What are the "Must Have" extensions for Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Wow people look at this extension - Drag & DropZones:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5595

This is very usefull to search for something very fast. Just select the text and drag and drop it to the desired search engine box. You can even save images by dragging it to a box (not enabled after install).

2. raakii

raakii Registered Member

imacros for firefox....to automate repeated solutions

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

As few as possible:

No Scripts
    Ad Block Plus
    CS Lite
    Roboform

Have just re-intsalled removing other "must have" extensions and no FF loads much faster.

4. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

AdBlockPlus - a good trade-off in adblocking between speed, ease-of-use and effectivity
    ABP Blocklists - EasyList, Easy Element, Malware.Com and some local + persona lists
    ABP+ Element Hiding Helper - for those frame/text/div ads
    Classic Compact Theme - to maximize the html rendering area of the window and minimize toolbar
    CS Lite - easy permanent cookie allow by domain (block by default)
    CustomizeGoogle - Mainly to change default search language without being logged in to google account
    Download Statusbar - because the Downloas window is too big
    DownThemAll! - decent enough mass downloader
    GreaseMonkey - for some site specific kill scripts
    Linkification - turn text URLs into linked / clickable URLs
    NoScript - with Allow global on by default (don't ask)
    Perspectives - to handle / check those SSL certificate issues
    RefControl - to spoof referers by domain basis
    SSL Blacklist - SSL security... now testing
    Ubiquity - great community sharing based script automation - still under beta/construction
    Undo Closed Tabs Button - movable button for a pop-up menu of closed tabs (undo list)
    Undoclosetab - helps with the control of undo closed tabs in a way that is not configurable within FF3 by default
    Wikilook - great addition to look up words in a tooltip type window, without opening another tab

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

halcyon - the thread is entitled "Must Have" not "Most have" :D

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Must/most...depends on your personal interpertation :p

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

This thread has 9 pages so many are already listed. I have quite a few but recently found these.

I like to save web pages such as the support threads where questions and answers are provided.

Title Save
    Save Complete

For those still using dialup 56K (like me)
    Tweak Network​
    (FasterFox not compatible for Firefox3.0)

edited.
    I have removed the "save complete" since Title Save will do it both if you change the file type option.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If you try to save this page, what does it save as?

9. GroverH

Pedro,

Title Save
    Whatever the title is of the thread you are reading.
    User has the normal Windows option to save either as web page html or webpage complete

Title Save Firefox extension
    save-as-1.png

The Save complete extension needs a title typed by the user.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thank you GroverH, it seems to be the same as File Title.
    There has to be something different though.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Went through some search enhancing addons, and think this is a nice one indeed. What i don't understand is why Web Search Pro didn't work for me (same author), but this one did.

I've also added:
    Add to Search Bar - Just make a right click with the mouse pointer on top of *the page's* search box and choose "Add to Search Bar..."
    Organize Search Engines - Organize your search engines with separators and folders.
    This is definitely only for power users with dozens of installed search engines. But those will surely appreciate it.
    Context Search - Expands the context menu's 'Search for' item into a list of installed search engines. Hold Ctrl or middle-click to open results in a new tab, Shift to open a new window.
    This one fits perfectly with Organize Search Engines. It's basically a context menu entry for your already installed engines.

I already added 2 search engines, and organized the least frequently used in folders. Google and Wikipedia for instance are outside the folders for normal/quick use.

termBlaster - termBlaster adds the ability to perform searches from your right-click (or context) menu using one of 110+ websites that range from search engines to encyclopedias to translators. Website lists are in XML format and can be modified in your Bookmarks Organizer.
    I'm waiting for 2.0 to make up my mind. 2 context menu entries, quick list and a search engine' jungle for, well everything :)
    With the default Firefox Google entry, it's perfect. Quick search, not so quick, and special search.

I'm juggling with these to see which to keep. I'll probably do away with termBlaster or Context Search. I'm waiting for termBlaster 2.0 which should solve a problem i have editing the quick list.

I bookmarked also (not using) :
    SearchWith, since it's also good. You choose 1 search engine per "Service" (blog, dictionary, encyclopedia etc.). It's simple to use like that for someone who wants just that, but i found it limiting when i wanted more.
    SearchLoad Options - Tweak the searchbar's functionality.

