What Basic programs should a person have

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Nod Newbie, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nod Newbie

Nod Newbie Registered Member

Hi all, With all the things one can get for protecting a computer against different internet threats,what is the basic things a Person should have installed on their computer. I have Nod and adaware ,Super Anti Spyware.Do I really need a firewall or anything else on my computer.I am just basically surfing and playing the odd online games on my computer.Thanks

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I always insist on myself and clients being behind a NAT router for starters.

SuperAntispyware is pretty good. But the ultimate answer depends on what you do, where you frequent, what you do online. Are you low risk user that can be "smart" in what you do? Or do you frequent risky sites, and use that system infesting p2p software?

Myself? Behind a NAT router, all windows update, I never leave the local Administrator password blank, I use NOD32, and I use Opera for surfing. That's it for me.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , you need a firewall , this is something extremely important

You can read more here
    http://www.eset.eu/threat-center/security-tips
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Useful protections , besides NOD32 and your firewall , which you can use for second opinion :
    Spybot Search and Destroy , Ewido Micro Scanner ...

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

HI Nod Newbie, I always recommend 2 programs, NOD32 and Online Armor, together with a software Firewall such as the FREE ZoneAlarm will give you a solid security setup. You can see various combinations within a link in my signature.

Cheers :D

5. Nod Newbie

Nod Newbie Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions all. Sorry for the late response had major computer issues.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

At the very least you should have NOD32 :D and windows xp firewall.

If you want freeware, a basic setup i'd suggest is antivir pe, windows defender and zonealarm free.

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

It's hard to recommend a particular setup because each of us here have a unique set of program and/or hardware that we are comfortable with and that works for use. You can see my signature for my setup. Generally, I would say a good AV, of which NOD32 2.7 seems to be arguably at the top, or definitely top 2, a firewall (rile based if not being a router) and a host file. That should be it for basic security.

BTW, I would not recommend XP's built in firewall. Use something with a bit more muscle.

8. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

A firewall is the most important program that you use, it is very possible - and has happened to many people, including myself when I forgot to install it after a new installation,- to get a virus after only 5 seconds on the internet.

I tried all the firewalls I could get and found Agnitum's Outpost the best, although it is rule's based it's as great a firewall as NOD32 is an anti-virus program.

SUPERantispyware is good but after 3 activations you have to get back to them to have more activations setup, because of that I've gone back to SpySweeper now that Webroot has got the problems fixed in 5.2. Yes, I know you can transfer the activation, but you still have to re-activate. As far as I'm concerned I paid for a program and I'll re-install it as often as I want to.

Spybot & SpywareBlaster are essentials in my opinion, a lot of people use them. Every little helps in the fight against the parasites.

A new one out, SocketShield monitors incoming files etc for Rootkits, now, there are real troublemakers when they get going, get one and you couls be in big trouble.

9. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I agree, all i use is NOD32 and a fully updated PC running xp pro (with windows firewall on), sitting behind a router with NAT/SPI firewall. Never had any issue or the drag of using a software firewall on performance.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i agree with that and i think a nat router is a must. i installed all the windows updates sitting behind a router when setting up my neighbours laptop then after i updated the av and windows i ran a scan and it found nothing which is ideal.

11. CtlAltDelete

CtlAltDelete Registered Member

Why is this in the NOD support forum?

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It could br considered a support question I suppose.

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

A firewall should be a #1 priority.Whether we're talking a router or software firewall,you need something.
    #2 would be an antivirus.Avira AntiVir PE Classic is excellent and free.Avast is a good free av.For the paid programs there are a number of good choices-Kaspersky can be expensive,but a good program anyway.NOD32 is another highly-regarded av program.You almost have to trial some one at a time to decide for yourself what you like the best.
    #3.I really like BOClean as a monitor against malware.No trial,just a money-back guarantee.You could supplement BOClean with a free scanner like AVG AntiSpyware,A-Squared,or SUPERAntiSpyware.I use the three of them.

That would be a good basic start for security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.