What are your PC specifications and security scanners?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Everybody on this forum is fond of running ( or boud to run) multiple real time security appliances on his PC[ me --more fond of rather than bound to!!].

Of course as you increase the no of real time scanners( and other constantly running utilities not related to security), your system slows a bit depending upon multiple factors. At the moment I have installed about 6 real time scanners( in addition to other constantly running appliances that are not security related) and i feel my system realy slow( esp when I use internet--dial up victim!!).

Sometimes I feel in order to run a good securiy software bundle, we need a horse-like PC which can run fast inspite of all this load. So I thought it will be a good idea to know what sort of PC wilders, members use that runs all this stuff,-- just curious!

First I wil start from myself, I have Toshiba satelite M 70- 129, 1.73 dothan, 512, 40, 15.4, XP Home SP2`and I run NIS, winpatrol free, Prevx1R, MSAS, Antihook, Ewido trial( still guard is working), also i have a dial up monitor and about 6 yahoo widgets that un all the time.( I do intend to drop few of these in future).

Before this notebok I shared my friend,s desktop( self constructed type), Celeron 2.4, 256, 80 with XP Pro SP1 and I used to run McAfeeAv, ZA Pro, Spyware guard/MSAS and a dial up monitor on it. I did not feel it much sow( SP 1 faster than SP2 according to one of my geeeky friend-- True?).

That,s all, and I wil like to hear about your setup and security scanners etc.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

At the present I am running four realtime security apps. Almost no resource hit with what I am running. As far as my comp specs. More than adequate. and for security apps, effective.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thank, and will be more thankful if you can be a bit more specific.

4. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

Greetings aigle

PC specifications does not always come into play.......there can be two identical computers.......one User is in-experience and the other User has been out to the barn an knows the ropes..........the in-experience User has no idea how to tweak a computer but the experience User tweaks his computer an needs to install a Cooler to cool it down............so, with that in mind.....

Dial-up is what dial-up is.........you can only get so much....an thats it.......you can't sip an apple through a straw........by law dial up max is 53000 in the US......most people get 45-48000........52000 sometimes.....
    but thats the the beginning and end.....there are tweaks that can make dial up perform better.......but rarely will you see that subject posted at this forum....it would be somewhat out -of -order.....all I will offer on this subject is to advise you to check the Port your modem uses....most likely its set at 9600......you can boost that up to at least 57600.....thats enough!
    as for your computer being sluggest....maybe its trying to tell you something.......sure, its fun testing programs....but sometimes the Ye Ole Computer says "Hey, enough already"......."give me a break"

aigle you appear to really be putting your heart into this computer thing.........you are to be admired for your effort.........there is lots to learn...........an it takes time.....

Very Best To You

5. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

This lil program may help you some....but its not a cure-all for a bloated computer

AnalogX MaxMem - optimize your PC memory

Have you ever noticed how your computer always seems to run better after rebooting, your browser opens faster and pages appear to load a little faster? Do you wish it could be that peppy all day? Well, now it can be with a little help from AnalogX MaxMem

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/AnalogX_MaxMem/maxmem.html

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

most memory optimizers are hoaxes but i have used them in the past.

neways click here to view my specs. and heres my setup (for my athlon 64 system; my athlon xp system only has look n stop and nod32 as resident)

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    If you have a strong pc you won't feel any difference.
    The heaviest setup on P4 2400 with 1Gb ram includes ups, mobo utility, shadowsurfer, 3 anti-virii (one real time, 2 on demand with some of their processes running for updates), firewall, anti-keylogger, anti-worms, anti-spyware, peerguardian, emule, vmware processes.
    A total of 57 processes, about 300Mb page memory, I don't feel any slow downs.
    I even have a stronger machine than this (for gaming), and even when I load it with lots of stuff, I do not feel any slowdowns. A powerful processor plus enough ram and you don't need to worry about any slowdowns.
    But I did notice that nero 7, roxio easy creator, bitdefender anti-spyware and counterspy take loads of cpu and slow down the work, so it's rather the matter of coding individual softwares rather than their quantity, I feel.
    Mrk

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I suppose im a bit of an exception:

NOD32 on a P3 866 laptop. (Office and web dev machine).

My 1.3ghz server runs peergaurdian (and Emule 24/7) also running IIS, music archive for laptop, data backup etc.

Lean and Mean.

9. MojoWorkin

MojoWorkin Registered Member

I run 7 "real-time" AV's: (maybe overkill, but I'm clean)
    Zone Alarm w AV (CA assoc. brand AV)
    WebRoot SpySweeper
    Lavasoft AdAware SE plus
    Lavasoft Ad Watch (comes with pd vers.)
    Spyware Blaster
    SpyBot SD
    XoftSpy
    And 2 on demand scanners:
    FSecure Blacklight BETA
    HighJack This
    I can't see any slow downs, except when a scan starts unannounced... usually during my gaming.
    As for the ZA wAV, it does really well in P2P and catches "corrupted" files within 5 secs and stops dnld.
    Screenie:
    http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/6888/antivirusappls1xi.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.