What are your opinions on Pc-cillin 2002?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fatpizzaman, Jul 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatpizzaman

fatpizzaman Registered Member

What are your opinions on Pc-cillin 2002's detection rates and how powerful it is in detecting and ELIMINATING viruses? I mean on numerous occasions, using like Norton Antivirus 2002 and Kaspersky Anti-VIrus I have detected numerous viruses, but haven't been able to clean or eliminate them!

2. controler

controler Guest

I love the program myself although you don't see any reference to it by PC Flank types. The files you say can't be cleaned? are you sure you are not talking the actual virus filed and not other files that have been infected? You don't need to clean the actual virus. You need to delete it.
    Your best bet is to download all the nasty stuff you can find and be very carefull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are hip on reformating your hard drive
    often don't do it. :D
    Then make your own conclusions about the various software.
    I can tell you this and I am still checking on it.
    Norton will not detect the nasties in the HIDDEN System Volume Information Directories. PC-Cillin and TDS-3 do
    Anybody else noticed this?
    These are files created for system restore. The are exact duplicates of the originals except the file names are changed.
    THESE ARE NOT SHORTCUTS!!!

3. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi,

x:\System Volume Information which contains the restore files for WinXP (something of the kind for WinMe too) are protected system files out of reach for AV/AT. In the security settings, you must take the administrator privileges
    on those files to access and clean them with your AV or AT.

Be carefull : never open a session as administrator when you connect to the W3, a limited account is more secure by far.

Rgds,

JacK

4. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Maybe can following review help you, but as you know, 10 articles, 10 different ratings!

ZDNet Review, May 6, 2002

Trend Micro's PC-cillin 2002 impresses even as it disappoints. Its low price (around $40), thoughtful user interface, and extra features make it an attractive choice for the home user looking for antivirus and firewall protection. However, its mediocre performance in our lab tests keeps it from earning our strong recommendation. For comparable protection, we recommend Norton AntiVirus 2002, along with the free, stripped-down version of ZoneAlarm 2.6.

Clean, easy-to-navigate interface
    Before installation, PC-cillin's setup program quickly checks your system for viruses. Once it's installed, you'll find a single icon in the system tray, which you double-click to launch the PC-cillin main console. This single, clean interface provides access to all of the software's functions and settings. It's much easier to navigate than many antivirus programs we've tested, including Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro 4.0 and NOD32, which require you to juggle multiple, confusing interfaces. PC-cillin also makes it simple to schedule scans of specific folders or hard drives, something not every antivirus product does.

Mixed results on virus protection
    We were impressed by the breadth of PC-cillin's virus protection. It scans for viruses within compressed file archives, and its WebTrap feature keeps harmful ActiveX and JavaScript code from executing on Web pages. The PC-cillin For Wireless function protects Palm, Pocket PC, and EPOC PDAs against viruses and worms.

However, we found PC-cillin's antivirus protection rather shallow. While the program found most viruses in our battery of our labs tests, it failed to catch a copy of the I Love You virus when we modified its file size. This suggests that PC-cillin cannot adequately detect new strains of existing viruses before the software's virus definitions have been updated.

To test PC-cillin's virus-cleaning capabilities, we infected a system with the Gibe worm and enabled the antivirus protection. Although the real-time antivirus scanning recognized the worm running in main memory, it failed to stop it or to delete the files. We then ran a complete scan of the hard drive, which removed some of the virus's support files but left the two main virus programs intact with a notification that they could not be removed. We were forced to use Explorer to go to the Windows directory, find the virus executables, and manually delete them in order stop the virus.

Firewall, too
    In addition to the virus protection, PC-cillin's software-based firewall protects against Internet intruders. Its Site Filter function further restricts access to certain Web pages, although we're not sure how this feature would be useful, since the user must manually specify the offending Web pages. In general, firewalls bundled with antivirus products tend not to be as robust as standalone firewalls such as ZoneAlarm Pro 3.0 or BlackIce PC Protection 3.5.

Knowledgeable but unhelpful support
    PC-cillin claims to be able to delete viruses from incoming POP3 e-mail before they ever reach your in-box. However, we weren't able to get this feature to work, even after our phone call to tech support (available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT) and a search of the extensive troubleshooting information on the company's Web site. The support staff had heard of the issue but couldn't find a workaround or a fix for it.

Priced at $39.95, PC-cillin 2002 includes a year's worth of antivirus signature updates, making it one of the best values in antivirus software. Despite the glitches we encountered, it's still worthy of consideration. For a dependable, all-around antivirus package, though, we continue to recommend Norton AntiVirus 2002, our Editors' Choice, along with the free version of Zone Alarm 2.6.

Notes: It was interesting to note that the program was unable to recognize the I Love You virus after we changed the size of that file.

Link to review: http://www.zdnet.com/supercenter/stories/review/0,12070,561142,00.html

Ciao,

Smokey

5. controler

controler Guest

Jack

What I was trying to say is on my Windows XP home addition,
    runninmg a full system scan will NOT detect the copies of trojans,
    viruses ect in the System Vlolume Information folder
    and so far I have noticed both Pc-Cillon and TDS-3 do detect them there. I am NOT saying these programs will actualy delete them without turning off the system restore option in Windows ME and Windows XP. TDS-3 will tell you they have been deleted though.
    Also TDS-3's current delete does NOT do a complete file wipe
    Scavenger 2.0 still detects them after delete
    Am I writing in circles again? LOL

6. Raygun

Raygun Registered Member

I have had excellent response from PC-cillin. My pop-3 works fine. Although I could do with out the pop-up window that tells me it's working, many would love that. It has real time net watch and has found viruses before they completely downloaded and prompted me to stop them. If PC-cillin can't delete a file it TELLs you so you can just go delete the damn thing. That's not rocket science. It runs smoothly in the background and has never given me any troubles which I have had with Norton. I have read the posted reviews of PC-cillin and I see three basic hits against it:
    1. in the first review they claim mediocre performance and give NO details then promptly promote Norton. (this is seen many places with Norton, be forewarned that what this reads in between the lines is Norton gives us kick backs!)
    2. This review talks highly of PC-cillin up until this "failed to catch a copy of the I Love You virus when we modified its file size." Well ok I see what they are saying, but PC-cillin has a live update and continues to support their program so hopefully covering these issue. My point is I never hear the guys saying Norton is so great changing file size on there tests!!!!!
    3. the final issue I find is that PC-cillin was not able to delete a virus file. Yet the very review that says this tells us that PC-cillin said so and directed them to the "bad" file so you can delete it. I see no problem there, in fact I like this. Not all files can be deleted as they may be in current use, therefore telling you so lets you make sure you take the proper proceedures.

PC-cillin is a very good program and I would use it tens times over before touching that piece of crap that has the name Norton. Why? Because Norton NEVER place nice with everything else you want to run!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.