What are the URLs of images?

Discussion in 'Image Gallery' started by noduser, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noduser

noduser Registered Member

Hi, I've noticed that the URLs of images on vbulletin forums are masked. For example, the image in this post is qemu.png, however, the only URL given for it is

Code:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=194558&stc=1&d=1193775325
    As you can see, that URL doesn't end in qemu.png, so it's not the actual URL. The actual URL probably looks something like this:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachments/qemu.png

I find it to be interesting that a website can actually hide a URL of something from me and at the same time display it directly. I also mainly want to know because it would come in handy for another vbulletin forum I browse, which only allows in-site hotlinking (we have a gallery); if I had the actual URLs of attachments, I could re-use images attached if I needed (unlike Wilder's, the fake URL does not work for hotlinking on this website).

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The attachment.php based links are the only way to get to the images uploaded to the forum. The images aren't stored in their original format, and there isn't any direct way to access them. They are stored as data blobs which attachment.php processes, and sends out to the browser as if they were simply files in a normal webroot directory.

3. noduser

noduser Registered Member

Wow, interesting. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.