulus

I don't fear the leaktests, they are just tests you run yourself on your computer :). However, I am a bit concerned about the methods of "infection" used by malware, but since I didn't find a HIPS to my liking, I prefer to use safe browsing and to be a bit more vigilant instead. The only time I had security problems was when I made a mistake (and not the security software) and ran a buggy proxy, but except that, packet filter + AV combination served me well.

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yeah but the leak test are test to show how a firewall could be fooled

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    No. Leaktests are to show you how buggy the kernel is and how the OS can be fooled. Wanna fool the firewall - uninstall it...
    Mrk

19. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

A legitimate program can be unsafe. For example, if Internet Explorer or any of its 3rd party plugins (Flash, Java, etc) have a security vulnerability, and you surf a website exploiting that vulnerability, you could become infected, possibly with malware that sends data out and/or creates a backdoor for hackers to control your system. Having a firewall/HIPS combo could alert/prevent the undesired network communication of the malware. Having HIPS software could have prevented the malware infection in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  20. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

And everyone likes freeware, especially freeware that helps make your computer run better. The problem is that some browser add-on developers, freeware mfgs, especially those ^%$#%^&* browser tool-bar providers and even shareware/legit purchase-ware mfgs , like to tag on mal/spy/tracking/genuine-advantage --ware.
    I don't know if surfing was easier/more enjoyable 7 to 10 years ago, or I just didn't know any better, but after running a ""quality software FW with outbound protection + HIPS for several years, I certainly wouldn't get on the 'net w/o one. Most of the time whether it's HIPS PU, a disallowed outbound PU, or just monitoring your firewall active connections/logs, this will be the 1st indication of a potential nasty. Plus, running a HIPS/FW with easily understandable PU's which don't have to be deciphered by a computer/software engineer are excellent learning tools not only about your operating system but also about your browser and the 'net. ​
    I just wish there were more quality websites/forums that didn't have embedded connections flying out all over the place and quality software mfgs whose software didn't try to connect home every surfing moment without the user's knowledge, as it would make detecting possible malware much easier, imo.

21. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Surfing over 10 years ago was much different than today. I had no "security" related program on my PC at that time. I did not have to worry about getting hacked and getting infested by going to a website. But since then, large numbers of people (both globally and locally) got to use a PC, large numbers of businesses got online, and people who make a living "ripping people off" got online as well.

I agree that learning more about the Operating System, browser, and the 'net are good things to know from using a PC. But like a TV and car, many people don't want to bother with knowing how the circuit board works for receiving broadcast channels and few would want to know the inner workings of a car's combustion engine and ancillary systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.