I bothered with this long post since i lost a lot of time (and patience) in the addons maze. Perhaps it can save someone frustration.

12. GroverH

For me, AutoPager is a real "must have" Firefox extension. If you browse multi-page forum threads or websites, , I believe you will like it too. With this extension, you will not have to click on next page for it to load next. The next page will already be loaded when you are ready for viewing .
    Extract:
    "The AutoPager Firefox extension automatically loads the next page of a site inline when you reach the end
    of the current page for infinite scrolling of content and more."
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4925

13. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Recently I imported my del.icio.us bookmarks in the Firefox 3 places.sqlite database.
    And so I discovered that as long as I used del.icio.us as my main bookmarking service I was ignoring the Smart Location Bar features that is offered by Firefox 3.
    Now I also enabled my browsing history, because that also shows in the Smart Location Bar.

With the bookmark tags I probably don't need del.icio.us anymore, as long as I backup and synchronize my bookmarks with the extension foxmarks.
    I'm actually surprised that no social bookmarking service has started to integrate it's service with the Firefox 3 bookmarks databse.

I use Lastpass as my password manager.
    Also the Free Download Manager extension is installed.
    And today I discovered feedly, which integrates my Google reader subscriptions in a pretty home page.

Does anyone know about a service that integrates social bookmarking with the Firefox 3 bookmarks database?

Oh, I almost forgot auto dial, which creates a nice speed dial page based on browsing history. It shows in new tabs.

add-ons.png

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  14. tlu

tlu Guest

Thanks a lot for this hint - this is really an excellent extension that makes life a little bit easier :)

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Very handy. Thank you GroverH.

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Can you enable that AutoPager only for selected websites?

17. boonie

boonie Registered Member

AdBlock Plus
    Roboform
    Download Helper
    GreaseMonkey
    KeyScrambler
    NoScript
    Tab Mix Plus
    XLP

I've also found Read It Later is a nice way to quickly save web pages, for example an article, that I don't want to permanently add to bookmarks.

I also use Hyperwords for multi-search, but have been trying out an experimental add-on called Searchbastard, thus far I'm finding it pretty handy. Also allows you to clean up search results to varying degrees, no adds etc.

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I used Read it later for a while, but then i realized i had Scrapbook. I made a "Read It Later" folder and removed that addon.

19. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i got this cool google one, it makes the page go black! it works with greasemonkey, all you do is install greasemonkey then click where it says "Install Google Dark Script"
    http://www.07designs.com/gdark/

i hacked mine and added Linux and Video to the searches :cool:

i got Personal Menu too, i hid the menubar and have my bookmarks and a tiny menu like button next to the addressbar -
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3895

i get a bit scared when i upload screenshots incase there's something strange in the screenshot :ninja:

Firefox.jpg

EDIT: i'm going to get the auto pager too. i got one for opera that works with google if anyone wants it? it's the one in the post by splondike, called google-pager.js -
    http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=219758
    actually here's a direct link -
    http://files.myopera.com/splondike/files/google-pager.js
    it's a userjs, this page explains how to install it -
    http://userjs.org/help/installation

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  20. screamer

screamer Registered Member

21. tlu

tlu Guest

I had applied this patch some months ago and, yes, it works very well. Under Ubuntu (and probably other Linux distros) nsLoginManager.js can be found in /usr/lib/xulrunner-x.x.x.x/components. Replace x.x.x.x by the newest version - up to 3.0.5 it was 1.9.0.5, now there is a new xulrunner version 1.9.0.6. So after updates you might need to repeat these changes - although already saved passwords for those mentioned sites can still be used. Patching nsLoginManager.js is thus only necessary for new sites that do not permit saving passwords.

22. axial

axial Registered Member

23. tlu

tlu Guest

24. axial

axial Registered Member

Thx, thomas -- although I use the scroll wheel I never click it in any app. Is that like admitting my brain is starting to get hard-wired... :oops:

25. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Just had the time to read all the thread.Thx for mentioning this addon.Combined with one of Fire Gestures addon abilities(search selection with)it's ,very useful for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.