What browser would you recommend :)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by msmelle, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmelle

msmelle Registered Member

Hi everyone

I've been browsing here and there looking for an answer to this before posting but I'm a bit confused so I will ask it in this area as I'm not sure where else to put it.

I am presently using IE 6 and update regularly. I don't like IE 7. I'm not crazy about Opera and I have tried Firefox at some time but I did see on another forum that it wasn't guaranteed that Firefox was *anti spyware or malware free* and that it wasn't safer than IE although it was a good browser. So as of now, I'm not sure. But I see there are allot of knowledgeable people in this forum so I ask you this question again.

What about firefox? Maxthon? I here these names and would like to change if you think that IE 6 isn't suficient.

Thanks for your replies. :)

Melle :)

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Want super safety with no slow downs?

FF with Noscript and Adblock plus addons run through Sandboxie whilst in Returnil shadowmode.:)

3. msmelle

msmelle Registered Member

Hi and thanks for your reply. I'm sorry but I didn't understand much of what you just said. o_O

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Normally i would say Opera. It's the most userfriendly imo, and complete.

But due to recent discussions, and my experience since using Firefox again, i say Firefox with the extensions NoScript, CookieSafe and RefControl.
    Then i suggest taking a look at another thread for extensions here.

The problem with Firefox is great functionality comes with extensions, the good is the extensions :) . It can be fun to try other extensions, and not fun to look for them, so i suggest you take a peak at the thread above.

IMO also, don't bother trying other browsers, they are based on IE. There are others based on Gecko engine (FF), but not as functional.

Firefox is safe, open source and portable.

5. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

In my humble opinion, opera browser run through proxomitron web filter is an ideal config. What I like best about opera, is that it's nearly 100% configurable, you can move/add buttons and place them exactly where you want, enabling to tailor the browser for your specific surfing purposes. Notice in my screenshot, in the small search engine box with the demonoid icon, there in that drop down box there are about 30 different search engines that I set myself- all you need do, is to type or paste your search criteria, and click between the engines- very fast and useful for searching. Also the "find in page" search at the top of the browser window is great for cutting through peripheral information to get down to what youre looking for- all instances of your search term are highlighted within the page. Of course I configured it to suite my wants, you could configure it a totally different way to suite yours....

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n294/nachtvarg/Forum_Bilder/Wilders%20Security%20Forums/Operasnapshot-wilders06.jpg

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

7. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

You may want to try K-Meleon. I found it very fast and light. If you add the security toolbar, you will be able to manage cookies, java, javascript, and java applets as you browse. I never had an instance of spyware while using it (although I can say the same thing for Firefox).

8. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

I would go with Firefox with No script,cookiesafe and adblock plus extensions. You cant go wrong with them. I like Firefox because i can set it up as how i like it. There are lot of nice extensions that you can add to it. I also have used Opera and i have to say it is faster than Firefox.

Kristian

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I prefer Opera.
    Firefox is good.
    If you want a basic browser,try K-Meleon.
    Any of them are good choices.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Opera. The fastest browser. And the slower your connection. The more noticable the speed difference between browsers.

And just recently for me anyways. Opera is the best in PCLinuxOS-2007 as well. In fact in PCLOS FF has all sorts of problems with extensions not working. Whereas Opera out of the box just works.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Firefox or Opera, whichever you may like better.

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Firefox is the best browser there is. Its extension support allows you to turn in almost into a spaceship. It has absolutely the greatest flexibility and customizability.

And unlike some sites where they are paid to praise MS and downplay alternatives, I can vouch - with a pint of my bluest blood - that Firefox has no exploitable holes. They exist - in theory - just like 11 dimensions in the String theory, or the negative temperature.

Firefox has had proof of concept exploits, which is equal to say that Big Bang has been simulated in a lab. To say nothing of the Noscript extension, which makes it darn impregnable.

Of course, this does not negate user mistakes, which are the 99% source of trouble ever always everywhere.

Second choice for Windows, Opera, most likely. Although you can try other Gecko-based browsers like K-Meleon, Sea Monkey.

Mrk

13. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Hello,

Although I haven't used PCLOS, I've used many different versions of Linux with FF + NoScript without issue.

@ the OP: Not sure where you read that FF isn't "spyware or malware free" but that's certainly not the case, as long as you download it from the official site.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ok this is getting on my nerves. My fault. I attach importance to this.

Opera is complete compared to Firefox.

FF takes like a dozen extensions to get anywhere near the functionality of Opera.

15. SirMalware

SirMalware Registered Member

I've used Opera with Proxomitron for years. I can go places in the Internet that IE users only dream of.

16. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

SirMalware:
    I reaffirm your interjection ;)

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The answer to the topic's question is K-meleon.

It is VERY fast -- not just because I say so, but by actual test.

18. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I moved to K-Melon two months ago. It's not that I dislike FF, and it's very safe, but I find that it's a real memory hog and it's way too slow. K-Melon is blindingly fast and allows one to configure it to specifications that I've found are as secure as any other browser that you would care to name.

19. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Did you get the javascript issue in v1.1 resolved?

20. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Im Opera user for more than 4 years now. Its really powerful when you become familliar with it.

I use it with linux as well.

There is like 5% of pages where you need IExplorer and I always submit these to Opera.

THat WAND password tool is amazing feature!

21. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

K-meleon is by far the fastest browser I have ever used on Windows. Plenty of privacy functions included as well.

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Just, Opera.

24. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Camino anyone?

Does Opera run on mozilla engine?

ontopic: My history of browser use: serveral years of ie6, year or so firefox, several years of opera now and im liking netscape 2. Went back to firefox this week but once you go Opera it's hard getting back.

25. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.