What browser would you recommend :)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by msmelle, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I've been using Opera since version 5 (paid) and this really will remain my main browser. It never changed, although I do use Firefox too. :D
    A lot of FX extensions which makes browsing easier, more secure.

With Opera no extensions, since most of it is already built-in.

Both have their pro's & con's, but take your time to get to know those browsers, because you can't trial for a short period to make your judgement.
    K-Meleon is nice too. :)

It's your choice to find the one you like best as your main browser, but at the same time you can use several without problems.

Take your pick. ;)

2. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have spent years not committing to Opera the 6 months or so ago decided to make it my main browser. Now I find it just gets better and better. You do need to spend some days getting used to the way it functions.

Tabs are one of it strengths. You can leave a site in one tab and open another and so on and just go back to the other at the click of a mouse. I have had around a dozen tabs open without any problem. Unlike some browsers it will remember the last tab you were in. So clicking on the current will take you back to the last one you were in rather than going back in order across the screen.

Also like the way it handles bookmarks over the others.

You can set it to remember the its state on shut down so that on restart it will take all the tabs straight back to where you were.

Remember you can have all the browsers installed - they don't fight each other.

Hope you enjoy playing.

3. msmelle

msmelle Registered Member

Thanks again guys. I'll look into K-meleon as well. :):)

Also in Opera, when I click on a link to get here in my email, it will open up in my start page. not on the Wilder's forum page. I have a start page set up but I thought when I click on a link it would open up in that linko_O?? Melle :)

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I don't use Opera, but that is very unusual. When you point to the link, what does it say? Is it the home page URL or the Wilder's forum URL?

5. msmelle

Hi. When I click on a link to get into ... let's say Wilder's forum, it opens up but my home page also opens up in a new tab. Opera is wierd for sure. I'm still debating whether or not it's quicker than IE6. What are you using for browser :):)

Melle

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ime the slower one's connection. The more noticeable the speed difference tween browsers.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Tabbed browsing is supposed to open a new window when you click on a link on the current window. So you should have both windows available. Are you saying that when you click, you get BOTH the Wilder's forum page and your home page OR only your home page? If it is the second part of the question, then the link before you click on it should say Wilder's and not something else (you can point to it). I haven't heard of a browser opening up a link that goes to your home page only.

As a point of reference, bankrate.com will open a new window when you click on one of the displayed ads. When I use IE on that website, the original window will display the advertiser's website (replacing the previous webpage) and another window opens with the Bankrate.com website. It is sort of confusing because I thought the new window should be the link to where I clicked, but it isn't. o_O

I use IE 6 and Firefox 1.5 at the moment. 11 years ago, I used Netscape Navigator when I first went online. I only used IE when Netscape lost its user base due to MS bundling the browser to the Operating System. I started using Firefox last year when I got hit by a trojan and got a lot of pop up ads and decided to try another browser. Firefox is supposedly slower to start up than the other browsers, but I haven't noticed the delay myself (most likely because I have dialup).

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

This may be true, but I think that the contents of the webpage (e.g., big graphic files) tend to NOTICEABLY slow down browsing speed more than anything else. :gack:

9. msmelle

Thanks both for your replies. When I click in my email to go to your website or any other person's website, it will open BOTH tabs. My home page and the one to the site I'm going to. In this case, Wilders. But my page is on the left and you can see its tab, and the wilders tab is on the right (or the site page to where I'm going) and I can see its contents. Like right now, I clicked on the link in my emaili to get me to the post page and I can see the wiilders page (of course cause I'm writing on it) and I can also see a tab to my home page on the left. If I were to click on it, I would be able to see my page. www.searchmash.com (google's search engine).

Thanks for your reply. :)
    Melle

10. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@msmelle: In Opera, go to "Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Network", there you can enable/disable automatic redirection. About the tabs, go to "Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Tabs", where you can check/uncheck the alternatives.

/Cerxes.

11. msmelle

Thanks for your reply : I'll check it out. *live long and prosper*. hehe
    lol

Melle :)

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

You know what´s so frustrating to me? Just like there is no perfect security tool, there also isn´t a perfect browser, I would really like to see all cool features from Maxthon/FF/Opera (Trident/Gecko/Presto) unified in one browser, but it just won´t happen I´m afraid. Sorry for this rant. :rolleyes:

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Tell me one thing lacking in FF (with relevant extensions).
    You can even have babies with FF!
    Mrk

14. msmelle

hahahaha you are sooooo right my friend. Rant all you want cause I was thinking there is no perfect anything. lol.

15. msmelle

lol. hehehe babies with FF? well I'm not sure if I'd go that far but for me, FF has so many extensions and adons that you have to add in order to get anywhere. I'm presently testing Opera but when my page doesn't open properly, I just copy and paste the link and open in good old IE 6 and it opens right up. I might give FF another try...... I'll see when I have time. :) Thanks for replying.

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

That´s exactly what I mean, some sites don´t render properly, so you have to keep switching between browser. I´m dreaming of the perfect browser with the best engine. And at the moment my favorite browser is still Maxthon (I prefer it over Opera and FF for certain reasons), but I really miss the "quick back/forward" and "fith to width" features from Opera, and I also miss the advanced FF extension system.

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Some sites doesn't render properly mainly because of the current version of HTML, and when we have such a bad browser (IE) that doesn't respect the standards, we can aspect that web designers also doesn't respect the standards...

Currently we are seeing improvements on this area because web designers starts to add support to Firefox, by improving the quality of their web sites...

When IE really cares about the standards, we will see much less issues between the browser related of view web sites layout...

18. msmelle

Thank you for your replies. As a matter of fact, I have just installed Maxthon and giving it a try. I heard good things about it too. I'll see what happens there. :) So far so good. I guess it's a matter of taste what browser does the best work. I guess we can only try them one by one and see which one fits our taste. :):)

Melle

19. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  20. egghead

egghead Registered Member

I used to run Firefox but the latest version was sloooooow on my rig.

Decided to trial seamonkey and k-meleon. I have chosen K-meleon as my main browser: it is fast as lightning. Very impressive indeed. Love it. There is a sort of a learning curve with this browser.

Firefox is a very good browser though.

21. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, those who use K-Meleon and try it should definitely give K-Ninja a try. I find it fast, leaner, slimmer and lighter than K-Meleon.....;)

22. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Yep nice one :)

23. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Opera, hands down:thumb:

24. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A friend of mine is trialing the Safari beta and loves it. It apparently loads faster and looks better than anything, or so he tells me.

25. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Firefox FTW!!!! With adblock plus and noscript.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.